Yogurt

Options

Hi struggling low carber here!

I love yogurt and eat that twice a day. I like plain and vanilla. One cup worth when I have some. Am I screwing up my diet? I never realized it was loaded with sugar till being on MFP. What would be a good alternative? Thanks!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    All yogurt will have some sugar because it's made from milk which has sugar in it naturally. You should be able to easily avoid yogurt with added sugar. Plain greek yogurt will have less sugar per ounce than plain yogurt because some of the sugar is removed with the whey. Full fat yogurts will have less sugar than yogurts made from skim milk. You can make your own vanilla by adding a few drops of vanilla extract to plain yogurt and skip out on the sugar that is almost always added to the flavored yogurts. You can make your own greek yogurt by straining plain yogurt overnight, but you will get half as much yogurt, so if you can find greek yogurt it's usually just as cost effective to buy it already made.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Hi struggling low carber here!

I love yogurt and eat that twice a day. I like plain and vanilla. One cup worth when I have some. Am I screwing up my diet? I never realized it was loaded with sugar till being on MFP. What would be a good alternative? Thanks!

Watch the serving size, stick to Greek style, full fat.I always do only a half cup to keep carbs and cals. down.

As someone else mentioned add your own vanilla flavoring. I like to add raw cocao powder to some with a handful of berries. I too like my yogurt and have found if I don't have it a couple of times a week, my weight stalls every time. Other things can make me stall but this is one I noticed early on in my dieting "career."
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I eat Kroger's Carbmaster brand. It does tasted like conventional yogurt, however I am not sure if it is really yogurt or as the label states: a dairy blend? whatever that is.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I can't live without yoghurt. I suggest making your own if you have any reliable sources of raw milk around. Also check out this yoghurt drink "ayran" it's basically a bit of yoghurt, salt, and water (1/4 ratio or more water). Blend well. You can also add mint to taste. This will be lower carbs and more filling. The higher fat the yoghurt, the less carbs.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @solska, it's also called a salted lassi (for those who like Indian food.) My fave drink when I get to eat Indian out - especially on a hot day. Cold day is black tea with chai spice blend or cardamom, but no milk.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As mentioned, Greek Yogurt tends to be lower sugar. You can also pretty easily find full fat varieties. Also, there are a lot of really good low and zero carb vanilla protein powders that you can add to it for some flavor and protein, which does away with the sugar that's usually added to flavored yogurts.

Also, peanut butter makes a really awesome addition as well, and bumps the fat content up.

ETA: yogurts tend to be extremely low GI, with relatively low GL. Lactose just breaks down at an absurdly slow rate.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I eat plain unsweetened Greek yogurt every day. At 3.2 carbs per 100g I think it's harmless and I need it to keep things moving.

::flowerforyou::
  • lowcarbfitness
    lowcarbfitness Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel less guilty now. Will stick to plain from now.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is definitely incredible in Greek Yogurt. I often add lemon or lime flavored olive oil as well.
    As mentioned, Greek Yogurt tends to be lower sugar. You can also pretty easily find full fat varieties. Also, there are a lot of really good low and zero carb vanilla protein powders that you can add to it for some flavor and protein, which does away with the sugar that's usually added to flavored yogurts.

Also, peanut butter makes a really awesome addition as well, and bumps the fat content up.

ETA: yogurts tend to be extremely low GI, with relatively low GL. Lactose just breaks down at an absurdly slow rate.

• lowcarbfitness
    lowcarbfitness Posts: 410 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Did you just say lemon flavored olive oil yogurt? Interesting!
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very refreshing. Tastes slightly like lemon meringue pie :smiley:

• solska
    Options

I just tried this lime and chili flavored chobani dip and it was amazing, main ingredient is strained yoghurt.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I make my own full fat Greek yogurt. For those of us with chronic digestive issues, home made yogurt fermented 24 hours (versus the eight hours that yogurt making machines usually call for) and without any of the various commercial additives is a boon.

Also, here's an article claiming that the carb count for a cup of long-fermented yogurt is much less than for a cup of milk. I tally a carb count of four for a cup of my own yogurt. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

https://www.verywell.com/eating-yogurt-on-a-low-carb-diet-2242531
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    In no particular order:
    1. Capretta Greek Goat Yogurt (Plain) - very creamy, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute;
    2. Redwood Hill Farm Goat Yogurt (Plain) - very creamy, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute;
    3. White Mountain Probiotic Organic Bulgarian Yogurt (Plain) - very creamy, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute...also, this comes in a LARGE jar so it goes bad quickly if not eaten in 4-5 days;
    4. Kite Hill Artisan Almond Milk Yogurt (Plain) - creamy but has an odd tanginess to it given that it's almond milk based, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute;
    5. Carb-Master Yogurt (they come in several flavors - just make sure it's the kind without the fruit) - their flavors aren't the best but if you don't want to mess with flavoring your own, they are probably the way to go.

I've tried all of these myself. Hope this information helps!
  • solska
    Options
    I really like a couple of the yoghurt brands mentioned here. Especially Redwood goat yoghurt. I'll just say that I never sweeten my yoghurt. I know it's an acquired taste for some but most of the world doesn't sweeten it.

It's also a pretty great sauce base for lots of meat dishes. Mix it with garlicky tomato sauce and melt butter and you will know what I mean. Also mixed with bolognese it's pretty amazing. And last but not least mash it with roasted eggplant and garlic.
    ladipoet wrote: »
    In no particular order:
    1. Capretta Greek Goat Yogurt (Plain) - very creamy, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute;
    2. Redwood Hill Farm Goat Yogurt (Plain) - very creamy, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute;
    3. White Mountain Probiotic Organic Bulgarian Yogurt (Plain) - very creamy, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute...also, this comes in a LARGE jar so it goes bad quickly if not eaten in 4-5 days;
    4. Kite Hill Artisan Almond Milk Yogurt (Plain) - creamy but has an odd tanginess to it given that it's almond milk based, but needs to be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sugar substitute;
    5. Carb-Master Yogurt (they come in several flavors - just make sure it's the kind without the fruit) - their flavors aren't the best but if you don't want to mess with flavoring your own, they are probably the way to go.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada, yummiest are Olympic full fat 11% Krema Greek Plain Yogourt (like cheesecake, lol, no sweetener needed as it is creamy and not too tangy), and Liberte Mediterranee 10% Plain Greek Yogourt. Also awesome and not too tangy/sour. They make a 10% fat Goat Milk one too.

If you can spare the carbs they make an amazing French Lavender one (with real sugar though.)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    In no particular order:

canadjineh wrote: »
    Here in Canada, yummiest are Olympic full fat 11% Krema Greek Plain Yogourt (like cheesecake, lol, no sweetener needed as it is creamy and not too tangy), and Liberte Mediterranee 10% Plain Greek Yogourt. Also awesome and not too tangy/sour. They make a 10% fat Goat Milk one too.

If you can spare the carbs they make an amazing French Lavender one (with real sugar though.)

Thanks for the recs, fellahs!

Q - What's special about Bulgarian..... goat's milk?
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Iceland style "skyre" or quark are some other greek yogurt alternative; these options shave off a few carbs/serving (about 3g or so) vs. greek yogurt. Plain of course. Budget wisely & conservatively for keto. Skyre has more of a sour taste to it vs. greek yogurt; not as strong as sour cream but about as sour as kefir
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Thanks for the recs, fellahs!

Q - What's special about Bulgarian..... goat's milk?

No, I don't think the White Mountain brand is made out of goat's milk...just regular dairy; however, the White Mountain brand contains loads of probiotics!