Hair Loss?

Options
Hey all!
Im in my 5th Month of Keto, Lost 40lbs almost at my goal weight. I'm also 7 months post partum and nursing.
So, Post partum hair loss is inevitable. This is my third baby,it usually starts to subside by now. but this time its still going strong. im losing clumps of hair everyday. I had an overabundance of hair in the first place, and at first I was excited that my hair wasnt as thick and poofy, but now im starting to worry.
The only difference this time is that im doing keto. Would keto be causing me to lose extra hair? I looked into it a little bit and it seems like other people may have had this happen to them. any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Weight loss of any kind can cause hair loss.
    For me it went on for well over 6 months. Then seems to suddenly stop.
    I didn't have the added hormone adjustments you're no doubt experiencing though so that may make things take a bit longer.
    Rest assured, it's not a low carb thing as much as it a weight loss thing.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ I had gastric bypass back in 2003 and lost hair for over a year then it filled back in. Now that my WOE is keto, the same thing is happening. Hair seemed to be falling out in clumps - it's really wasn't, but geez it felt like it. it has slowed and I don't worry I know it will fill back in over time. I've been Keto since April.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I actually seem to lose less hair. I've been keto a year. I have very fine, thin hair so any hair loss would be really noticeable for me.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did lose quite a bit of hair on my first round of what I thought was Keto. But I wasn't eating nearly enough fat (only what I got from Chicken and Shrimp). I totally ruined my metabolism by not properly educating myself. In your case, I would suspect that even though your first 2 pregnancies were the same as far as hair loss, this one may be different because you stress levels may be a bit higher from taking care of 3 little ones. It's a lot of work!
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem before too. This time I've upped my protein and fat and no hair loss.
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    McShorty7 wrote: »
    I did lose quite a bit of hair on my first round of what I thought was Keto. But I wasn't eating nearly enough fat (only what I got from Chicken and Shrimp). I totally ruined my metabolism by not properly educating myself. In your case, I would suspect that even though your first 2 pregnancies were the same as far as hair loss, this one may be different because you stress levels may be a bit higher from taking care of 3 little ones. It's a lot of work!

HAH you are right my stress levels are through the roof. i didnt really think about that. the baby is still waking up at night, and my toddler is being very defiant lately and him and the kindergartner fight constantly too. Its probably a combination of everything. the rapid weight loss, the hormones, and the stress. I just hope there isnt anything "wrong" withme. my son is having his check up in about two weeks i might be able to get my doctor to do some blood work if its still an issue by then.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in just so readers don't think hair loss may be inevitable with weight loss or keto. Knocking on wood here for continued luck but I never lost hair though 63 pounds of weight loss or lost hair eating keto for 8 months in maintenance. It could be luck or could be that I've never eaten at a severe deficit and had moderate to high fat ongoing. Protein grams changed but have been 20-30% of calories which for me has generally been 75+ grams/day depending on total calories.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well both vitamin D deficiency & toxicity are associated (keyword) with hairloss; might not be a bad idea to keep vitamin D within normal limits especially for those who have had gastric bypass (impairs lipophilic vitamin absorption).