Again with the calories question

Options
2»

Replies

• MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    98% agree here. There will be some "hungry days" which may be the result of your body needing certain micronutrients - just think pregnancy cravings. These are often triggered by the mother's body needing something.

That said, we all need to be careful about understanding hungry in contrast to habit eating.

Totally agree that is one of the things I'm really focusing on - am I hungry or am I eating out of habit?

But I do worry that if I'm not careful and I eat at too much of a calorie deficit I will lose too fast and have to deal with the side affects of malnutrition (losing hair, skin issues etc - I did that in college and on top of losing hair I had irregular heart beat issues that required all kinds of testing due to my family history, I would rather not even toe the line of not eating enough and dealing with malnutrition).

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, I just bumped an older thread on hunger vs. cravings - has some great posts....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10431377/starving-immediately-after-eating
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have a fitbit/jawbone or any fitness tracker , then this is simple. In the interim, continue doing what you're doing with the calories MFP tells you to eat. Next, I would suggest you wear a fitness tracker for a week and learn more about the daily calories you are burning. Write down the amount you burned for each day. Find the average amount of calories you burn.

From there , you subtract roughly 900 calories (this is your deficit, and it could be lower like 600, or higher like 1000 depending how agressive you want to get with your weight loss) from that Average Daily, to get the amount of calories you should eat. You put that number into MFP for your overall daily calorie goal and ignore all MFP suggestions about daily calories needed. After that you just set up your macro goal percentages for low carb (high fat) 70 F/ 25 p/ 5c or your choice of any suggested low carb macros. At the end of each day, subtract the amount of your calories eaten in MFP from the amount showing on your fitness tracker for calories burned, to ensure you hit your deficit goal (900, 600 or 1000)

Don't forget to always enter your food into MFP before you start eating it :) weigh, measure , enter into MFP, weigh, measure , enter into MFP!

I like to view it like my meal ticket... I only get a meal after I do the work up front that is required for it , weighing , measuring and entering the meal to MFP, then making any adjustments on the quantities or choices.