1 week LCHF losing weight too fast?

Be9465
Be9465 Posts: 36 Member
I must have had a boat load of stored glycogen. I've lost 13 lbs in my first 7 days. 35 year old male, 283 lbs bio impedance scale 34% BF. My issues so far were about 5 days of liquid BM'S about an hour after my "bulletproof" coffee. A little research made me decide to cut my recipe from 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil down to 1. I was ravenous on the hungry side every day all day for the whole first week. I've had no signs or symptoms of a "keto flu" maybe due to supplementing with magnesium, eating spinach and avocados for potassium, and hitting a chicken bouillon cube in water every other day. I've kept my diet at 2200 calories and 70% fat, 20%protein, 5% carbs. I haven't paid much attention to net carbs since about all carbs come from broccoli/spinach/avocados. Made some fat bombs to make sure I was getting enough fats and calories in. I'm concerned with 2 things right now. 1. Now that I'm finally feeling full after meals will I even be able to get enough calories or will I have to force myself to eat or should I? 2. If this weight continues melting off so quickly isn't it unhealthy, and not wanting to eat will keep me from being able to slow it down? Just don't want to mess up my health, the whole point in losing weight is to be healthier any way.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    I lost 8 lbs my first week...and I'd been losing already on CICO alone...it will slow, level and become "normal". Welcome aboard!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    On the other end of the spectrum, I just gained 15 pounds in 36 hours from a massive structured carb refeed, and I only weigh 173 as of right now. So yeah, given your starting weight, the loss you speak of isn't out of range at all.
  • Be9465
    When I decided to try and lose some weight I stocked up on a week's worth of low fat meat, chicken breast, super lean ground turkey, couple cartons of egg whites, decided to try LCHF so I had to find some fat and the coffee and fat bombs were a way to eat enough calories while keeping macros where they should be. This week I have me some chicken thighs, salmon, pork chops, bacon and eggs, so I don't need anymore fat bombs/fatty coffee. Looking forward to the chops and thighs, two of my favorites.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Be9465 wrote: »
    When I decided to try and lose some weight I stocked up on a week's worth of low fat meat, chicken breast, super lean ground turkey, couple cartons of egg whites, decided to try LCHF so I had to find some fat and the coffee and fat bombs were a way to eat enough calories while keeping macros where they should be. This week I have me some chicken thighs, salmon, pork chops, bacon and eggs, so I don't need anymore fat bombs/fatty coffee. Looking forward to the chops and thighs, two of my favorites.

My favorite way to fix pork chops is use egg wash and "bread" them with crushed pork rinds and fry 'en up in some garlic butter. MMMM....GOOD!!!!

As far as forced eating, already good advice up here about not doing that. As you lose weight, what you need to maintain will also go down. This means at some point the 2200 calories you are eating now will be your maintenance amount. Take advantage of the low hunger when it happens
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Welcome! Totally normal first week loss...it won't continue that fast. Don't force yourself to eat, the whole point of LCHF is that your body is able to run off fat stores and doesn't need to eat as much/frequently. You will have hungry days again.
  • Gallowmere1984

That is nearly identical to the route I took. I've always eaten a very protein heavy diet, so the transition into a higher fat intake was pretty easy to do, simply by altering which parts of the various animals I bought. Replaced chicken and turkey breasts with thighs and wings. Replaced sirloin with ribeye and porterhouse. Replaced pork loin with ribs and bacon, etc. the only thing that I never managed to find a good enough substitute for, was my favorite protein powders, but due to their nature, it was pretty easy to find various ways of adding fats to my shakes, sludges, etc. Hell, most recipes for said things involve peanut butter these days, so it just became a game of mathing out ratios. Luckily, it doesn't take much PB to get a pretty good amount of fats in.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I remember posting the exact same question about a year and a half ago! The responses I got was to basically enjoy it. As long as you are meeting your protein needs, and not starving yourself, just go with it. The fast losses won't last forever, and the lack of appetite will/may change over time too. I know it did for me. I approached my maintenance weight and it was likle my appetite suddenly switched on. Like my body said, "That's enough." TBH, I wish it had switched on 10 more pounds down the road. ;)
    On the other end of the spectrum, I just gained 15 pounds in 36 hours from a massive structured carb refeed, and I only weigh 173 as of right now. So yeah, given your starting weight, the loss you speak of isn't out of range at all.

