And Now for Something Completely Different (any good freezer meals?)

Options
Twibbly
Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
Hello, the boomerang is back!

After a bit of discussion with my husband, we're going to plan ahead this time. Crazy talk, I know. I'm going to start cooking ahead, and we're going keto when we get back from Christmas vacation (and add in some carby stuff for the kids so they don't bonk every week when they come back from their mother's house). Right now, I'm basically making sure everybody is eating veggies and working on reducing the amounts of rice and potatoes and such. Bread is already gone.

So...any particular recommendations for freezer meals? They can be already cooked, or things I pop into the Instant Pot or Crockpot (or oven).

Can you freeze the Cracklin' Chicken from Nom Nom Paleo?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    most any soup will freeze and reheat well
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I've seen stuff indicating that meatballs and meatloaf generally freeze and reheat well.

I've been told in other places that while Cracklin' Chicken can be frozen and reheated, it's not really cracklin' much anymore.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/dont_freeze_foods.html

It's probably easier to look at foods that DON'T freeze well ^^ and most of those in the link above aren't things one would eat when low carbing any way.

I'll put about any leftovers in the freezer and it comes out fine. We eat a good bit of fresh fish. Cooked fish doesn't seem to freeze/thaw very well. Same is true of things made with cream cheese. Sometimes things with half and half or heavy whipping cream get a little grainy/separated if frozen/thawed/heated.
  • gammybarb
    gammybarb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I freeze lots of lc soups, chili, meatloaf,and basically most of what I have left over. Nnnmost veggies freeze well after cookiong and most cassaroles and breakfast foods such as bacon and scrambled eggs.