Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Options

Replies

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sun:

I'm hypothyroid too and work a desk job like you do.

I kept my weight loss to myself until people began noticing. They still don't know I do OMAD. I just tell them I'm eating healthier. You don't have to share if you don't want to. In fact, it's better if you don't share. I've found that most people don't notice what you eat anyway. You don't owe an explanation to anyone. Keep a cup of water or tea on your desk and keep drinking to keep you full.

Come and post here and we will support you.

All the best to you.
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Name: Justin
    Current Weight: 222lbs (was 233lbs couple of weeks ago)
    Height: 6ft
    Past struggles: over last few years I have become fixed with food, having to snack and eat all the time
    Goal weight: 192lbs
    Eating window: 18:00-19:00 hrs
    Start date: 19/11/16 - 11lbs loss so far!

I like the fact I can eat what I want for that one meal, that way I don't feel like I am missing out... this has really helped with those naughty snacks in the evening!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Justin! We are getting to be a nice sized group. Welcome! I've been adjusting to OMAD. Start date for me was Nov. 14th. I'm trying to break a long standing weight settling point.

I was on 2MAD for a little bit of time but was simply maintaining on that. I'll likely return to 2MAD (16:8 lunch & dinner w/ no snacks between) when I go back to maintenance as it was effortless for me.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Welcome Justin...
    Great loss so far. I agree with you that you don't feel deprived on OMAD because you can eat anything you want for dinner. It's much better than eating a little throughout the day and never getting truly satisfied.
    Glad you're here and looking forward to hearing from you often and your experience on this great program.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Justin!
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Name: Justin
    Current Weight: 222lbs (was 233lbs couple of weeks ago)
    Height: 6ft
    Past struggles: over last few years I have become fixed with food, having to snack and eat all the time
    Goal weight: 192lbs
    Eating window: 18:00-19:00 hrs
    Start date: 19/11/16 - 11lbs loss so far!

I like the fact I can eat what I want for that one meal, that way I don't feel like I am missing out... this has really helped with those naughty snacks in the evening!
    cid_C3BBB9E8-5454-47BA-BAF2-CE8A202.gif~c200

We're so GLAD you're here Justin, please make yourself at home and feel free to post. You're doing really really well thus far--YAY YOU!
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - my target is to lose 2 lbs per week, every week. I have set a splurge date every two weeks, so Sunday was my last, then 11th December will be my next, followed by Christmas day (that simply has to be a splurge day).

I have also started P90X3 again as I want to ensure I do some decent exercise to maintain my muscle and fitness, which I have been sporadic with over the last few years, but as it is 30 minutes and includes yoga and pilates I can't go wrong! I am doing this when I get home, right before I break my fast.

Looking forward to really getting back into shape.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    leeyuhsee wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm confused as to what you mean in going easy? Like, are you saying that I should not exercise? Because I've been running, playing tennis, and dancing for years. Are you saying that I should not be doing them? Lifting weights is admittedly new, but I'm not a heavy lifter by any stretch of the imagination. And when I run, I usually go for 2-4 miles. I'm not running marathons.

Remind me again of how much you want to lose?

Your losses will be a LOT slower when you incorporate anything by way of exercise that is more intense than brisk walking. That is the #1 reason people write me about slow to non-existent weight loss. I tell them universally to back off on most physical activity while at a calorie deficit, and it ALWAYS works. They write me back to tell me that.

Your body freaks out due to the fact that your caloric expenses exceed your body's ability to burn fat to meet the calorie needs. You therefore release cortisol like that, which holds onto fat. So I say, drop off the exercise until you are at your goal weight. But this isn't as serious unless you have a lot to lose, which you don't seem to have. That's why I said "go easy" on the exercise and balance it with your loss goal.

Can't stress what I've laid out enough, though; your activity levels need to be relaxed.

I want to keep muscle mass. Is strength training okay? It doesn't burn an inordinate amount of calories. I had done some recomp and don't want to lose any of the benefits from that.
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - my target is to lose 2 lbs per week, every week. I have set a splurge date every two weeks, so Sunday was my last, then 11th December will be my next, followed by Christmas day (that simply has to be a splurge day).

I have also started P90X3 again as I want to ensure I do some decent exercise to maintain my muscle and fitness, which I have been sporadic with over the last few years, but as it is 30 minutes and includes yoga and pilates I can't go wrong! I am doing this when I get home, right before I break my fast.

Looking forward to really getting back into shape.

Sounds like a fabulous plan, especially with your splurge days! You're going to make your goal, for sure working OMAD! YAY YOU!!!!
    encourage_mint_poster-r29972264b982449b86a31cc8c78648e1_wv3_8byvr_324.jpg

ETA: You may want to start your own thread, to keep track of your progress too. It's a great tool to help with your progress and hanging out posting will help you tremendously as you get closer to your goal too!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Oh I just love the Encourage Mint!!!!
  • Nymba
    Nymba Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ...your name: Virginia
    ...your weight: 118
    ...your height: 4"11"
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing:

I use to weigh 100 when I was in my 30's and was feeling the best at that weight for my size. I have managed to get down to 118 by following a low carb diet. I have been following omad for three weeks now and have not lost any weight. I am thinking that it could be because I have been following MFP's recommendation of eating 1200 calories a day when my BMI is only 1041. So I have decided to drop my calories to 1000 in order to see a little weight loss.

