Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. Terrified, Please guide

Options
Hi,

Diagnosed with diabetes type 2 few weeks back. Very terrified, worried. 254 pounds, 5' 11'', 40 yrs old.

Please guide and suggest with ways to help.

Thanks.

Replies

• JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! If you are able try and see a dietician and also walk at least 10 minutes after you eat. Walking/exercise will help lower your blood sugar.
    Also, try and avoid "white food" such as white rice, white bread etc and eat more veggies (not starchy ones) drink at least 8 cups of water per day.
    There is not one diet that fits all...but try and cut back on sweets and don't drink calories....
    I don't want to overwhelm you with info but if you have questions ask!! Someone is bound to answer.
    What is your A1C?
    If you are going to make any changes I would say walk, drink water and avoid sweets and white bread and rice till you have some classes!!
    Best wishes!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It's a second chance at better health and fitness. See it as an opportunity and embrace you journey. It will make a difference how you go on....
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Rajendra, how are you doing? :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I followed the advice in Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, and to a lesser extent, that in The Obesity Code. They are very good books to start with, especially Bernstein's book.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I followed the advice in Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, and to a lesser extent, that in The Obesity Code. They are very good books to start with, especially Bernstein's book.

In addition, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes University series on YouTube lives up to its name, and it's free.

It's all down-to-earth, practical information from one diabetic to another - except that he's been treating diabetic patients for nearly 40 years (and has been successful enough to help many of them get off meds entirely).