Determined December 2016: Week 2 (12/8-12/14)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
Required repetition of challenge blurb:
baconslave wrote: »
There's a statistic going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There's lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this type of year.

This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land. We're shooting for Determined December. Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Determined December is possible!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's what mine might look like:
Monthly Goals:
To lose that rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious weight that has crept on thanks to lack of sleep, a supplement, and general bad attitude.
100g daily, 1700 cal, 6 days/week with 1 FATurday. Weekends have gotten too loose.
Keep working them muscles.
Be sparing with the alcohol, Jess. And plan for calories to be preposterous on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Start weight: 165.4 (Thanks for the lil' extra, adrenal support supplement!)
Goal weight: 159 and to stay there.

Sunday, 11/29:

Water: 120/120oz Small-checkmark.png
Electrolytes Good: Small-checkmark.png
Logged Food: Small-checkmark.png
Exercise as Planned?: 60 min Dreadmill walk Small-checkmark.png
At or Under Carb Level: 100/100g total Small-checkmark.png
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! Small-checkmark.png
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! Small-checkmark.png
7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif

Welcome to Week 2. The holidays grow closer...
christmas_is_coming_by_brandtk-d5mlck1.jpg

Remain vigilant. I need to order Christmas cards from Walgreens. Or should I say, order cheap prints of pictures of the kids to stuff in cheap Dollar Tree cards. :lol:

Replies

• nanapuddin1
    nanapuddin1 Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well, since joining this group challenge 12/6 I have lost 2 pounds thanks to the renewed focus on my goals. I am happy to see that sticking to my plan does work. I hope everyone else is achieving their goals, too. Rock on!!!
    Oh, I also wanted to say I got my electric pressure cooker in today and I am stoked about using it!
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am still on track with keto though lost my enthusiasm because the scale isn't moving.

The rest of the month I will focus on sleeping better. I hope to see some change before the second week is over!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    12/8 results:
    Carbs -> 145/115 net (had a re-feed day yesterday) :o
    Calories -> 1523 B)
    Workout -> nope :(
    IF -> 18/6 B)
    Weight - 127.5 B)

2/4 for today, no workout this morning, woke up and felt like my head was stuffed with cotton (hope this doesn't turn into a sinus infection!). Had to do a re-feed yesterday (still kept it to less than 150g of carbs) because my workouts were starting to drag some (plus my wife made flautas yesterday and they are not to be resisted!).
  • baconslave
    edited December 2016
    Options
    BAM!
    Woke up to snow. Not laying too badly but cold! The kids are acting nuts. Still sick, but I've felt worse.

Thurs, 12/8:

SW: 163.4
    CW: 161.6

Water: 72oz Small-checkmark.png
    At or Under Carb Level:113g total. I'm happy with that.Small-checkmark.png
    At or Under Calorie Limit: Yep.Small-checkmark.png
    Exercise: 45 min walk Small-checkmark.png
    5/5

Week 1:
    christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif
    Week 2:
    christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif

solska wrote: »
    I am still on track with keto though lost my enthusiasm because the scale isn't moving.

The rest of the month I will focus on sleeping better. I hope to see some change before the second week is over!

The scale is such a lazy jerk sometimes. Hang in there. I gained a half pound overnight for now reason...*rolling my eyes* Sleep really is very important. I hope that works out for you. :smile:
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Ending the week on a good note!! Happy Friday.
    My best bud got laid off yesterday. Feel bad for her. bummer this time of year too.
    My soon to be exBF called me at 3am last night to tell me how distraught he is over me wanting to end it. I just hung up. Hmmmm. That will help! Thumps head...

Under carbs :)
    Under calories :)
    Logging and measuring - yes!
    Exercise/movement - Back at it.
    Water :)
    Planning ahead - Not sure what's happening tonight. The fridge is bare.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will continue what I do and if nothing changes for two weeks or so maybe think about some changes.

Stay warm!
    baconslave wrote: »
    BAM!
    Woke up to snow. Not laying too badly but cold! The kids are acting nuts. Still sick, but I've felt worse.

Thurs, 12/8:

CW: 161.6

At or Under Carb Level:113g total. I'm happy with that.Small-checkmark.png
    At or Under Calorie Limit: Yep.Small-checkmark.png
    Exercise: 45 min walk Small-checkmark.png
    5/5

Week 1:
    christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif
    Week 2:
    christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif

solska wrote: »

The scale is such a lazy jerk sometimes. Hang in there. I gained a half pound overnight for now reason...*rolling my eyes* Sleep really is very important. I hope that works out for you. :smile:

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Check- In 12/8

Carbs 25

Calories 1151

Caved and drank some wine last night....rough night, drama with the in-laws :s But still stayed under calories and carbs :)

Took my walk after work with the puppies and my son!

No carbage at work (there is chocolate, cookies and donuts) again, not even looking at them, lol

Got tons of water in!

Took all my supplements!

I weighed in this am:

SW 163.2lbs
    CW 158lbs
    GW (for challenge) 155lbs

I am stoked!!
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Deleted as may be offensive to some members.
  • mayabrooks025
    mayabrooks025 Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi, everyone.
    I just wanted to introduce myself officially. I'm from NJ and my goal is to lose 85 lbs. I'm 5'1 and weigh 213 lbs. My goal weight is 125-130. I've been following Keto for 5 days. I try to stay under 20 carbs, 75-80g protein and the remainder fat. I'm enjoying this journey so much! I'm not sure if I'm in ketosis or not but I been extra thirsty for a couple of days now and I don't really have an appetite. I'm also constantly running back and forth to the bathroom. I'm drinking 80oz of water a day. I make myself eat, that's awesome!!
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Anyone planning Christmas dinner? My Mom sent out a group text to everyone and her menu included mac and cheese so I found a recipe that substitute the noodles for cauliflower. I might give that a try and find a low carb dessert.
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Anyone planning Christmas dinner? My Mom sent out a group text to everyone and her menu included mac and cheese so I found a recipe that substitute the noodles for cauliflower. I might give that a try and find a low carb dessert.

