Torani syrup

Options
13»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've never had a SF sweetener I didn't like. My ongoing goal is to get this sweet stuff out of my life. I do keep 1 bottle around for "emergency" with full fat plain yogurt. Coconut. Good but not so tasty and versatile that it calls my name. The method to my madness.
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a dedicated SF Salted Caramel user... but I've also tried and liked the Cinnamon Vanilla (wish it was more cinnamon than vanilla though) and the toffee. I am wary of the fruit flavors, but may have to give them a try in club soda or some such in the warm weather here in the desert.

Off topic, also a former IA girl here... born and raised in Cedar Rapids!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    mickigoad wrote: »
    I'm a dedicated SF Salted Caramel user... but I've also tried and liked the Cinnamon Vanilla (wish it was more cinnamon than vanilla though) and the toffee. I am wary of the fruit flavors, but may have to give them a try in club soda or some such in the warm weather here in the desert.

Off topic, also a former IA girl here... born and raised in Cedar Rapids!

I've used the red raspberry in coffee, and it's not bad, assuming I use my MPI with it to cream/foam the mix a bit. By itself though, it's terrible in coffee.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I need to look for the article but I read somewhere that banana flavoring is actually based on a type of banana that no longer exists. That's why it's not what we recognize as tasting like bananas.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I need to look for the article but I read somewhere that banana flavoring is actually based on a type of banana that no longer exists. That's why it's not what we recognize as tasting like bananas.

Funny you mention that. I was reading or watching something the other day about bananas and the Gros Michel (I think that's close) banana (Panama) was wiped out in the 1950s by a fungus. It is said that imitation banana flavoring is most like that type of banana.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Funny you mention that. I was reading or watching something the other day about bananas and the Gros Michel (I think that's close) banana (Panama) was wiped out in the 1950s by a fungus. It is said that imitation banana flavoring is most like that type of banana.

That would definitely make sense. In fact, I probably read the same article mentioned. It was actually a piece based on the fungal infection that wiped out that older strain of banana, and how the current common banana reached prevalence due to being resistant to said fungus. However, the fungus has adapted over time, and started attacking the current bananas as well, so it's likely that rhe ones we see so much now will be wiped out and possibly replaced with a new strain in the next few decades.