Bagel

Options
pacific904
pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
Very new this - did great today - a frankfurter for lunch, cheese omelet and a few blueberries and greek yoghurt this evening. Thought I treat myself to a Costco bagel - has it really got 72 grms of carbs per bagel?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    A bagel is approximately 49g of carbs in 100g (on average) and Costco likes to make stuff really big so I'm sure it's over 100g. The 72g of carbs sounds about right.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Yeppers. Anything made with grain is usually LOADED with carbs so generally speaking if you follow a LCHF WOE then just assume that grains are not your friends as US Food & Drug Administration would have us believe.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I scanned through bagels earlier after reading this and Yep. Probably 72. No wonder I got HUSKY. :s
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    :'( I miss bagels.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on a water purge that resulted from bagel carnage. Funny part is that it was the sodium that did me in, and not the carbs. 12,000mg sodium in a day is a good way to do your best imitation of a floater,
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself with something low carb instead. You're not a dog though. Do you need a treat? Lol
    Ok I was just playing around with the phrasing but it's also kinda a real question...
    if you're hungry eat something. No need to to eat if not hungry. If hungry, eat food that fits your plan.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Also, is it funny that my first thought when seeing the word "bagel" is of @RowdysLady 's dog instead of the brick of processed bread? Lol
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets don't work if you treat yourself with high carb food. It's not the same as calorie counting where if your calories are low you can have some chocolate - low carb means sticking within your limit all the time, otherwise you'll just make yourself hungry and stall your progress. If you've had a great day, treat yourself with more delicious low carb food, don't knock yourself off the plan.

If you're new to these concepts I'd highly recommend checking out the diet Doctor website or picking up an Atkins book as easily accessible ways to start.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    4 days worth of carbs for one lousy bagel, so not worth it.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yes, as stated above: bad choice. The good news is that once you've been on this WOE for any length of time (in my own case, six months) tiny portions of high carb "treats" may treat you so badly you aren't tempted again. As I've posted elsewhere on this forum, my indulgence last holiday season was merely to lick the beaters and the spoon when making cream cheese brownies, not even a taste of the finished product, and I blew up like the Hindenburg. I'd have been infinitely better off scarfing down one of those cream cheese blocks.
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just put 11 bagels in the garbage can - do nt know if my tastebuds have altered already but I did not even joy it - this sesame topped bagel tasted "oniony" - never again.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Is it the bagel you truly want, or the yummy cream cheese that goes on it? If it's the cheese, just spread some on a celery stick or another low carb thing (or eat it straight from a spoon). Yummy, LC goodness. Make cream cheese spread with chives, garlic, etc. to make it interesting.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Is it the bagel you truly want, or the yummy cream cheese that goes on it? If it's the cheese, just spread some on a celery stick or another low carb thing (or eat it straight from a spoon). Yummy, LC goodness. Make cream cheese spread with chives, garlic, etc. to make it interesting.

I'm seeing a future with cream cheese smeared on Fathead pizza crust that has been seasoned with garlic and oregano. . .

Now that you mentioned it I see the same thing in my future - but I think I'll make some mascarpone to go on top
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Also, is it funny that my first thought when seeing the word "bagel" is of @RowdysLady 's dog instead of the brick of processed bread? Lol

I love that!