Study on walking after eating for T2D

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
I kind of want to put this into the "duh" category, but thought I would share it anyway.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/how-to-drop-blood-sugars-by-12-percent/

The pull quote from this that I wanted to highlight was:

“The improvement was particularly striking after the evening meal when the most carbohydrate was consumed and sedentary behaviors were highest,”

Did they ever think that maybe removing the carbohydrate from the meal might be even more effective?

I have been taking a walk after lunch nearly every day for last year+ and about 50% of the time after dinner during that time just because common sense told me burning any glucose from the meal immediately would be helpful. I just keep shaking my head every time so called scientists think they have come up with groundbreaking research that hit me as common sense within a couple of days of my T2D diagnosis last year.

Just waiting (but not holding my breath) for them to come to the realization that cutting and not counting carbs is what we need to be doing.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. The obviousness reminds me of the back in the day VLCD studies that were using fats and carbs for calories, and killing people, due to muscle wasting and organ failure. "Whatchu mean protein is the most protein sparing macronutrient?"
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    OMGosh! He's so CUTE!! I want him! <3
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Furby is great. The pic on the water of him sitting calmly couldn't be better
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Where do I get one of these Dog Prescriptions? Hubs won't let me have one. :(
    "But look honey, the doctor says I neeeeed it"

".... or I'm likely to put 40+ lbs on within 6 weeks." ??
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Furby is great. The pic on the water of him sitting calmly couldn't be better

He is great. I am training him to be a therapy dog. He has a wonderful vocabulary and is learning very quickly. He knows sit, stay, wait, beg, down (lie down), off, shake, high five, give me ten, rollover and cuddle. He can identify and retrieve several toys by name: fox, duck, big bunny. We are working on other skills. He is not ready for therapy work yet...still too much puppy in him, but I have high hopes for his future.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Where do I get one of these Dog Prescriptions? Hubs won't let me have one. :(
    "But look honey, the doctor says I neeeeed it"

That reminds me of a new neighbor we have. One day, we saw her walking a gigantic white and black dog with longer hair. Beautiful! So had to stop and ask "what kind of dog is that???" It was a...Great Dane and Great Pyrenees mix. She saw the dog at the local shelter, fell in love with it, filled out the papers, got the okay a couple of days later and brought the dog home. Oh, she did forget to mention all this to her husband. He came home from work that day and met his wife's new buddy. I loved it! I mean, who is going to argue with 140 pounds of muscle with all those teeth, hehehe. Not that I'm suggesting YOU do this (hint, hint, hint).