Liquid Diet

Options
jennyb319
jennyb319 Posts: 36 Member
I'm struggling with the liquid diet. It's day 3 and I'm starving. Any tips or tricks? I don't want to "cheat", as that is a trigger for me, but I'm so hungry.

Replies

• StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't want to cheat. The liquid diet pre-op is to ensure your liver shrinks. This helps avoid nicks which can be very serious/life threatening. How long is your liquid diet? Mine was 3 days.

Every doctor is different. I have co-workers going through the process and their surgeon won't allow them to drink protein drinks. My surgeon encouraged it! I drank Muscle Milk to help keep my hunger in check.

Unfortunately, you ARE going to be hungry because no matter how much Jell-O, popsicles or whatever other liquid you take in, it's not a solid food.

What helped me was knowing that it would all pay off in the end and a lot of extra sleeping. Nyquil helped in that regard!
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Try Unjury Chicken Soup - it's amazing! Lots of protein, good flavor and aroma. You can do this! Your surgeon will thank you, and YOU WILL LOVE THE RESULTS! Hang in there! :)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I had to do a two week liquid diet. I drank a lot of warm bone broth with a little hot sauce...it was a nice reprieve from the sweet protein shakes and something about the spiciness was very satisfying.
  • Minskygirl
    Minskygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Some warm chicken broth helps me. It doesn't kill the hunger but something warm in my stomach helps a little. I feel your pain I'm on week 3 of what feels like starvation. I did two weeks of Medifast pre-op which is practically all liquid. And on my 7th and hopefully final day of clear liquids after surgery. I should be approved for the pureed stage tomorrow. I have lost about 20 pounds during this process so far. Hang in there! Our surgeries are close to the same time so I hope we can be a support to each other
  • Minskygirl
    Options
    Oh and I agree with Steven. Extra sleeping helps :/
  • Minskygirl
    Options
    Akindofmagic, do you have a link for the chicken soup?
  • jennyb319
    jennyb319 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Broth helps. Last night hubby got my favorite chinese food.. I'll admit I had a bite but just chewed and didn't swallow. That helped. It's like I just had to chew and gum wasn't doing the trick.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    http://www.unjury.com/products.html Expensive, but so worthwhile - and think of all the $$ you're saving on the food you're not eating! Also, your insurance may cover it during the pre- and post-op phase, too.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It gets better; I used sugar free jello and pop cycles to indulge myself. Be sure you're drinking 64 oz water daily, that helps fill you up. And post-op you won't be hungry, so it won't be a problem. It's all worth it!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Day 5 the hunger totally went away for me. I felt at peace with not eating for an additional 9 days.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Popsicles were the key for me as well. But, as anbrdr says, the real bonus was recognizing that this is the last challenge of the pre-op phase and being good with it as the big day approaches. Try to see it as a positive sign that you can do *anything*!
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Day 5 the hunger totally went away for me. I felt at peace with not eating for an additional 9 days.

• mikejdeleon85
    Options
    I'm trying a liquid diet just cause the fact the last 6months I've gained about 30lbs

I know it's not the best but someone I know lost 30lbs in 2weeks while preparing for the gastric.

I'm against the surgery so I'm trying this to jump start weight loss then get back on eating right

Good luck to all of you hope all went well
  • mikejdeleon85
    Options
    How many days did u do the liquid diet?