Falling off the wagon in the evenings

Options
I start most days great. LC breakfast, LC lunch and snacks, and then around dinner time the wheels fall off and my ability to resist carbs is significantly reduced. Sigh. I know that I'm sabotaging myself and it does no good to eat healthy most of the day but then have some large carby/sugary thing after dinner. Ideas?

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth immediately after dinner
    Eat dinner later
    Drink tea
    Sometimes I have spicy nuts and a diet soft drink
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I pop gum in my mouth after the meal and budget calories for a low-carb snack later just before bed. The psychology of that works for my hunger monster.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    work out right before dinner - I find that I have less cravings if I do that, plus I already put in the work so I'm less likely to blow it
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @Cadori You just reminded me that I have spicy nuts in the house and I got SO EXCITED.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    @RedfootDaddy I get excited when I have that realization too :blush:
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i am a late snacker too and get more hungry at night. What worked for me is skipping breakfast, eating a light lunch and snack. then i eat the rest of my calories after 5:00. Took me just shifting all my calories to later in the day. if you need something sweet make a LC mug brownie, or eat an atkins bar. if you need something salty and crunchy eat some porkrinds or peanuts.
    typical day I dont eat anything until 1-2pm except coffee.
    then i make an omelette with veggies and meats,
    then i might have a snack around 3.
    that leaves me about 1500 calories i can eat after 5:00. it works for me idk if it will help you.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I find that sipping on hot drinks in the evening is both filling and soothing. My personal choice is decaf coffee with half and half and various flavors of Skinny Syrup; very satisfying.

Sunny_bunny: You are absolutely correct. Comparing our desire for, say, Twinkies with drug addiction or chemo puts things in a meaningful perspective. And, yes, for some of us "special treats" are not a realistic option.
  • EmmieLee1982
    EmmieLee1982 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find that sipping on hot drinks in the evening is both filling and soothing. My personal choice is decaf coffee with half and half and various flavors of Skinny Syrup; very satisfying.

Sunny_bunny: You are absolutely correct. Comparing our desire for, say, Twinkies with drug addiction or chemo puts things in a meaningful perspective. And, yes, for some of us "special treats" are not a realistic option.

"Special treats" are definitely not a realistic option for me. There is a real addiction factor with sugar and processed carbs for me, I know that. But with my husband and my two oldest kids (teens) not on board with LC, there's always carby stuff of one kind or another in the house. I wish I could just get rid of it all, to help me break this addiction.

I will try some of these ideas. I can't work out before dinner (the after school/before dinner time is a crazy time for the kids), but I could try most of the others -- especially gum or hot drinks.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ . Just say no. Once you stop for awhile it will become clear why we have an obese population. Eat, eat, eat. I rather enjoy not being preoccupied by food/eating for every.single.event. in life.
  • karen110567
    karen110567 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I realized last night that by doing my exercise right before dinner (last night I did a cycle class at 5:30pm), then my cravings were DRAMATICALLY reduced. I actually barely wanted to eat dinner (it was an intense class).
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a night snacker until I met my husband. And then I became a night snacker by default. I keep pepperoni, pork rinds and pickles on hand for when I need that salty crunch.

I also find that fasting until noon or one helps keep my food in a time slot where I am satisfied. I often finish dinner now and I find that I can't put another food item in my mouth.

I also drink a cocktail with seltzer water, and I bet the bubbles help to keep me feeling satiated.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I sip on strong decaf coffee with a little cream in the evenings. The coffee helps cure the need for sweet and the cream helps with the cravings.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A trick I learnt whilst working for a weight loss company was to have a Chromium tablet everyday at 3pm. It kills cravings for about 3 hours and holds you through till dinner time. Other than that you can have a protein rich snack at 4pm. That might reduce cravings.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Okay ... I've always had trouble with this. My partner is one of those people who will sit there and eat chips and dip or a bag of lollies or whatever every night. He still does this. At 7:30 every night without fail he will get up, go to the kitchen, make coffee and come back with snax.

