Meat only dieters

Options
monikker
monikker Posts: 322 Member
I'm thinking about trying a meat only diet to help me get my six pack. I guess technically a few other things are allowable like butter and cream but a 30 day meat cleanse (lol) is just meat and water.

Does anyone ever do meat only diets? Besides Goat, I know he's pretty into this type of eating. Is the key to not feeling crappy really just eating until I'm full? Just because, for the first few days - that could be like 3 pounds of steak and I will feel like I'm way overeating. But if I only eat 1 lb - 1.5 lbs, I feel crappy - because I'm not keto adapted, I assume. I just don't know if I can suffer the weakness and hunger for more than a few days. It's not possible to overeat? What if I'm truly only eating meat and water and I'm starving for 3 weeks and I eat 3 pounds a day? That's over my TDEE. What if I still feel like crap?! By crap I mean that I feel like I'm withering away into oblivion and want to eat for an hour. Not like dizziness or headaches etc. Do you just magically go from being really hungry so that you're constantly eating meat to one day not being hungry any more?

The Zero Carb Zen blog said to eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full.

WHAT IF I'M EATING ALL DAY WILL IT STOP DOES IT MATTER

Can I do this diet, actually lose weight, and not be hungry? Lol.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why do you think this particular way of eating will help you get a six pack easier?
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    IMO, the best way to get to where we want to be is to live right now the way we plan to live for the rest of our lives. There's something counterproductive about "only" anything.

I really can't imagine meat only for the rest of my life. Or the rest of the week, for that matter. Even lions and tigers must occasionally nibble on some blades of grass from time to time.
  • MandiCole1
    MandiCole1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 11 of a 30 day "challenge" to give zero carb a try and I love it. I'm down over 6 pounds so far, my appetite is under control, I haven't had to count or weigh anything. I like it. If you're not already in it, Zeroing in on Health is a great group on Facebook with many ZC veterans who've done this for years.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It's somewhat difficult not getting enough food volume, too much protein, & more expensive. On the plus side, it's non residual (BMs quite infrequent) & keeps you not too bloated when overeating (very little if any gas).

Not geared towards getting a 6 pack though...you've got to get that right combination of math (kcals, ratios), exercise, non exercise activity thermogenesis, & good old "genetics". Very tough goal, especially for a female.

Fitgoat probably has some good input
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Although I do eat other things, I do have meals and sometimes days of just meat and eggs - rare that I have no eggs for a whole day.

One key to not feel like I am starving without over eating is eating much slower than I normally do. I am normally they guy who can pack away 1500 cals in 5 minutes. This is from growing up poor where I had to eat quickly to keep either of my brothers from getting "seconds" by taking from my plate.

When eating heavy protein, the full feeling doesn't come from the expansion of the stomach like it does with bulky carbs. Instead it comes from hormones released when it hits the small intestine. Also, protein takes longer to get through the stomach than carbs do. Therefore, eating slower and chewing the food more completely will help you not overeat. At least this works for me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    It's somewhat difficult not getting enough food volume, too much protein, & more expensive. On the plus side, it's non residual (BMs quite infrequent) & keeps you not too bloated when overeating (very little if any gas).

Not geared towards getting a 6 pack though...you've got to get that right combination of math (kcals, ratios), exercise, non exercise activity thermogenesis, & good old "genetics". Very tough goal, especially for a female.

Fitgoat probably has some good input

@FIT_Goat
    :wink:
    Summon the devil and he shall appear! :lol:
  • monikker
    Options
    So - I CAN overeat and gain by following the guidelines to eat when hungry and until full, even though I know the body is processing it differently and I'm not supposed to gain? Once you get to a certain point do you gain anyway?

I guess my concern is that I consume a crazy amount of protein like 300 g of protein for a few weeks or even a few days, that sounds bad. I realize that eventually I'm not supposed to be hungry as my body is happily burning fat but until I get to that point...

@MandiCole1 would love to hear specifics about your first week and getting the appetite under control - how were your first few days?? Did you eat as much as you wanted until your cravings and hunger lessened?
  • kirkor
    Options
    >So - I CAN overeat and gain by following the guidelines to eat when hungry and until full, even though I know the body is processing it differently and I'm not supposed to gain? Once you get to a certain point do you gain anyway?

The guidelines for meat only re: eating when hungry and until full are for a couple reasons: they help break people of the calorie counting/dieting mindset and help people adapt to the way of eating as a lifestyle, they help people get over chronic fears of saturated fat, and help people learn to be able to trust their internal signals of fullness and satiety.
    At first, it may well seem like you can eat 4 lbs of meat per day based solely on your hunger cues, and if you extrapolate this, then certainly you would gain weight.

>even though I know the body is processing it differently and I'm not supposed to gain?

While it may be true that all calories aren't created equally, the law of thermodynamics still does exist.

The idea of a long term commitment to meat only --- including plenty of fat --- is that your hunger pangs will subside, and the point at which you feel you have had enough calories for the day will be at a lower point than before if you were eating carbs.

@cstehansen makes an important point about satiety not being based on stomach volume. That is part of the adaptation process, learning what "full" means in terms of having given the body the energy it needs. That is also why the diet doesn't work too well as a quick fix thing, like for abs, because it's more about long term realigning of one's eating habits.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tried meat only for a few weeks. It didn't work well for me because I have never loved meat. Some meats like burger patties with mayo, cheese and sauces are loved, but sitting down to a meal of just steak or just roast almost seemed like work.

For me, because I did not enjoy a meal of just meat, I rarely over ate. It did feel like I was eating less, and felt a bit less satisfying to me, but I did not ever go back for seconds... And this was including some eggs and cheese too.

