What do you have for your go to snack or treat?

Options
2»

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Pickles, sometimes w mustard (I really like vinegar)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    We hosted a potluck neighborhood event last weekend and one of the guests brought what is my current obsession: candied bacon. Thick cut bacon is laid on a wire cooling rack set in a shallow baking pan lined with foil (otherwise it's a pain to clean); bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes; sprinkle lightly with brown sugar; bake for another 8-10 minutes until the brown sugar is caramelized, without burning the bacon. Allow to cool on the rack until it hardens up. Too much sugar and the bacon part takes second place to the candy part so go easy.

The brown sugar is the "treat" portion of this but it's only a dusting on one side. My guests devoured this like a wolf pack Saturday night and I made it myself yesterday when a friend came by for drinks. I thought about using Splenda brown sugar mix but decided not to tamper with perfection. If you are absolutely determined to eat no sugar whatsoever, do not (I repeat, do not) make this even once. It's addicting.
  • mary2178
    mary2178 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We hosted a potluck neighborhood event last weekend and one of the guests brought what is my current obsession: candied bacon. Thick cut bacon is laid on a wire cooling rack set in a shallow baking pan lined with foil (otherwise it's a pain to clean); bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes; sprinkle lightly with brown sugar; bake for another 8-10 minutes until the brown sugar is caramelized, without burning the bacon. Allow to cool on the rack until it hardens up. Too much sugar and the bacon part takes second place to the candy part so go easy.

The brown sugar is the "treat" portion of this but it's only a dusting on one side. My guests devoured this like a wolf pack Saturday night and I made it myself yesterday when a friend came by for drinks. I thought about using Splenda brown sugar mix but decided not to tamper with perfection. If you are absolutely determined to eat no sugar whatsoever, do not (I repeat, do not) make this even once. It's addicting.

This sounds absolutely positively amazing!!!!
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    okay. the wife makes this and it is amazing. I will have to get exact recipe. she mixes cream cheese, heavy cream and butter and a touch of liquid sweetener and mixes or whips or whatever. it is like ice cream/mousse... love it
  • pompoms40
    pompoms40 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like pork rinds with spinach dip. :)
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Yep...known in my circle as "bacon crack". Used to do similar with Little Smokies..wrap those suckers in bacon, dust with brown sugar and bake to make "meat crack". Sadly, both versions are a thing of the past for me because of the sugar :(
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options

This sounds amazing, but I'm afraid to make it! I saw another version called "Pig Candy" where they mixed a little cayenne pepper in with the brown sugar to give it a bit of a kick.
  • phlyn
    phlyn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here, thanks a lot :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I caved and started purchasing some snacks from Dave Aspry's Bulletproof website. I love my whole food yummy meals that I make, but I sometimes get snacky and since I still live with my parents (who eat like crap) - it helps me out a lot to have some quick open and eat things that fall in my WOE. I was worried about eating them too much since I had them....but after a few days the need to snack on them just because I had them went away.

Oh - I also have added some EPIC snacks and dark chocolate.....mmmm.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just found this one tonight. Spicy pork rinds and salsa con queso. Better than tortilla chips any day!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I like seed crackers with cheese. Just cheese on a spoon, or slices. I too am super fond of pork crackling all of which travel well. In the UK you can buy bars made from nuts and dates but they have a Huge carb count from the dates. Chicken soup/ stock?