I know that I do not have much weight to lose, but at 54 years old with a low thyroid problem it's not easy. My husband has been eating omad for years although I have always wondered how he could only eat once a day. Since I have been eating omad, I find it is not as hard as I thought it would be. I just tell myself that I can't have it now but can have it later at my eating time like Joe advises.

I was able to quit smoking 6 years ago and quit drinking coke (soft drinks of any kind) last year so I feel that I have the determination to follow this way of eating now. It's a mind set and new way of living. Once I hit my goal weight then I will be able to increase my calories to 1200 to maintain that weight. Being so short and in menopause shouldn't be a reason for not trying to be a healthy weight.

...your goal weight range: 100
    ...the time of your OMAD: 5:30 _ 6:30
    ...and your OMAD start date: Nov. 14th, 2016
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Welcome, Virginia!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Howdy Virginia, Justin, and Cat!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Nymba wrote: »
    ...your name: Virginia
    ...your weight: 118
    ...your height: 4"11"
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing:

I use to weigh 100 when I was in my 30's and was feeling the best at that weight for my size. I have managed to get down to 118 by following a low carb diet. I have been following omad for three weeks now and have not lost any weight. I am thinking that it could be because I have been following MFP's recommendation of eating 1200 calories a day when my BMI is only 1041. So I have decided to drop my calories to 1000 in order to see a little weight loss.

I know that I do not have much weight to lose, but at 54 years old with a low thyroid problem it's not easy. My husband has been eating omad for years although I have always wondered how he could only eat once a day. Since I have been eating omad, I find it is not as hard as I thought it would be. I just tell myself that I can't have it now but can have it later at my eating time like Joe advises.

I was able to quit smoking 6 years ago and quit drinking coke (soft drinks of any kind) last year so I feel that I have the determination to follow this way of eating now. It's a mind set and new way of living. Once I hit my goal weight then I will be able to increase my calories to 1200 to maintain that weight. Being so short and in menopause shouldn't be a reason for not trying to be a healthy weight.

...your goal weight range: 100
    ...the time of your OMAD: 5:30 _ 6:30
    ...and your OMAD start date: Nov. 14th, 2016

Great job getting down to 118 pounds! Since you are petite I can understand how you could stall at 1200 calories a day.

Congratulations quitting smoking 6 years ago. That is a long time! My dad smoked from age 13 to age 64. He is 78 years old and feels better now than when he was younger.

Three weeks on OMAD isn't very long. I've only been on it three weeks as well. The first couple weeks I struggled a bit as my body adjusted to the change.

I have maintained for so long at my current BMI that my body wants to stay within this settling point range. I think I will have to stay at the same calories that I eat now and up my activity level. That way I can burn a couple hundred extra calories a day to lose a pound or two a month.

I've lost 10 pounds and want to lose 10 or 15 pounds more. I have a whole wardrobe one size smaller and don't want to have to replace it. Although by the time I fit back into my previous size I'm sure the styles will be outdated.

• Nymba
    Options
    Thank you DebSozo for your comment. The last little bit of weight to lose is always the hardest they say. Takes longer to lose it but will come off. My new motto is "Onwards and downwards!"
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Nymba wrote: »
    Thank you DebSozo for your comment. The last little bit of weight to lose is always the hardest they say. Takes longer to lose it but will come off. My new motto is "Onwards and downwards!"

You can do this!
    :)
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Welcome Virginia....my sister is Virginia so I won't forget you.
  • Nymba
    Options
    Thank you SavedByGrace. It's wonderful how the people here make you feel so welcomed. Glad to be here. :)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Welcome Virginia....my sister is Virginia so I won't forget you.

I grew up in Virginia, so I won't forget either.
  • rosiserem
    rosiserem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name ... Roseline
    My current weight 200 pound
    My starting weight 204 pounds
    My height 5 feet 4inches
    Not been able to lose even 1 pound for the last 5 years yet I have been exercising, going to the gym, home videos, and eating normal portions
    My goal weight range is 155 to 165 pounds
    My OMAD time is 1800 to 2100
    My OMAD start date was 5th December 2016

I have been reading about intermittent fasting and came across one meal a day concept in youtube about 6 months ago. At that time I was doing some home video exercises, without any weight loss at all. When I try to do those extreme diets, I am not able to sustain them because it also takes time for any weight loss to happen and very discouraging for me. I suffer from PCOS, which I have read online that it might be making it difficult for me to lose any weight. What triggered me to take this program is the fact that I started serious exercising in the gym (both cardio and weight training), which I did for 2 months. All that time, I was not weighing myself, because I did not want to be discouraged. Unfortunately, I fell ill and had to go to the hospital, where my weight was taken. I was super shocked that I had not lost even half a pound. I was soooo discouraged and that is when I decided to start this OMAD program, once I finished my antibiotics. It is actually my last resort, after which if I don't succeed, I will just give up and be happy with my weight, make the best of it, and exercise to stay fit.