Liquorice Root Tea - how to drink it without gagging...

Options
Shadowmf023
Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
Any suggestions?

I've got the whole roots - they just say to boil them and add honey on the package but as Liquorice Root is 50 times sweeter than sugar - it's not necessary. Blegh.

It supposedly helps with the ulcer problem. So I kind of want to find a way to drink it that doesn't involve pinching my nose and just chugging.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I would not add any sweetener at all to licorice root - it doesn't need it and it already tastes super sweet to me.

You can always dilute it with a bitter tea like chamomile or green tea to counterbalance the sweet of the licorice, you might have to drink twice as much if you only use 50% licorice, but if it tastes better it might be worth it.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    when I was needing to drink it I let it cool in fridge had less of a taste and I did "shots" of it lol cause I hated the taste.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Ahh... Pinch nose and chug it is then. Lol

I've found a recipe online that said to boil it with peppermint and cinnamon. I haven't tasted it yet. I will tomorrow. :) hopefully it's palatable.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've never boiled the actual roots. Stash teas have a good tasting bagged one. No need for sweetener.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Ahh... Pinch nose and chug it is then. Lol

I've found a recipe online that said to boil it with peppermint and cinnamon. I haven't tasted it yet. I will tomorrow. :) hopefully it's palatable.

that's a good idea I hope it's better. I don't like the taste of black licorice even fenel taste too black licorice like for me but the cinnamon in and peppermint should help.