Diabetes and LC

Options
lsz06773
lsz06773 Posts: 10 Member
I'm not new to diabetes, been type 1 for almost 16 years now. But I recently, after having my second child, decided that I needed to take better care of myself. So in doing some digging around, I came across LC lifestyles. I have been working on counting carbs and calories for almost 2 months now. I started with just trying to keep carbs under 100 grams a day, not subtracting fiber at this time. Since starting that, I feel so much better, my blood sugars have been so much better. I guess what I'm trying to say is I am trying to connect with others that have similarities. Feel free to add me. :)

Replies

• BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking control of your health! I am not diabetic, but I am insulin resistant and have had gestational diabetes (I know, totally different than T1). It makes so much sense to treat the disease proactively with what you eat instead of reactively with more insulin.

I think the biggest thing is knowing you are an experiment of one, and you have to constantly learn what works for you and what doesn't.

Best of health to you, and welcome to Low Carb life!
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Isz06773 :) Glad you are feeling better and congrats on your babies. I also have two kids but my girl is almost 8 (Can't believe how fast it goes) and my son is 6.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lsz06773 wrote: »
    I'm not new to diabetes, been type 1 for almost 16 years now. But I recently, after having my second child, decided that I needed to take better care of myself. So in doing some digging around, I came across LC lifestyles. I have been working on counting carbs and calories for almost 2 months now. I started with just trying to keep carbs under 100 grams a day, not subtracting fiber at this time. Since starting that, I feel so much better, my blood sugars have been so much better. I guess what I'm trying to say is I am trying to connect with others that have similarities. Feel free to add me. :)

If you use a CGM, does it also measure ketones?

Assuming not, your insurance carrier may cover blood ketone strips. (I was flabbergasted :o:p when mine recently started covering testing supplies.)

Good luck!

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Find the facebook page TypeOneGrit. They are all T1D's achieving normal, non diabetic blood sugars with a keto life.
    Their goals are A1c's in the 4's and 5's without lows :smile: and they do it!
  • lsz06773
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

If you use a CGM, does it also measure ketones?

Assuming not, your insurance carrier may cover blood ketone strips. (I was flabbergasted :o:p when mine recently started covering testing supplies.)

Good luck!

I am currently fighting with my insurances to get a new insulin pump (my old one is out of warranty) and a CGM. My goal is to hopefully have those and start by January 1. The current CGMs I am looking at do not track ketones. That would be done on the urine strips, which should be covered by my insurance. I am not pushing myself into ketosis at this point, but it is a possibility in the future.
  • lsz06773
    Options
    Find the facebook page TypeOneGrit. They are all T1D's achieving normal, non diabetic blood sugars with a keto life.

Thank you! I will check them out! Currently my goal is an A1C below 7 because of how poorly I have been taking care of myself. From there my goal will get tighter. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Thank you! I will check them out! Currently my goal is an A1C below 7 because of how poorly I have been taking care of myself. From there my goal will get tighter. :)

My daughter is 22 and T1D. She started keto in February when she also went back on the pump. She took her A1c from over 14 to 7 in 9 weeks. Then to 6.8 by the end of 3 months. Then she got so much praise from her doctor that she didn't think keeping to strict keto was necessary anymore and went to only limiting carbs but indulging regularly in potatoes and sweets. Bam! Back up to over 14 again! I'm kinda grumpy about that right now.
    But, it's awesome how fast keto can create health.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I don't want the keto flu or stress to mess with me too much.

@isz06773 ...then make sure you pay special attention to getting in your electrolytes and plenty of 'em, especially salt (3000mg -5000mg per DAY)!!
  • lsz06773
    Options
    @ladipoet I know that I am sensitive to most changes and with my current levels of stress and commitment, I physically cannot add that to my plate at this time. It is a possible goal in the long run to get closer to keto, but I have no desire to do that at this time.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good luck and congratulations on the baby and the determination to be better at controlling something that sometimes makes us feel out of control. Baby steps is how I am working it too, learning to listen better to my body. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet I know that I am sensitive to most changes and with my current levels of stress and commitment, I physically cannot add that to my plate at this time. It is a possible goal in the long run to get closer to keto, but I have no desire to do that at this time.

Since you're not trying to get into ketosis, it shouldn't be necessary to up your fluids and electrolytes to avoid feeling like you just ran 5 miles in flip-flops with a tuba on your back.

But if you start feeling that way, it may be that your total carbs less fiber gives you a low enough net carb count (for you, personally) that you're already there!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard and congrats for your new choices for better health!