The only all meat experiment I was always hungry on was when I ate all bacon for a couple of days. My calorie limit of bacon was always gone way too quickly. LOL :D

I do best with some veggies and nuts, but staying in mild ketosis.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I will respond in my detail when I get home. Waiting for my ride right now. But, you can eat enough to not lose weight on meat only. You can even eat enough to gain weight.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    The guidelines for meat only re: eating when hungry and until full are for a couple reasons: they help break people of the calorie counting/dieting mindset and help people adapt to the way of eating as a lifestyle, they help people get over chronic fears of saturated fat, and help people learn to be able to trust their internal signals of fullness and satiety.
    At first, it may well seem like you can eat 4 lbs of meat per day based solely on your hunger cues, and if you extrapolate this, then certainly you would gain weight.

>even though I know the body is processing it differently and I'm not supposed to gain?

While it may be true that all calories aren't created equally, the law of thermodynamics still does exist.

The idea of a long term commitment to meat only --- including plenty of fat --- is that your hunger pangs will subside, and the point at which you feel you have had enough calories for the day will be at a lower point than before if you were eating carbs.

I think kirkor does an excellent job of summarizing what I would say. Us carnivores are going to say to eat as much as you want to eat, no more and no less. It will help you break the cycle of calorie counting, adapt your mentality to eating like this, and it also helps ease the transition. It is very hard to over-eat for extended periods of time when just sticking with meat. It is probably impossible to put on significant amounts of excess fat eating just meat.

In the long-term, your body will approach an ideal/healthy weight when you stick to a meat-only diet. This may not happen as quickly as you want and it may not be a direct path. You might gain before you lose. It also does not ensure that you'll be thin. Being "thin" isn't exactly what your body wants. It wants enough fat, but not too much. Getting a six-pack just from eating meat to satiety isn't impossible, but it's unlikely. For men, it generally takes around a 10-12% body fat (some rare people higher and some people lower) before visible abs. Your ideal fat (for men) is a little higher than that (around 14-17% for most healthily active men). Now, eating zero-carb will almost certainly get you to the ideal percentage (14-17%) without much, if any, effort. Getting down below that might take some further effort.

You are probably pretty healthy if you have a 16% body fat percentage, as a male. But, you're not going to see abs. Meat-only will get you health. It won't [necessarily] get you cut like a body-builder.

You can get very lean on zero-carb. There's a reason body-builders often eat a "steak and eggs" type diet. It isn't automatic and it does take work. I would probably even say that getting below 9% (for men) would also be impossible without including some form of calorie restriction.

All of the above is something to keep in mind. I would recommend eating ad libitum (as much as you desire) for at least the first month, possibly two. See how that is working for you and where your hunger levels level out. After that time period, you should adjust as necessary for your own personal goals. For most people, who are just aiming for health and not specific fitness objectives, there is often no need to adjust because things work out just fine on their own. If you have specific goals, you might have to take finer control.

** I use the body fat percentages for men because I am familiar with them. The numbers for women are a few percentage points higher, but the same logic generally applies.
  • monikker
    Options
    Thanks for the insight, Goat.

I did check out the Zeroing in on Health group. There's an interesting air about it, haha. It helped me realize that people who are gaining weight unintentionally are not seeing it as a negative because it may only be short-term, and also it's a different kind of weight gain than one from a diet with carbs. Not fat gain, and possibly more muscle - although muscle is very difficult to gain so I'd want to see some research on that. Very interesting to gain but be losing fat and so to actually look smaller...but that's not everyone's experience. Some people have reached magical places both mentally and physically after a month or two and others are fat and unhappy after a few. So it definitely depends on your body I guess.

I think I'm going to try it...I just don't want to mess up on my goal of getting in shape. I don't think I can workout until my body has figured out how to run on just meat so I don't know how long that could take.
  • kirkor
    Options
    No reason to stop working out. Are you already LCHF?
  • monikker
    Options
    Ish. I've been doing 50-100 g carbs moderate fat for 2-3 weeks. I had a few workouts with carbs before and during. My body still wants that stuff probably even though I cut out a lot of crap. I can do cardio ok without a lot of gas but really can't lift weights without good gas in the tank. I mean that for real, I'm not very strong. I crap out dude. I dunno if eating steak first will fulfill that yet. If I'm drained when I drive up it's not gonna be pretty haha. I recently showed up like that on my LC diet and hadn't eaten in awhile - I just did some cardio and went home.
  • kirkor
    Options
    You could target your carbs around workouts a la TKD http://ketogains.com/2015/10/the-ketogains-tkd-targeted-ketogenic-diet-protocol/
  • monikker
    Options
    Might try that. It sounds like it's the most helpful for performance for high intensity sprinting so maybe if I do HIIT or play basketball.

I was really hungry all day yesterday but finished up the day kinda hyper and I woke up not hungry. just need to figure out how my body responds to this over time. I ate meat only from Wed evening - Thurs evening but ate probably 150 carbs between Thurs evening & Fri early afternoon, then only ate meat for the rest of Fri. I was so drained and hungry is why I ate fruit and cereal and stuff, I felt better but at the same time still drained and still felt a need to consume. I think the LCMF calorie restrictions I've been doing is related to that too
  • MandiCole1
    MandiCole1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @monikker didn't see my notification until now! 2.5 weeks in and still going strong. I find myself going without food for 6-8 hours between lunch and dinner without even thinking about it. Feeling good. No hunger. No counting or weighing still. Halfway through December and I've already crushed my weight goal for the month.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good way to burn out the kidneys, no?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Seems like a good way to burn out the kidneys, no?

All meat diets are not overly high in protein - I'm assuming that's what you are getting at. I doubt many carnivores are much above 30% protein unless they just choose lean meats. Meat heavy diets generally are not a problem for anyone with healthy kidneys.