Meal for Family

Options
idocdlw
idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
I will be making an entirely low carb meal for my non low carb family on Tuesday.

Here is the menu...wish me luck...

* Baked chicken thighs...brined in salt water for 24 hrs. Dredged in homemade mayo/white wine/dijon mustard/garlic mix then dredged in parmesan cheese/italian seasoning/paprika/cayenne mix. I have done this for myself on a small scale and love, love, love.

* "Better than Potatoes" Cheesy Cauliflower Puree...again...something I have made and love, love, love. http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower.html

* Sauteed spinach...no recipe...no brainer...just gonna do it.

Dessert: Cranberry Shortbread Streusel Bars. I have not tried this but want to http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2016/11/low-carb-cranberry-shortbread-streusel-bars.html

To clarify...family is elderly parents and young adult niece and nephew who do not have immediate parental support. We do Tuesday dinner on a regular basis.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What time is dinner? I'll need your address. :smile:
  • idocdlw
    Options

OMG @Sunny_Bunny_ ...do you know how cool it would be to have a fellow LC'r randomly show up for dinner?! If anyone does live near Manhattan, KS...please let me know...you are invited.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out. It all sounds yummy!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken dish similar to yours and if your guests turn up their noses then they are just too darned picky. It's delicious.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »

OMG @Sunny_Bunny_ ...do you know how cool it would be to have a fellow LC'r randomly show up for dinner?! If anyone does live near Manhattan, KS...please let me know...you are invited.

@Idocdlw - I'd so head up that way (I'm near Oklahoma City), and could even stop by and see my mom in Mac, except my car has an attitude problem currently, and I doubt it'd make it that far. We might have to plan a meet in the middle at some point next year after I can get my car's attitude adjusted.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Google Maps says I can be there in 7 hours and 19 minutes. Is that near enough?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

@cstehansen - 4 hours 33 minutes for me, as long as I am willing to pay tolls. LOLz
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I might have to borrow that chicken recipe. Sounds yummy!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I will be making an entirely low carb meal for my non low carb family on Tuesday.

Here is the menu...wish me luck...

* Baked chicken thighs...brined in salt water for 24 hrs. Dredged in homemade mayo/white wine/dijon mustard/garlic mix then dredged in parmesan cheese/italian seasoning/paprika/cayenne mix. I have done this for myself on a small scale and love, love, love.

* "Better than Potatoes" Cheesy Cauliflower Puree...again...something I have made and love, love, love. http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower.html

* Sauteed spinach...no recipe...no brainer...just gonna do it.

Dessert: Cranberry Shortbread Streusel Bars. I have not tried this but want to http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2016/11/low-carb-cranberry-shortbread-streusel-bars.html

To clarify...family is elderly parents and young adult niece and nephew who do not have immediate parental support. We do Tuesday dinner on a regular basis.

I don't think anyone would mind anything on this menu (except vegan/vegetarians). Enjoy entertaining :)

Don't forget to post a picture here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing, booking my flight tickets now from the UK :D
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

23 hours and 4 minutes... Darn. ;)

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Google says I can walk there in 16 days. See you 'round Christmas.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just over 10 hour drive for me!

Well crap! I added an emoji and it ate my post!

Anyway, was saying it would be cool to have likeminded friends to get together with occasionally and how it would be great to be able to start a local group or something.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    18 hours away. Anyone want to carpool?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I love a road trip !
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mmmkay. I am on my way be there in 16 hours!!! Lol. Yum! We used to live in Junction City! Wish someone had told us to live in Manhattan instead!!!

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oh my....that chicken sounds amazing! I am going to try that!

I am making a low carb chicken pot pie tomorrow for my non-low carb family. Going to have my son help me. I find when he helps he is more prone to actually eat the food!

Good luck with your dinner.....I am sure they will love it!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    How did your dinner go?
  • idocdlw
    Options
    Dinner was awesome! Thanks all for asking and those offering to travel miles to indulge :wink:

I have since moved on to a couple of other chicken dishes.

The first is chicken breast stuffed with ham & cheese, then wrapped in bacon...a LC take on chicken cordon bleu.

The other is an LC adaptation of a recipe my dad makes. His is sauteed chicken paired with egg noodles, artichoke hearts, lemon juice and capers. I skip the noodles (or replace with zoodles), double the artichoke hearts and add bacon crumbles.