My Cholesterol has gone up! Has this happened to anyone here? Labs included

Options
2»

Replies

• ferret150
    ferret150 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Saturated fats are not all equal. Even those who preach against it will tell you that coconut oil is good for you and it is almost entirely saturated fat.
    ferret150 wrote: »
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Might want to give us a breakdown of the types of dietary fat you are consuming & estimate of daily carbohydrates. Triglycerides typically fall, LDL & HDL typically increase, but TC/HDL ratio usually improves. Too much vegetable oil could be the culprit

I try to keep my saturated fats under 16g. Once in a while I do go over. I don’t get in much of the mono, polys or others (If that’s what you mean by dietary fats) because my diet is very restricted from having neuro problems and other issues. I try to keep my carbs under 42 but I usually go over to about 48g or 50 g a day a day.

Based on these numbers, unless you are starving yourself, your protein intake is VERY high. I'm not sure what effect that would have. Calories only come from 3 macro nutrients, so if fat is low and carbs are low, then protein must be high. 50 g carbs = 200 calories. 16 g sat fat = 144 calories. If other fats are in that range or a bit higher, 20 g = 180 calories. Combined, that is only 524 calories meaning at 1500 calories you would be getting 244 g protein.

Fat, and in particular saturated fat, in your diet raise HDL. As studies have shown high HDL is shown consistently to be associated with longevity. LDL studies seem to be mixed at best.

Yes my protein intake is set at 144g. My calorie intake is 1125
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Saturated fats are not all equal. Even those who preach against it will tell you that coconut oil is good for you and it is almost entirely saturated fat.
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Might want to give us a breakdown of the types of dietary fat you are consuming & estimate of daily carbohydrates. Triglycerides typically fall, LDL & HDL typically increase, but TC/HDL ratio usually improves. Too much vegetable oil could be the culprit

I try to keep my saturated fats under 16g. Once in a while I do go over. I don’t get in much of the mono, polys or others (If that’s what you mean by dietary fats) because my diet is very restricted from having neuro problems and other issues. I try to keep my carbs under 42 but I usually go over to about 48g or 50 g a day a day.

Based on these numbers, unless you are starving yourself, your protein intake is VERY high. I'm not sure what effect that would have. Calories only come from 3 macro nutrients, so if fat is low and carbs are low, then protein must be high. 50 g carbs = 200 calories. 16 g sat fat = 144 calories. If other fats are in that range or a bit higher, 20 g = 180 calories. Combined, that is only 524 calories meaning at 1500 calories you would be getting 244 g protein.

Fat, and in particular saturated fat, in your diet raise HDL. As studies have shown high HDL is shown consistently to be associated with longevity. LDL studies seem to be mixed at best.

Holy smokes.... I would lower that just a tad.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options

That really sounds like a lot of protein. Is there a reason you need to have that much?

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this keto calculator? http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ It can be adjusted for your macros and age, etc.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone this is my first time posting?

I recently took a lipid panel and my numbers have gone up bit.

I started Keto in late July, before then my labs were ok my LDL's were a little high, but everything else was fine. Has this happened to anyone? I think I read somewhere that a person's cholesterol can go up while on keto, but I am not sure.

I'm thinking of asking my doctor to get retested in a month, but until then here are my labs.

038mk1zjj86l.jpg
    u2t0nniszdk7.jpg

My jumped at first but a year later was coming back down. See what your numbers are next July.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What @GaleHawkins said is my choice too. The timing of my "annual" happened to be pre and post weight loss and my cholesterol jumped also. Total went up. HDL (the "good" stuff) went down and LDL went up so from those numbers, it was worse than before. And FWIW, my weight loss was achieved via Calories in/Calories out which included exercise and eating low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium. I ate a lot of egg whites, legumes (made from dry) and fat free yogurt to get some protein but keep sodium/fat/cholesterol intake down. Bummer, yes?

I started keto well into maintenance but am choosing to wait for at least a year of eating keto while maintaining to see how it affects the numbers.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Mine was high for the first time ever at my annual this year. I'm 40 and had been low carbing for 20 months at that point (but hadn't been to a doctor since starting LCHF, so I don't know what anything looked like until this visit--I just know I'd had complete lipid panels before and never was told I had high cholesterol). I was down about 60 lbs but most of it had been lost in my first year of this WOE, so recency of loss was not a factor. I don't want to go back. They threatened me with medication and told me to eat less fat. I think it's time for a new doctor. :neutral:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Mine was high for the first time ever at my annual this year. I'm 40 and had been low carbing for 20 months at that point (but hadn't been to a doctor since starting LCHF, so I don't know what anything looked like until this visit--I just know I'd had complete lipid panels before and never was told I had high cholesterol). I was down about 60 lbs but most of it had been lost in my first year of this WOE, so recency of loss was not a factor. I don't want to go back. They threatened me with medication and told me to eat less fat. I think it's time for a new doctor. :neutral:

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

scroll down and look at the list on the right of LCHF friendly doctors. I found a good one on the list that was local to me.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

scroll down and look at the list on the right of LCHF friendly doctors. I found a good one on the list that was local to me.

Thank you! I'm surprised there aren't more in the Houston area....
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I find the drop in HDL odd. You might want to look into what will up those as that is the worst thing on the report.

Even with that you are in the borderline group, I assume you have never had a heart attack, so no need for statens. Try to find a dr. who has kept up on science.

• Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, newbie here. In addition to the links to great info posted by Sunny_Bunny, I would highly recommend the documentary "Statin Nation: The Great Cholesterol Cover Up" (I & II). I'm not at all worried about cholesterol since watching that film. I only worry about triglycerides, which I fully expect to be much lower at my next check up. High cholesterol runs in my family, especially the women on my mother's side, and they have always lived well into their 90's. Studies have proven that the cholesterol - heart disease connection is a myth. That myth was based on a study done in the 50's whose data was greatly manipulated to arrive at that conclusion. I highly recommend watching "Statin Nation" if you are concerned about cholesterol or heart disease. BTW, did you now that 250 and above used to be considered "high"? A panel of doctors changed it to 200 and above. Interestingly, they all had financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry, including the companies making and selling statins. :o
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Julene64 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, newbie here. In addition to the links to great info posted by Sunny_Bunny, I would highly recommend the documentary "Statin Nation: The Great Cholesterol Cover Up" (I & II). I'm not at all worried about cholesterol since watching that film. I only worry about triglycerides, which I fully expect to be much lower at my next check up. High cholesterol runs in my family, especially the women on my mother's side, and they have always lived well into their 90's. Studies have proven that the cholesterol - heart disease connection is a myth. That myth was based on a study done in the 50's whose data was greatly manipulated to arrive at that conclusion. I highly recommend watching "Statin Nation" if you are concerned about cholesterol or heart disease. BTW, did you now that 250 and above used to be considered "high"? A panel of doctors changed it to 200 and above. Interestingly, they all had financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry, including the companies making and selling statins. :o

I don't know about lumping all the lipids into one purdy gift box, as the small LDLs are really not what you want in great numbers.

If you already have diabetes and mild CVD, it's a different ball game than if you don't and you haven't even given nutrition a fair chance.