Staying on track/cravings

Options
Hi. I'm new to the LCHF lifestyle. I had 5 weeks of LCHF eating and then Thanksgiving came and went and I have been struggling since. I think about sugar every single day. I do ok n the morning but by afternoon, my head is screaming at me to get sugar. Any suggestions for getting back on track and then more importantly staying on track is much appreciated. Thx

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    A good reminder to me, this thread. I recall finding that both cravings and hunger (or perceived hunger) in my beginning were satisfied via increased sodium as in dill pickles, pickle juice, salty broth.

On a somewhat separate note, I'm not one to routinely eat salty things and woke up to a leg/foot cramp in the wee hours. Note to self: salty broth to squelch the leg cramps and squelch possible Christmas goodies cravings.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks @RalfLott. Even though I was careful through Thanksgiving, I ate some dressing (my fave) that day and been struggling on and off since.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Find some new comfort foods to help you cope with the cravings. For me it's devilled eggs and bacon, they give me a high level of food satisfaction and keep me from digging into the carbs (most of the time). I've found that I'm better off overeating low carb or no carb foods when I'm coping with cravings versus giving into the call of the carbohydrate. My weight loss will get stalled either way, but it's easier to get back on track if I avoid the carbs.

That's a good strategy. Plus, it takes time to make that stuff - especially if you can force yourself to prepare just one egg/strip at a time.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    Thanks @RalfLott. Even though I was careful through Thanksgiving, I ate some dressing (my fave) that day and been struggling on and off since.

Da*n, that's a long hangover!

Just as I have to imagine one cigarette would turn me into a newt, I have to think of a chocolate sundae as a pile of chalk smeared with roofing tar.

Dunno what you could do about dressing, but there must be some gross substitution you could make. ??
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sigh, thinking bad thoughts about dressing makes me feel sad. :'( Maybe if I just send it to Heaven to wait for me there...I know I'd be extra good so I could eat dressing again someday. The garbage disposal should be an adequate method to send it on its way >:) .
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @suzqtme - I have no doubt that the celestial Future You will have all the dressing you can eat (and dressing enemas at your request!).
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It took a solid week of eating mainly meat & water for my cravings to go away completely. It's definitely a struggle. But feels good to be back.