Holiday self care

Options
Mersie1
Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
Hi all! Just thought I'd start a thread that we can all come to when feeling... it doesn't matter. We are all here bec we feel- a likely we all feel things quite deeply, intensely at times! that's such a great quality of ours. Yes, that's the same quality that can make us make not productive be choices while we attempt to handle our feelings. This is def the season for intense feelings- good, bad and everything in between. What activities, hobbies, games, hacks have you found bring you happiness, laughter, peace, or even just pass the time (as sometimes that's necessary too!)

Taking my dogs for a walk. It gets me out of the house- it allows me to listen to good music, get away from some challenging people or conversations, or fill up some boredom. Plus it reminds that doing something for someone else feels good. And best part- it stops of if my pups- even just for a few min- from having "the zoomies!"

Anything can be put on this list.

We all need to remember to savor the good this holiday while enduring the difficult. The hard moments will pass.

Sending you all big hugs!

Replies

• lilltessiiie
    lilltessiiie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great idea!
    Speaking of feelings and holidays; I feel stressed out by all the family meals when you're "expected" to eat a tone of food, try all the deserts and all of the dishes. The stress usually makes me binge right before the gathering, and then I kind of don't want to have all of the food. Which makes my grandmother really sad because I can't force myself to have a slice of every single one of her 4 different home made pies and cakes... Anyone else have the same problem?
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Ok I love this thread and I want to say I'm so sorry for being MIA the last week. It's been a rough week but I am ready to rock the next 4 weeks before Christmas. I'm doing a reset tomorrow. Yeah not today. We are getting our Christmas tree today and I have a night of holiday drinks and enchiladas planned lol. But tomorrow is a real reset. I feel super motivated to tackle this next month. @lilltessiiie thank you so much for all your love and support all the time. @Mersie1 I am so happy you are here and thank you for being active and checking in. It really helps when I'm down and feel like staying away to come here and see the constant support here. I'm so blessed to have all of you who are part of this group ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    Ok I have a confession to make. I never want my profile picture to be my face because I think I'm so ugly. I am embarrassed. I changed it to my face for a half a second then was mortified by how ugly I am. Thanks for listening. I just had to let you know why I don't show my face.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    The stress of the holidays gets me in many different ways, food, self-image, energy levels... my primary goal this holiday season is to remember my worth. Kicking the negative self talk is much easier said than done! When I get in a self-loving frame of mind, I am more confident and satisfied w my eating, social interactions and even enjoy my time alone more! When I'm mean to myself I get stuck in some sort of dark abyss where food seems like my only escape and time stands still!

I now just giggle as I make myself say nice things to myself- out loud if that's the only way I'm going to hear them! I can be a huge pain in the *kitten*! Or delightfully determined (see- I said something nice about myself!)

Holiday peace by any means necessary!

• lilltessiiie
    Options
    @Gettingfit2017 Don’t say you’re ugly. You are a person who care about other people, even people you don’t know. You are able to give love and support even in times when you’re struggling yourself. You reach your hand out to others without expecting to get anything back. You make great efforts to improve and make progress in your life. Those are beautiful traits, and you are a beautiful person.

@Mersie1 We all need more self-love. Thank you for creating this discussion board. Let's do this together; embrace our successes and let go of our failures. And keep saying nice things about yourself out load. That's wonderful :D

I will be off for vacation the next coming 10 days, so I will be quiet here for some time. 10 days at a resort with buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Deserts at every meal. I’m terrified already….
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Any tips on managing anxiety would be really welcome. Holy hell, anxiety is the devil. I maybe slept an hour last night. Not sure what triggered it- felt fine, relaxed when I laid down, then just couldn't fall asleep- my pattern of late has been, I feel hungry and am so terrified of going back to restricting, I'll eat something. Sometimes it will just be a little something sometimes more than a little. Then I really can't sleep and the ... shocking- my mind gets into and before I know it- it's 3am, 4am ...

I'm trying to free up space on my phone to install a meditation app which might help but I know it will take more than that. I'm 45 so I'm sure hormones play into the trouble as well.

My plan: do some sort of mediation (or my version of it, every night before sleep.)

Not check my phone

And try not eating. I am eating more than what my ED dietician is recommending so its likely not true hunger. She thinks I may have set of up a habit and I will need to just push through and establish a new routine. I swear I'm not even aware of it until I discover I've been awake for 2 hours and have eaten. She really wants me to continue normalizing my eating. Eat during the day, 3 meals, plus snacks... nothing crazy, but not eating at 1am. Hard bec I'm also supposed to Listen To my hunger signals.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    @Mersie1 I have suffered from generalized anxiety for as long as I can remember. I'm now 44 and I have found that with my fluctuating hormones it has gotten worse the last couple of years. I was on lexapro for a year. It helped some but I quit taking it. I probably need to get back on it. 95% of my binge behavior is linked to my anxiety. The millisecond the anxiety starts peaking there goes the eating. It's horrible because once it starts I can't stop it.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    @lilltessiiie have a fabulous vacation! We will miss you. Enjoy yourself!!!!
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    Back home again. How are you all? How are you doing? <3