Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Very good video, thanks for posting. I always find it odd that those against the idea of sugar/carb addiction compare it to heroin addiction. To me it's always been closer to a caffeine addiction, something no one dismisses as being ridiculous. Likewise, alcoholism is an addiction, one that ruins lives and breaks up families in the way of drug addiction, but parts of recovery always seems closer to those battling carbs. I have quite a few alcoholic in my family and the hardest part for them seems to be that alcohol is everywhere and it's hard to be the one not doing it. All this to say, I guess, that addiction takes on different forms and so does recovery.

That's it exactly. We're all our own distinct works in progress (and science projects to try to unravel).

A couple commonalities:

In addicts, the brain responds differently than in people who merely partake;

And it is almost impossible to embrace temptation just once!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    My 2cents worth... I've noticed from friends and hubby's relatives that alcohol addiction has a lot to do with unresolved blood sugar issues.... similar mechanisms for carb addiction. Quite a few 'recovered' alcoholics of my acquaintance have very obvious cravings for carbs that they regularly keep feeding, and can get very tetchy about not being able to access these foods when it is inconvenient. This includes hiding food/soda from significant others, and spending money that needs to go for necessities like utility bills on junk food. Exact same behaviours as the alcohol addiction.

Wow! That's pretty interesting. I can't say that I crave less booze now that my carb cravings are under control, but I never would have glanced at my calorie count before pouring a nightcap in the olden days.

Of course, alcohol and carbs are different in that booze undermines glucose production.... er, until you add a mixer and pizza. :s
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I know of a past coworker who is in her mid forties and presently resides in a nursing home because she would not or could not lower carbs to help her T2D and PCOS. She's sadly had several toes amputated, had quadruple bypass surgery, and is on dialysis. She still posts pictures of carb filled meals and treats she eats regularly. I do believe carb addiction is real and can eventually kill you sadly.

I am surrounded by T2D people, and I have at least a few that have a very specific and scary mindset. To them insulin is an "antidote". I.e. "Cheesecake? Sure, let me get a shot". They can eat anything they want because they can use insulin to offset the blood sugar rush. No effort to avoid the rush in the first place. Its amazing to watch.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    My 2cents worth... I've noticed from friends and hubby's relatives that alcohol addiction has a lot to do with unresolved blood sugar issues.... similar mechanisms for carb addiction. Quite a few 'recovered' alcoholics of my acquaintance have very obvious cravings for carbs that they regularly keep feeding, and can get very tetchy about not being able to access these foods when it is inconvenient. This includes hiding food/soda from significant others, and spending money that needs to go for necessities like utility bills on junk food. Exact same behaviours as the alcohol addiction.

Wow! That's pretty interesting. I can't say that I crave less booze now that my carb cravings are under control, but I never would have glanced at my calorie count before pouring a nightcap in the olden days.

Of course, alcohol and carbs are different in that booze undermines glucose production.... er, until you add a mixer and pizza. :s

There is a lot of research out there on alcoholism where most alcoholics become hypoglycemic, so quitting is absolutely associated with horrible feelings because of hypo symptoms. Alcohol is not just carbs but instantly usable carbs - absorbed almost immediately for a carb "high" that ends the symptoms etc. Naturalistic/wholistic alcohol treatment programs recommend specific supplements and guidelines to help avoid this, including L-glutamine for carb and alcohol cravings, etc. I havent had time to really read through it all but I have seen it happening live in a friend and it makes a lot of sense.

Uh-oh. It's getting more complicated.....

My impression was that straight booze doesn't have any usable carbs and that your liver instead gets working on alcohol as a toxin, thereby relegating glucose metabolism/production to a queue and depressing your BG. (At least I have never had pure hard liquor drive mine up.. .)

Is this theory perhaps oversimplified?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »

There is a lot of research out there on alcoholism where most alcoholics become hypoglycemic, so quitting is absolutely associated with horrible feelings because of hypo symptoms. Alcohol is not just carbs but instantly usable carbs - absorbed almost immediately for a carb "high" that ends the symptoms etc. Naturalistic/wholistic alcohol treatment programs recommend specific supplements and guidelines to help avoid this, including L-glutamine for carb and alcohol cravings, etc. I havent had time to really read through it all but I have seen it happening live in a friend and it makes a lot of sense.

Uh-oh. It's getting more complicated.....

My impression was that straight booze doesn't have any usable carbs and that your liver instead gets working on alcohol as a toxin, thereby relegating glucose metabolism/production to a queue and depressing your BG. (At least I have never had pure hard liquor drive mine up.. .)

Is this theory perhaps oversimplified?

Like I said I havent actually had time to read it properly (or much at all). So you are likely correct :) This is the study I started with and if you google of course you get all kinds of less sciency stuff about it.

http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajms/2/3/2/
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'd go with that, @RalfLott..... What would sentencing look like I wonder...?And the fines? payable to.... whom?
    In the form of financial compensation, maybe?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'd go with that, @RalfLott..... What would sentencing look like I wonder...?And the fines? payable to.... whom?
    In the form of financial compensation, maybe?

Personal LC tutors, chefs, shoppers, and athletic trainers for all diabetics?
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago before I started keto I was speaking to my partner about why I wanted to do this and one of the reasons I gave was that I felt addicted to carbs. I've known for a long time that I'm addicted, what I didn't know was that I don't actually need carbs to survive. This untruth is the heart of resistance to living healthy for a lot of people. It's such a relief to find out how wrong that is. I've had decades knowing I'm out of control and not knowing a way to control it. I'm still new and I jumped in without knowing much at all, in fact, pretty much all I knew was that this way of eating would help diabetes management but the more I learn the less fear I have and the more my conviction to continue increases.

I found her discussion on dopamine very interesting, I have ADHD and dopamine deficiency is considered to be a major part of this disorder. The research shows that people with ADHD have a tendency to being overweight. At least those who aren't medicated. Addictions in general have also been shown to be more present in ADHD and the reigning theory is that this behaviour is self medicating for the lack of dopamine.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    For starters..... :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when your closest support is someone who believe that addiction is simply a lack of willpower. :'(
  • RalfLott
    Options
    :scream:
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Knit. Addictions can be so insidious and they pounce out of nowhere at times. The best of intentions and focus can be dismantled in seconds. Very discouraging to have to defend your struggles as well. One meal, one snack, one bite at a time. Just keep going forward.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    It's frustrating when your closest support is someone who believe that addiction is simply a lack of willpower. :'(

Sounds like you are talking about my husband? :tired_face: