Not following a plan as such

Options
phlyn
phlyn Posts: 15 Member
Hi All, I am counting 50 carbs per day and still drinking alcohol (wine or spirits)but keeping it within my carb allowance.
Any advice would be welcome and perhaps a success story if anyone else has tried the 'relaxed' approach ;)

Replies

• pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The "relaxed" way is for me too, I might not be losing as quickly as others but this way I can cope. I am more strict during the week (less than 50 grs a day) but at the weekend will have some alcohol. On vacation I eat carbs and at any social gathering - being stricter when I am own. I am losing 1 lb a week and that is fine with me. This way I also attract less attention from colleagues, family who do not get this way of eating. I wish I could be a " purist" but it would not work for me.
  • phlyn
    Options
    Good to see its working for you, personally I am sick of weighing and measuring, just makes me think of food all the time. Then I just overeat, thinking I will start again tomorrow, but that never works out either lol
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    phlyn wrote: »
    Hi All, I am counting 50 carbs per day and still drinking alcohol (wine or spirits)but keeping it within my carb allowance.
    Any advice would be welcome and perhaps a success story if anyone else has tried the 'relaxed' approach ;)

I try to keep alcohol for weekends but I will drink whiskey or rum with diet soda. No carbs. Miss wine sometimes!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My preferred way is meat/protein+mostly veggies+fat filling in the rest. I've stopped counting carbs because I know by now what is or isn't high in carbs. I've stopped with calories for the time being because I find it stresses me out too much. I'm sure there is a psychological reason for that last, but I honestly no longer care. I'm trying to focus on my blood sugar levels, getting enough water, and getting enough exercise. From previous times of tracking my carbs are between 25-75 most days, though I'm going to be adding some yogurt in mid-morning as an experiment. I've switched BG meds and for the most part like it, but it has a tendency to make BS too low mid to late afternoon. Sorry to be long winded. Tracking works for many people so my advice would be to just try one or the other and see how it goes. If you don't see the changes you're looking for switch it up.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I was able to be very "relaxed" like that for the 1st 3 months of low-carb. After that I stopped losing and had to start counting calories. If it works for you, that's great. Roll with it until it doesn't work any more. :smile:
  • phlyn
    Options
    I am still filling in my foods on the diary page, just not stressing too much about the calorie side of it and not weighing low carb stuff.
    Cutting out the sugar and wheat is saving me lots of wasted calories that I can spend on little treats like small amounts of sauces with a few carbs in to spice things up a little, I'm not missing the breads and sweet things so far.I have also made some fat bombs, really nice!
    Baconslave , are you still low carbing but weighing everthing, or have you gone back to just cal counting?

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I am still filling in my foods on the diary page, just not stressing too much about the calorie side of it and not weighing low carb stuff.
    Cutting out the sugar and wheat is saving me lots of wasted calories that I can spend on little treats like small amounts of sauces with a few carbs in to spice things up a little, I'm not missing the breads and sweet things so far.I have also made some fat bombs, really nice!
    Baconslave , are you still low carbing but weighing everthing, or have you gone back to just cal counting?

I'm still low-carbing at around 100-120g and counting calories. I hit my goal weight in Dec of 2015, but have gained back a few pounds in the last few months. I always have to count calories. The few pounds I've gained is what happens when I don't count them very carefully.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @phlyn I am doing what you would referred to as a "relaxed" approach. I limit my carbs severely but will not, not, not give up my wine. I drink two+ glasses (8 oz, not 4 oz ) each and every night. This equates to 3-4 servings per day which qualifies me as a "heavy drinker" as I am female. I lose weight...gradually but consistently. I am a retired health care provider so I know what I need to pay attention to when I go to my doc. I don't "pregame" because I want the most accurate results I can get. I am fortunate enough to qualify for VA health care and despite bad press, the health care that I am receiving is optimal. I am honest with my providers about everything and that helps them help me with making appropriate lifestyle choices. I also participate in a DNA study and I do share my results with my health care providers to ensure that my care options are appropriate.

I know that my DNA results are not a bulletproof vest, but I will use the results to allow me to make the lifestyle choices that I feel are appropriate for me.

Everyone is different but I would advise that if anyone is indulging in questionable behaviors that they either establish their risk or try to minimize risky behaviors when possible.
  • phlyn
    Options
    You sound just like me :) I want to do something I can live with for life not just a quick fix.
    I have a few health problems and medications which have always hindered my weight loss. I am lucky that we have National health service here, and I agree that by being honest with yourself and the nurses is the best way to get the help and options to suit your lifestyle.
    I have lost 2 lbs so far in just a few days, so its probably fluid, but I am determined to give the WOE a go!

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

My advice: If/when/at the point you feel a need to whine, cut the wine (and spirits).

ETA: Otherwise, party on and enjoy the journey.