Wow. Soooo.... what did that day's food look like?

Ya know, I swear I did the same thing with my last pregnancy when the nausea finally quit. LOL
  • Gallowmere1984
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I remember posting the exact same question about a year and a half ago! The responses I got was to basically enjoy it. As long as you are meeting your protein needs, and not starving yourself, just go with it. The fast losses won't last forever, and the lack of appetite will/may change over time too. I know it did for me. I approached my maintenance weight and it was likle my appetite suddenly switched on. Like my body said, "That's enough." TBH, I wish it had switched on 10 more pounds down the road. ;)

Ya know, I swear I did the same thing with my last pregnancy when the nausea finally quit. LOL

It was basically ten bagels, various stuff like Chex Mix, and some random higher carb lower fat protein bars like NuGos.

As it turned out, about 75% of what I gained ended up being a buttload of water bloat. It wasn't from the carbs, but from the fact that I've been used to the keto "moar sodium" way of thinking, and wasn't watching that. I ended up consuming like 26g of sodium and minimal potassium in that period, and ended up looking like a waterlogged corpse. I'm finally starting to shed it with the aid of a buttload of greek yogurt, sweet potato, asparagus, and OTC diuretics, paired with keeping sodium intake below 2000mg/day.

It's really making me wonder if that's not what's biting a lot of keto dieters who "fall off the wagon". Lots of salt effects me little. Lots of carbs just refill my glycogen stores and I look and feel more lean. Put the two together, and bad things happen. Never doing refeeds with bagels again. Potatoes ftw.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

When I started trying to lose weight I went with the low fat diet also. Then when I switched to LCHF I had a similar experience like you. I started putting heavy cream in coffee, cooked with butter and coconut oil, and added cuts of meat that have more fat.

Last night I had chicken thighs with skin on which I can't remember the last time I had that. With the low fat diet it was all about buying low fat everything. Now I can eat full fat food and enjoy feeling satiated on less food.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016

It was basically ten bagels, various stuff like Chex Mix, and some random higher carb lower fat protein bars like NuGos.

As it turned out, about 75% of what I gained ended up being a buttload of water bloat. It wasn't from the carbs, but from the fact that I've been used to the keto "moar sodium" way of thinking, and wasn't watching that. I ended up consuming like 26g of sodium and minimal potassium in that period, and ended up looking like a waterlogged corpse. I'm finally starting to shed it with the aid of a buttload of greek yogurt, sweet potato, asparagus, and OTC diuretics, paired with keeping sodium intake below 2000mg/day.

It's really making me wonder if that's not what's biting a lot of keto dieters who "fall off the wagon". Lots of salt effects me little. Lots of carbs just refill my glycogen stores and I look and feel more lean. Put the two together, and bad things happen. Never doing refeeds with bagels again. Potatoes ftw.

That us why I turned to LCHF in the first place. I hate that bloated, waterlogged feeling.
    ETA-- well also started LCHF for blunting appetite, less carb cravings and improving health.
  • Gallowmere1984
    DebSozo wrote: »

That us why I turned to LCHF in the first place. I hate that bloated, waterlogged feeling.

During my higher carb maintenance periods, I have no issue with it, so long as I keep sodium in check. It's like some kind of screwy joke by the food industry. You have to either avoid high sodium, or high carb, and they do everything within their power to make it a pain in the *kitten*. xD
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Treat my body like my car and just add fuel when the tank gets close to empty. Gonna add in 20 minutes of fasted steady state cardio upon waking this week.

This is your car version of doing a street race LOL
  • Be9465
    Week 3 results, another 2 lbs. down. Feel much better about the slower loss. 2 lbs. a week is what I am shooting for anyway. I did up my calories consumed at times this week. My appetite was much higher this week due to the 20 minutes of cardio I added I believe.