OMAD to Me

sun_cat
sun_cat Posts: 114 Member
I've been doing 14/15:10/9 IF for a few weeks with variable success. Weeks 2-5 were amazing, then my weight started bouncing back up. The effect of that was to mess with my mind, and I've gained back 1.5 pounds. I find not eating much less difficult than I thought, so I started thinking it makes sense to do more of what works, and less of what doesn't: increase fasting hours (à la OMAD) and decrease encounters with the scale. Right now I've been fasting for 16 hours, and it still surprises me how not difficult it is.

I have two other issues I need to resolve. Well, two to start with :).
I truly cannot eat large meals, so on a literal one meal a day, I'd feel awful and still have a tough time taking in enough calories. I almost passed on this group because of that, which seemed like a bummer since it looked like a good group :) But, I read some posts and saw a video that said a larger eating window is allowable, so I decided to join in and start with a 4 hour window and see how that goes.

The second is weekends with my family. I'd like to be as 'normal' as possible mainly because I am not ready to talk about this to anyone and I'd like to maintain stealth for a while. This is going to be a work in progress, but I think I can finesse things a bit and stay pretty close to my window - and at least not gain on weekends, even if I don't lose.

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi,

Yes, there is nothing wrong with maintaining a wider window. Lots of people do it (Linda does it here - ask her about it). You have to find yourself and your rhythm and you will get momentum and feel great!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Hello sun_cat:

I had a hard time getting all my calories in at once so I ate what I could and then waited for 30 minutes to finish my meal. I'm doing better now and only wait 10-15 minutes. As time goes on I'll be able to finish my dinner at once.

As far as narrowing the feeding window: I began eating a small lunch at noon and dinner at 4 pm. After a week or so I ate a very small salad at 2 pm and dinner at 4 pm. Now I don't eat a snack and can wait for dinner.

Please be patient with yourself. You will get there. It's a wonderful program and you will have many more benefits than just weight loss.

You can do this...

• sun_cat
    Thank you! I feel like your example and support will be a huge help to me! I can't get over how welcoming everyone is here.

I was going to jump in with one meal, but after reading posts here and watching some of the videos, I decided to be gentler with myself and just narrow my window over time. For the last couple of weeks it's been 8 hours, but if I can make it shorter, why not?

• OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Welcome Sun-Cat ( LOVE you name B) ). We're so GLAD you're here!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    sun_cat wrote: »
    Thank you! I feel like your example and support will be a huge help to me! I can't get over how welcoming everyone is here.

I was going to jump in with one meal, but after reading posts here and watching some of the videos, I decided to be gentler with myself and just narrow my window over time. For the last couple of weeks it's been 8 hours, but if I can make it shorter, why not?

That is a good plan. Always treat yourself like your best friend. Be patient and you will get there.
  • sun_cat
    Thank you OMADing :)
  • OMADing1
    Thank you OMADing :)

You are more than welcomed and I neglected to give you this:
    2906ed00b72b33488c21f9e87e458bc2.jpg
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I have had success with a larger eating window but I'm a guy and it can be different for everyone. Good luck!
  • sun_cat
    I am wondering if this is the right thing for me after all. When started IF with a 14 hour fast and it was so effortless I barely even noticed it. It was better than that, because I felt great, ate what I wanted to and lost 5 pounds the first six weeks. After 10 months of slow gain, I was quite pleased to say the least.

If fell into that 'if a little works, more must be better' - and I started tweaking, as you do. I began decreasing meal size and increasing my fasting period. Since then I've gained 2 pounds back and feel 'wrong'. Not just 'oh, this is a bit tough, but It'll be fine' but wrong as in 'I think I went too far'. Or maybe too fast.

I am so discouraged. I really felt welcome here - and I felt like I finally found what was going to work. Now I feel like nothing will ever work again. I feel like I found my 'sweet spot' and screwed it up because I got impatient.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Hi Sun:
    You may want to email Joe. He will know what to tell you. ♥
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    The weight gain may be temporary like when you eat salty stuff? You might go back to where it was working for you?
  • OMADing1
    edited December 2016
    I am wondering if this is the right thing for me after all. When started IF with a 14 hour fast and it was so effortless I barely even noticed it. It was better than that, because I felt great, ate what I wanted to and lost 5 pounds the first six weeks. After 10 months of slow gain, I was quite pleased to say the least.

If fell into that 'if a little works, more must be better' - and I started tweaking, as you do. I began decreasing meal size and increasing my fasting period. Since then I've gained 2 pounds back and feel 'wrong'. Not just 'oh, this is a bit tough, but It'll be fine' but wrong as in 'I think I went too far'. Or maybe too fast.

I am so discouraged. I really felt welcome here - and I felt like I finally found what was going to work. Now I feel like nothing will ever work again. I feel like I found my 'sweet spot' and screwed it up because I got impatient.

{{{{ SUN }}}}
    This is what I've learned living OMAD...when (not if...but when) I do snacking BEFORE or AFTER my scheduled eating time (and snacking can be food or caloried drinks), BAM! The weight comes back on, period. For me (and everyone is different), it's NOT what I eat, because I can eat whatever I want to "WHEN IT'S MY EATING TIME", salty, sweet, fatty foods anything really--it's the snacking that makes me fat (as Joe says). It's the excess eating of stuff when it's not my time to eat that ALWAYS causes me to gain on OMAD. So my question is...are you snacking (eating or drinking caloried foods before of after your 4 hour eating window? You don't have to answer that here, but if you are...that's where the problem is, FOR SURE...at least it is for me doing/living OMAD. But again, everyone is different.

Here's a couple of Joe's video's that may help:

How to Fail at Losing Weight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGopT8AvHc

! - Stop Creating WEIGHT LOSS DEMONS - ! (Note: this one has water sounds in the vid...don't let that distract you from the message, okay?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y90xFTXBIzQ

P.S.
    tumblr_nehvup8Z1y1qc4uvwo1_500.gif
  • sun_cat
    edited December 2016
    Nope. I did not eat or drink a thing outside my eating window. I have a special event coming up, so I've been very strict with myself. I am not a 'snacker' - even the sound of that word is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. And to be honest, I really enjoyed fasting, if that doesn't sound weird :)
  • OMADing1
    edited December 2016
    Nope. I did not eat or drink a thing outside my eating window. I have a special event coming up, so I've been very strict with myself. I am not a 'snacker' - even the sound of that word is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. And to be honest, I really enjoyed fasting, if that doesn't sound weird :)

I've got a lot to lose (I'm taking it at 30lb intervals--I've got a about 50lbs more total to lose), so perhaps this is why the weight is coming off a bit more easily for me. I've been stuck before and it aint fun, at all.

I edited this to look back and see you're trying to lose 20lbs, so...I agree with Linda, perhaps you can write Joe...he's helped me and MANY others when I was stuck, he totally helped me--he's seen it all in this OMAD life. In any event, we're here for you and cheering you on. I hate that you're discouraged, I so know how that feels!!! {{{{ Hugs }}}}
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    See my PM, Sun. :-)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016

Awww... You didn't permanently do anything to mess up your sweet spot.
    <3
  • sun_cat
    So, here I am. I find I don't want to leave this group. Can I stay even if I have 2MAD? o:)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    It is one of the best groups IMO. <3
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member

What is your weekly deficit?
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    So, here I am. I find I don't want to leave this group. Can I stay even if I have 2MAD? o:)

Of course :)