I make cauliflower and cheese every year for the holidays. Mollie Katzen's recipe. It is truly better than starch.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Today was higher carb. I'm OK with it (special occasion) but I do need to make sure I get right back on track tomorrow.
    Rest day for exercise, but I did meet my sleep goal last night.
  • mayabrooks025
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I will google the recipe.
    kikisf wrote: »
    I make cauliflower and cheese every year for the holidays. Mollie Katzen's recipe. It is truly better than starch.

• baconslave
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Kept up by sick people. Up more than usual. I mean. I get to baby-sit my eyes 4-6 times a night. Littlest son had a coughing fit. And DH was achy and feverish so very restless. Poor guys. :disappointed: I'm hoping my low-level congestion will be all I experience from it. Momma don't get no sick days.

Supposed to warm up today. Hubby seems to be feeling better. Littlest is fine, the crud just lingers. I managed to nut binge last night. Idiot! So I'm up a lb from the salt. *rolling my dern eyes* I'm just tired. But I've been tired for over a year due to the stupid Sjogren's crap so this isn't anything devastating. I hope to walk today.

So...
    Friday 12/9:

CW: 162.6

At or Under Carb Level: Don't know. Nuts aren't too bad though so I'm pretty sure I'm ok here. Small-checkmark.png
    At or Under Calorie Limit: Ugh. :rage:
    Exercise: Kettlebells! *flex* Small-checkmark.png
    4/5

Week 1:
    Week 2:
    christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif

Hi, everyone.
    I just wanted to introduce myself officially. I'm from NJ and my goal is to lose 85 lbs. I'm 5'1 and weigh 213 lbs. My goal weight is 125-130. I've been following Keto for 5 days. I try to stay under 20 carbs, 75-80g protein and the remainder fat. I'm enjoying this journey so much! I'm not sure if I'm in ketosis or not but I been extra thirsty for a couple of days now and I don't really have an appetite. I'm also constantly running back and forth to the bathroom. I'm drinking 80oz of water a day. I make myself eat, that's awesome!!

Welcome! :+1:
  • nanapuddin1
    nanapuddin1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday morning from North Alabama! Baby, it's cold outside! At least it is for us at 27 degrees. But, the sun is shining and I am so excited. This evening hubby and I will go out to dinner and maybe do some shopping at Costco or Sam's (or maybe both!). This is big for me since I am a stay at home caregiver for my 92 yo MIL. Also, birthday is 2 days away. So, a much needed break :)
    I have been staying on plan. Getting my macros. Really focusing on protein intake. It is so hard for me to get it all in since I do IF. 2 meals a day. Last meal around 2PM. I'll figure it out somehow. Have lost 3.4 # since start of challenge. Let's make the day count!!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    SW: 186
    GW: 182
    CW: 184.4
    No sweets! - check
    Work out at least 3 times a week. - nope, only managed twice last week. But I did work out today, so this week is off to a good start.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, Maggie here! Happy Sunday. I just found this and i wanna jump on the wagon. I fell off my LCHF/ Keto wagon in July due to some family drama but now i am ready to focus on me again. So I started Keto on Friday. I know crazy day. But whatever.... These are my stats
    I lost 22lbs before and gained three back over the summer, so i am now
    sw/ 154.4
    cw/ 152.0
    carbs. 5%
    protein 20%
    and my fat 75%
    My cals. at 1200
    my water intake is crazy i am gonna add it tonight when i fill my jug.
    The only problem this time around i am having is i am eating most of my protein before 1pm and my carbs. are not as low as i want them to be. I am all alone this holiday season as my girls are going to Maine to be with my family. So that can have a both neg. and positive effect on me. I am very lonely but no acknowledgment of Christmas except for church. My goal is to loose 15 more lbs. but not this month. So pray for me as I will pray for ya'll.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm back and I'm in! Some definite carb creep over vacation, but came back with zero scale gain (what??) and ready to get back to it. BPC in hand, salami and cheese for lunch, zoodles for dinner.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Hey everyone, Maggie here! Happy Sunday. I just found this and i wanna jump on the wagon. I fell off my LCHF/ Keto wagon in July due to some family drama but now i am ready to focus on me again. So I started Keto on Friday. I know crazy day. But whatever.... These are my stats
    I lost 22lbs before and gained three back over the summer, so i am now
    sw/ 154.4
    cw/ 152.0
    carbs. 5%
    protein 20%
    and my fat 75%
    My cals. at 1200
    my water intake is crazy i am gonna add it tonight when i fill my jug.
    The only problem this time around i am having is i am eating most of my protein before 1pm and my carbs. are not as low as i want them to be. I am all alone this holiday season as my girls are going to Maine to be with my family. So that can have a both neg. and positive effect on me. I am very lonely but no acknowledgment of Christmas except for church. My goal is to loose 15 more lbs. but not this month. So pray for me as I will pray for ya'll.

Well you have us. We're here to listen and to chat, too. :smile:
  • baconslave
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I'm back and I'm in! Some definite carb creep over vacation, but came back with zero scale gain (what??) and ready to get back to it. BPC in hand, salami and cheese for lunch, zoodles for dinner.

Hoping you had a great time! Glad the scale played nice for you. :+1: