Anyone extended fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you inspired me, I'm just over 24 hours since the last time I ate and I'm going to take it into tomorrow to see how far I can get.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    you inspired me, I'm just over 24 hours since the last time I ate and I'm going to take it into tomorrow to see how far I can get.

Awesome! I was surprised at how easy it was for me. But it seems now that I started eating tonight I can't stop. Lol. But I kept my macros good for the day.

I'll be doing another fast in a few weeks as long as I'm not pregnant. But I'll probably need to plan out some things to keep me busy, or I'll do it during the week while I'm working.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just listened to Primal Blueprint podcast interviewing Jimmy Moore about his fasting book. He says the second day is the hardest and if you make it that far you should just go ahead and push through to a third day because you got to the hardest part so why not push through that to see how much easier it gets after that?
    I wasn't great at extended fasting but I haven't tried it much. It was easier the most recent attempt as compared to previous ones and Jimmy does say that it seems to get easier the more you do it.
    I may plan to try more than 1 day after the holidays are over. Maybe even do a couple 24 hour ones before then to prepare.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    well I stopped at 45 hours also, I'm pretty used to a 20-24 hour fast. I find that the 22nd hour and last night the 28th hour was a little tough. but I wasn't hungry at all today. I could have kept going but I stopped at my mom's house and she wanted me to try her keto bread so I gave in. I'm going try for a 3 day fast after Thanksgiving.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've made it to 46 hours with nothing but decaf coffee, decaf tea and salted broth. Like you, I have insulin resistance. Currently I do IF twice a week, but I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could do a 36 hour fast. Once morning came, I wasn't hungry and just waited to see when I would actually feel hungry. I had been eating <20 g carbs for about 3 months at that point. I felt pretty good during and after the fast. Good luck to you.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Do you do any exercise during your extended fasting period?
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do you do any exercise during your extended fasting period?

I don't really exercise at all, but I'm interested in trying fasted exercise.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I just listened to Primal Blueprint podcast interviewing Jimmy Moore about his fasting book. He says the second day is the hardest and if you make it that far you should just go ahead and push through to a third day because you got to the hardest part so why not push through that to see how much easier it gets after that?

Hmm, I can kind of see his point, but I would also wonder about the "moving the goal posts" aspect of it. I think *knowing* that it gets easier can help someone get in the right headspace when planning an extended fast, but deciding to extend a fast already in progress could lead to potentially negative stuff --- like feeling like a failure if one didn't keep going, or trying to beat someone else's time, or ignoring important body cues, etc.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I lasted 5 days once. I had some outside unhealthy stress contributing, though. I really felt much better than expected physically. I finally caved when sleep became difficult.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you do it. I can last until about 3:00pm, but then I'm ravenous, and can't concentrate on anything.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Hmm, I can kind of see his point, but I would also wonder about the "moving the goal posts" aspect of it. I think *knowing* that it gets easier can help someone get in the right headspace when planning an extended fast, but deciding to extend a fast already in progress could lead to potentially negative stuff --- like feeling like a failure if one didn't keep going, or trying to beat someone else's time, or ignoring important body cues, etc.

I took it as just pushing past that hungry feeling that comes on strong apparently the second day. Assuming of course that anything other than that would end the fast. He definitely says to end it if you aren't feeling right. Given that hydration and sodium needs are met. He also supports having bone broth and even kombucha along with coffee and tea and of course water as much as you feel is necessary.
    It was a good explanation how to baby step into fasting and progress into longer ones. He even suggests that anyone without excessive bodyfat should probably not do extended fasts.
    It definitely stirred my interest in the book. Maybe it'll be under my tree this year. Lol
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've done over two days before. I haven't hit 72 hours... I felt like eating before then. ;)

I enjoyed it at the time. It felt incredibly empowering and it was shocking how little hunger I actually had.

Blood glucose went lower. I was pretty much constantly in the 4's (usually between 80-90) which was great for me. My fasting BG is usually high and fasting was the only thing that knocked it low.

It's the only was I get above trace readings on ketostix too. LOL

I honestly think the thought of fasting is harder than actually doing it. KWIM?

Good luck. Are you testing BG during your fast?

Bingo! The thought is terrifying to some people (like my sub-5.0-A1c spousal element :neutral:), especially around the gooey holiday season, when almost everyone would pop out the other side in the new year strutting more comfortably in their once-fitting clothing with the help of a few fast days.....
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott aren't they already 'popping out the other side in the New Year?'
    10391537285_026ec7c839.jpg
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Beastly, @canadjineh !