Plans for the holidays

Options
onsickmom
onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
Hello.....Wanted to know about your plans for the holidays and share ways to get thru sober or just have that glass of wine at a gathering....Give your thoughts!!!!!

Replies

• shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group. I'm trying to limit my drinking to less than 1 glass of wine weekly. I've been drinking MUCH more than that in the last six months. Since I'm on hormonal suppression drugs after breast cancer I'm really not supposed to drink at all since they can affect the liver. Anyway...let's see how I do in the month of December.
  • onsickmom
    Options
    You will do GREAT!!!!! Just think one day at a time... I'm sad to hear of your health issue.. Hopefully without alcohol your body can heal better...
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Made it thru another day...I've had pretty bad post acute withdrawal...Nausea..upset stomach..anxiety..panic... Agitated...I so can't wait until this all gets past me....I feel pretty worthless some days....Just hunker down in my room in the dark...Hiding from me....No way to live....I've gotta find the strength to get past my fears....Feeling real flu like today!!! 96 days.....But along side of this I'm also doing taper off prescription medication....I don't want it in my life anymore...Pray for me to get thru...now I'm sweating like a pig and I'm not moving.....Ughhhhh....Getting hair done at one today...I may not go....It's been a year since I've colored my hair...I was excited..nos I'm dreading being in a bright room with people talking....Afraid to panic in public....I'm driving myself crazy.....oh boy
  • blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I found you!!!
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Well hello!!!!! Glad you found me!!!!! It's day 6 of Dec already ...I'm on day 98 of Sobriety...Been a roller coaster ride...I'm not worried about my holiday events...My husband's family are non drinkers...Tea and soda.... Of course I haven't had caffeine since may 20th..that in itself I crave!!!!! And mom cooks for the school district and does catering too...Boy can she put on a meal...Most stuff I can't eat...Just my luck....How's everyone doing ???? Let's catch up!!!!
  • blwelch1
    Options
    @onsickmom.. on my calendar it is Dec. 5th... ha... i will need that extra day for shopping, or some other last minute thing that i say every year, that i will have done by the 20th. One of the reason it is hard for me with this journey, is both sides of our family are drinkers.. So, Christmas is always beer infested. I don't have my side this year, so that is nice because I do not like to host for so many people. I have 7 siblings and my husband has 11.
  • onsickmom
    Options
    @blwelch1 I didnt have my glasses on when I looked at me phone for the date..LOL...Its the 5th ..Wow thats alot of shopping to do..I understand having it both ways..I grew up 2000 miles from where I am now and my family was all drinkers and drug users...Im here now and my husbands family are non drinkers..Usually I would bring alcohol and conceal it in a fountain soda cup..And sneak out the back door to keep filling my cup...I didnt fool any one..I thought I was...But as usual I would have too much and get diarehha of the mouth...I feel embarrased now..I shouldnt..Im an alcoholic...Im just sober now..I have to be...I dont really have a choice any more..My last 2 beers are still on the top shelf of my fridge...When I do die Id like to have them dumped out over my ashes....A final fairwell if you will....No....I will proubly dump them on my one year sober anniversary...I feel for you ....If you wanna be sober for holidays you could maybe try some cherry juice and a sparkling water...Might be really good..Then you will remember everyone elses silly stuff..Im happy this day has reached its end..Kids are asleep..Im trying to catch up on e.mails and stuff before starting my Jason stephenson meditation addiction Ive started...I think it every night..What on earth am I gonna do if the power goes out and I cant hear him?????? LOL my brain over thinks and reacts to simple stuff so crazy sober..I couldnt give a rats behind before...Now its all coming at me....Oh boy...AND NO I CANT SPELL...I burned that brain cell...
  • blwelch1
    Options
    when i click on this topic, i see 3 different posting. Is there one that we should go to?
  • onsickmom
    Options
    @blwelch1 I will try and make it one topic....I've never done this so I didn't know....lol. But I guess it don't matter?????? I see the bright yellow when a new conversation is there..I'm assuming you can too????
  • tamera_g
    tamera_g Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I plan on having 1 glass of wine on Christmas and one on New Year. I think that should be enough.
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Sounds like plenty.....I can't have just one anything.....it would be one glass..one bottle..one more trip to the store....And that's how it would go for me.....lol
  • blwelch1
    Options
    onsickmom wrote: »
    Sounds like plenty.....I can't have just one anything.....it would be one glass..one bottle..one more trip to the store....And that's how it would go for me.....lol

I admire you... you are standing strong!!
  • onsickmom
    Options
    I can't believe it's Dec 13 th already!!!!! Winter just got going and is moving thru quickly..Still sober!!!!!! I have a doctor's appt today...I dislike going....But I gotta do it...?Found a sitter for the little ones and my daughter is gonna drive me....She has a 3 month old baby girl...So that little warm bundle should put a smile on my face!!!!! Hope your all well....
  • blwelch1
    Options
    December is going by quickly... but i like that, because i hate cold weather.
  • onsickmom
    Options
    I agree...Cold weather is awful....The darkness too....Sunny days just seem to lift the spirits...I know you been kinda watching me in this journey...I suffer bad anxiety and panic....I decided not to go with a medication....Instead I stopped taking my antacid..And am eating more often in small amounts...And doing skip days on the statin....So far it seems to ease up the major anxiety....Strange????? But whatever works...Will keep ya posted...
  • blwelch1
    Options
    I agree, whatever works even if it is unconventional is always good. I have mild anxiety/depression which I do take medication for. (Maybe that's why it's mild) duh. I did hear on the news yesterday that statins are showing promise in testing with warding off Alzheimer's. What meditation tapes did you say you listen to?
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Jason Stephenson....he's on YouTube....He had a variety....But all with such a soothing voice.I can not sleep without listening to at least two...I usually make a play list....The one that really gets me is surrender meditation letting go.....Hits home....Tell him I sent you...I've actually been e.mailing with him a little bit...He just started a live session on Sundays but I'm in the USA...he's in Australia.....So i miss it...he records it to so we can listen later...I guess we all have that one voice or style of meditation....I've tried hundreds so far...He don't annoy me...lol..... I wish he could just sit and read me a book all night....I can't meditate by myself..I must do his guided meditation...Or my brain never shuts up...I decided to skip the station again tonight....my cholesterol is good so I don't see any reason why I can't just stop.....Yes I tried reading the warnings on line....Hello anxiety.....But I think those stories are for persons who still have high cholesterol and eat fried foods still...I will see how it goes and have doc run my lipids again in Feb.....make sure I'm clear....Don't you go reading That stuff...lol.....And I heard it can cause early dementia????? All I know is I'm sick of pills and booze running my life...The bull is a tough ride....IM HOLDING ON TIGHT!!!!!!! Goodnight......Thank you
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Station.....was supposed to say simustatin..
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Made it thru day 14 of Dec without issue yet.....I'm hopeful the worst has passed!!!!! Hope your all well!!!!!!!!
  • blwelch1
    Options
    Do you notice that when you stop drinking, your weight goes down?