Ketosis question for the experienced and/or knowledgeable

Options
2»

Replies

• solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you @moonlights , I'll think of 10 as the high end.
    moonlights wrote: »
    For me, depending how long I'm out of K for it can be between 4 and 10lbs but either way I can usually lose it in a little over a week

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I once gained 14 lbs in two days. Going from keto to moderate carb. I've also gained 5 lbs coming out of keto before. It is really hard to tell how much of your loss is water weight. You'll only really know when you go out of ketosis.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I cycle in and out of ketosis now. I prefer a more primal/paleo level of carbs with sweet potatoes, fruit, rice (not all same day). I find that as long as I still keep my carbs under 150gm ( I average 75-100 most days) I don't tend to put on more than a couple of pounds. If I go carb crazy, I just drop back to ketogenic levels for a few days and then slowly increase my carb intake again.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing @lodro. So sorry to hear this.

I actually do better on a moderate eating plan with no flour and sugar -- I don't put on weight like this. But I don't think it's effective for weight loss for me because cutting calories makes me feel deprived. I'm on keto now because I can't sustain a calorie cut on a carb burning mode. It exhausts me. With keto, I don't feel hungry. And I don't worry about losing muscle or not having enough energy for my mind.

I am learning habits. Like pairing my fruit with fats. Thank God for raspberries. I eat them pretty much everyday. Sometimes with sugar free whipped cream. Enough dessert for me. They are super low carb. Can you eat them?
    lodro wrote: »
    solska wrote: »
    Thanks @lodro. I am insulin resistant it turns out. One of the reasons I chose to go this route to lose the weight. I will not take a break as long as I can. Easier in the winter.
    lodro wrote: »
    simple. don't "take a break". if keto works very well for you, chances are you are insulin resistant at the very least. that's metabolic damage that takes a lot of healing, if it can heal entirely at all.

Believe me, I sympathize. I'm highly insulin resistant due to circumstances at birth (premature and very low birth weight). 2 years ago I realized that if I want to survive into my 70s, I need to let go of "carbs" now, in my 50s and hope for the best. I never looked back, but I've had to let thoughts of sushi and peaches go.

I do, but sparingly.