Avocados? Great fat but what about the carbs?

helocat
helocat Posts: 40 Member
Always have known avocados are a great food and high in good fat. I was reminded of that watching the 1hr video Keto panel review on bodybuilding.com. (Good video BTW) So picked up two medium sized avocados to add to my "Keto" lunch salad of baby greens w/chopped Prosciutto w/olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Entered the info into MFP as I was eating and my carbs jumped! Ok so I guess you take 12g of carbs with that 22.5g of fat in each whole avocado. So by eating two I just tossed 24g of carbs on to my day.

I also did it for the potassium they have 708g each!

Others working Avocados into their diet?

Incase anyone was wondering this is the video I watched:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ask-the-expert-panel-ketogenic-diet.html

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    helocat wrote: »
    Always have known avocados are a great food and high in good fat. I was reminded of that watching the 1hr video Keto panel review on bodybuilding.com. (Good video BTW) So picked up two medium sized avocados to add to my "Keto" lunch salad of baby greens w/chopped Prosciutto w/olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Entered the info into MFP as I was eating and my carbs jumped! Ok so I guess you take 12g of carbs with that 22.5g of fat in each whole avocado. So by eating two I just tossed 24g of carbs on to my day.

I also did it for the potassium they have 708g each!

Others working Avocados into their diet?

Incase anyone was wondering this is the video I watched:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ask-the-expert-panel-ketogenic-diet.html

Thanks for the link!

Many keto dieters subtract fiber for net carb counts, so an avocado or two isn't necessarily a major hit.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    i don't touch them because of the carbs.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I've always been an avocado lover. I had no idea about the carbs, until just this past week, so it's funny that this topic came up :p

I had never logged it before (just starting up mfp again after a couple of years) and to my surprise, my delicious whole avocado is chock full of more carbs than I can handle in one sitting (T2D).

Next time, I plan to serve by the slice. Happily, my bg didn't raise, so that's all I was really concerned about.

There's a lovely, presently ripe one on my counter right now :( Both my DH and I are avoiding it, but I have plans to push it on the kids tonight while it's still lovely and ripe!! :D
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Do you all count fiber grams as carbs? :sweat:
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    I get the wholly guacamole cups from costco - 1. 2oz cup has 100 cal, 5 grams total carbs, 3g fiber and 9g fat. I like that you can freeze them so they don't go bad like avocados
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Do you all count fiber grams as carbs? :sweat:

I personally do not.

However, that's because I count carbs that might raise my bg.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I tend to keep two numbers running in my totals - I have a set goal of net and total carbs. Maybe my total is 30, and my net is 18, or my total is 50, net is 35, etc. That way I can get some fiber that's not a huge amount, just in case it does affect my body... I do not subtract sugar alcohols, or some of them I subtract halfway, but not usually - I just stick to sweeteners that don't have SA....

Mainly, I keep the two numbers so that I have some slack - I can allow some flexibility for fiber and such, but it doesn't get too out of control...
  • I think most people eat them and they don't seem to affect weight loss or ketosis. Plus they are super healthy and filling. I think maybe 1/2 to 1 a day, and not every day, is a good compromise. If you are going to eat some carbs, then they are a perfect source.