I've been keto for 4 years, and I have learned to cope with it. I do not eat breakfast, but I will have a coffee with butter and cream. For lunch something like cold meat or chicken with coleslaw (full fat low carb mayo). Dinner is whatever, usually meat of some kind and some stir fried zucchini and mushroom, or broccoli and cauliflower (we are creatures of habit). This leaves enough calories to deal with the evening snack problem. At 7:30 I will have a coffee with butter blended in, and either a low carb protein bar or some camembert and olives or similar.

Bottom line is you need to learn to manage it in a way that allows you to stick to your healthy eating but does not leave you bitter and resentful because you're missing out - which will cause you to "fall off the wagon" every night.

It also helps me to think of carby foods and what they actually do to not only my hunger levels but my health over all. There is nothing better than the feeling of being in control of your hunger when you eat low carb.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with @EbonyDahlia
    You do need to figure out a way to manage that time of night and the fact that those foods are going to be around.
    For me, again, I had to learn to view them as "not food". The same way a dog can eat his dog chow in front of me without me drooling over it. It's not food for me. I can't see it as food that I don't "get" to eat or as some "forbidden" thing. I don't feel deprived by not eating dog food. I had to see those high carb foods the same way. I can't expect to sit there wanting something and not have it. At least not as my long term plan. My long term plan was to learn about how that stuff wrecks my body and health and stop thinking of it as food. I needed to make myself not want it.
    The addiction scenario really helped with that too.
    My husband and son eat chips and ice cream and all that stuff. My husband makes a snack after dinner every single night. I make him a good sized plate of low carb food at dinner and he cannot go the 5 hours until bedtime without eating again. My son can't do it either. Because they will be eating I tend to want something too. It's not even hunger but there's just something about wanting a nibble when other people are eating. I have a cup or two of slightly sweetened tea, sometimes coffee every night. I don't usually add cream as I usually don't want to add the calories. I will also have a little cheese and pepperoni or maybe a dark chocolate square. 86% real dark chocolate. Not those artificially sweetened milk chocolate bars I've seen. I would even eat a 70% dark before I'd eat one of those other kinds, but I'm so used to it now I don't need it that sweet. Sometimes I'll scoop a little peanut butter on it if I'm wanting a sweet treat. That's about as sweet as anything I eat gets anymore. The chocolate is pretty awesome with some coconut manna too.
    That kind of treat isn't as likely to stir up cravings because it's real food that's lower in carbs and high in fat and won't hit your blood fast and hard.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Or perhaps make yourself some homemade low carb desserts which you can safely eat. You can satisfy your sweet tooth and still work toward your goal without derailing yourself every day. 2 birds, 1 stone, etc. Potential bonus: you may even find or make some LCHF treats that your husband and kids like too.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    All are excellent posts. I struggle too. I am addicted to sugar. I did keto for 5 weeks and ate sugar over Thanksgiving. This is day 2 back on but it is a struggle. U got good advice. Hang n there and keep posting. I'd like to hear how u do. Thx
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar (carb) addict. I spent 20 years trying to control it. I "started over on Monday" at least 1000 times. I could go okay for a day, a few days, a few weeks on a low cal diet but then hunger and cravings would do me in. I have learned that even in my smug state of no cravings while eating Keto I am not immune. 2 years ago I thought "I'll just eat what I want on Xmas day, it's only one day, it'll be fine". I ate all the carby foods, the sweets and the bread and all the things. It took me 3 months to stop. And I gained 14kg. The following Xmas, I stuck to low carb, there was meat and cheese and things I could eat without eating carbs. I made a Keto cheesecake to share (most people had no idea and loved it). I survived xmas day and stayed on plan. I will never again make the mistake that "just one day" won't hurt.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I deleted my post as I realized it was insensitive to many. For those who did read, I apologize...my initial post was very narrow minded.