Carbohydrate addiction - for real?

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Here's a riveting 5-part presentation by low-carb advocate Jackie Eberstein, RN.

https://youtu.be/8X8boLYmVo8

@baconslave @Dragonwolf

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    <Lifting jaw off the floor>. OMG. I've probably read all of this here and there (over the years) but here it is jam packed into a series of short videos. I believe.

Thanks so much @RalfLott
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Can't watch it yet but can confirm carb addiction is very real. I can easily sit down and pound back a whole bag of family sized chips if I let myself. Especially Doritos or pringles. I haven't bought chips in a year or two. The only thing left that gets me is popcorn, especially at the movies. I don't like any substitutes so I go very rarely, a few times a year and allow myself the bucket of popcorn. Yeah I eat most of the bucket myself.. lmao.. it's just mindless eating with my brain saying "More, more, more! This is awesome! Butter is amazing!". Because of that. no popcorn or chips at home, lol.

Anyway, yes, carb addiction is a real thing!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I think I read her (and husband's) book several years ago. Initially they encouraged eating carbs in one big meal for an hour a day and low to no carbs the remainder of the day. It worked for me in 1999 but was not a sustainable WOE for me. Each time I tried it again over the years I failed.

This forum and links have taught me how to do low carb properly to make a lasting difference for me.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I think I read her (and husband's) book several years ago. Initially they encouraged eating carbs in one big meal for an hour a day and low to no carbs the remainder of the day. It worked for me in 1999 but was not a sustainable WOE for me. Each time I tried it again over the years I failed.

This forum and links have taught me how to do low carb properly to make a lasting difference for me.

She is not only a recovering carb addict but also worked for Dr. Atkins for 30 years (and contributed a chapter on her experiences with Atkins to Phinney and Volek's Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living).

I'd guess the likelihood of her advocating carb binges is about -10%.
  • Granchick
    Granchick Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Wow..I'm sitting here in awe. This video is awesome. I am a carb addict. I quit cigarettes 7 years ago after smoking for 38 years. I gained 30 plus pounds that I am still carrying around. This explains why I have such a huge addiction even to foods with artificial sweetners. The feeling I have for carbs is so similar to nicotine...it's scary. Anyway, this information is just what I needed. More research for me on the subject. I've got a plan now and hope to see some results. Thanks for sharing this video!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Awesome low carb lesson. Thanks for sharing.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    It was a real eye-opener for me, too!

She seems to have a very solid grasp of things. But to hear someone in her position talk of her continuing struggles speaks volumes about the grip of the addiction.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Worth the time to watch! Thanks @RalfLott !!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Bumping for NYE carb hangovers.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Bump! Wonderful information!