Share your Fave Diabetes Friendly Food/Products

2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    For me, my go to treats have to be Skyr, Jujube Berries, Medjool Dates, Dried Mango and Nuts.

Hmmm. How are those fruits "Diabetes Friendly" foods?

Here's the nutritional info for dried mango (unsweetened), for example. A mere ounce contains 100 calories - 24g of carbs, 11g of those from sugar.

(I believe that they're good, though!)

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Check out my mini chiquita banana! 55 calories and 14.5g of carbs. 4f9tg5urst8x.jpg
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    I like the Diamond lightly salted almonds and salted , roasted sunflower seeds.
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Atkins indulge chocolate covered almonds, only 2 net carbs awesome!!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Hello everyone :)
    this isn't a product per se, but a 3 ingredient recipe for fudge/ganache and the like.
    When I'm feeling for sweet, this is what I make.

I use slightly less swerve than the recipe calls for & have made 'bar' type cookies using this recipe with raspberry baking emulsion in the chocolate & almond flour crust.

Another variation I've tried that turned out delicious, involved hazelnut flour crust & hazelnut baking emulsion in choc.

As a rule, I don't do well with anything over 10 grams of carbs at one time, soooo :/ yeah.

http://www.margeauxvittoria.com/three-ingredient-low-carb-chocolate-truffles/

• hookilau
    This recipe is even more awesome & ready quicker!
    I used the crust from this recipe for the almond & hazelnut variations.

When I make this one, I also use scant amount of swerve & SF raspberry jam. Personally, I find the recipe a little sweet, but I would encourage you to make it as written first, then alter accordingly if necessary.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/?s=raspberry
  • RalfLott
    hookilau wrote: »
    This recipe is even more awesome & ready quicker!
    I used the crust from this recipe for the almond & hazelnut variations.

When I make this one, I also use scant amount of swerve & SF raspberry jam. Personally, I find the recipe a little sweet, but I would encourage you to make it as written first, then alter accordingly if necessary.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/?s=raspberry

That looks great! Like a treat from a previous life (I mean WAY previous.....). Thanks for sharing!
  • hookilau
    I know, right?! ;) We felt the same way. I make it once every 2 or 3 weeks because we're hogs & gobble it up at a ridiculous rate.

My kids do too, they care not that it's low carb, all they see is mom made goodies!

Enjoy!
  • RalfLott
    hookilau wrote: »
    I know, right?! ;) We felt the same way. I make it once every 2 or 3 weeks because we're hogs & gobble it up at a ridiculous rate.

My kids do too, they care not that it's low carb, all they see is mom made goodies!

Enjoy!

Health-food hogs unite!
    You've clearly got it down - lucky kids, yours. B)
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    I'm a type2 diabetic..

But I'd caution you to read the labels very carefully.
    I know, I'm preaching to the choir.
    But some of the Diabetic Friendly products... aren't.

Some of these yogurts and other products contain sucralose, modified food starch, corn starch...cane sugar....

(sucralose is a form of sugar, so is modified food starch.. corn starch is--starch... )

I had to give up the Light and Fit yogurts. It's SO sad.

Stuff like Crystal Light? It raises my blood sugar makes me feel dizzy, insane, and give me a heinous headache.
    I tried sugar free popsicles.. yay! NO. I had to throw them out. *sob*

Now, suddenly I'm a "High Maintenance Diva" who spends a lot of time peering at labels and pokes suspiciously at restaurant food. I'm like Sally in "When Harry Met Sally". "I want regular, not diet, dressing on the side, make it vinaigrette.. but if it has sugar skip it; and don't give me any french fries, I want green beans, steamed... :)

I still think about chocolate.
    Sometimes I have a piece of dark chocolate.. but I dare not keep it around, because if it's there, I will eat it.

Well, this turned into something of a whine, so I apologize.
    But... just saying. If your numbers are not what you'd hoped for and you're eating some of these products..look again.

Amen, sister! That's how you battle the BG monster - and test frequently, so you know if your fave treat is friend or foe. If it shoots your BG up, you might as well be eating rat poison - be glad you found out!
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    I'm a type2 diabetic..

But I'd caution you to read the labels very carefully.
    I know, I'm preaching to the choir.
    But some of the Diabetic Friendly products... aren't.

Some of these yogurts and other products contain sucralose, modified food starch, corn starch...cane sugar....

(sucralose is a form of sugar, so is modified food starch.. corn starch is--starch... )

I had to give up the Light and Fit yogurts. It's SO sad.

Stuff like Crystal Light? It raises my blood sugar makes me feel dizzy, insane, and give me a heinous headache.
    I tried sugar free popsicles.. yay! NO. I had to throw them out. *sob*

Now, suddenly I'm a "High Maintenance Diva" who spends a lot of time peering at labels and pokes suspiciously at restaurant food. I'm like Sally in "When Harry Met Sally". "I want regular, not diet, dressing on the side, make it vinaigrette.. but if it has sugar skip it; and don't give me any french fries, I want green beans, steamed... :)

I still think about chocolate.
    Sometimes I have a piece of dark chocolate.. but I dare not keep it around, because if it's there, I will eat it.

Well, this turned into something of a whine, so I apologize.
    But... just saying. If your numbers are not what you'd hoped for and you're eating some of these products..look again.

Amen, sister! That's how you battle the BG monster - and test frequently, so you know if your fave treat is friend or foe. If it shoots your BG up, you might as well be eating rat poison - be glad you found out!

So, if you're testing your sugars to see if a product raises your blood sugar, is it still two hours after eating, because it goes up then anyway. Two hours after a meal, my sugars are in the 9/10 range which is still normal. Or are you talking higher than that?
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Does anyone do spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti noodles? Looking for ideas for toppings/sauce.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Does anyone do spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti noodles? Looking for ideas for toppings/sauce.

I do it quite often. I make a sauce using shrimp, scallops, green peppers, mushrooms. A bit of tomato paste. Add some water to get the consistency you like. Throw in some Italian spices and a bit of cayenne pepper. At the very end, add some cut up zucchini. Scoop out the squash from the shells and pour the sauce ver your squash. I make individual servings before pouring the sauce on it. Makes 2 to 4 servings, depending how much stuff you put in your sauce.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    No, I don't care for the taste and texture of spaghetti squash, although I have tried it many times in an effort to acclimate myself to it as substitute for pasta. Then I learned that if I do this to my pasta that it works well for me ...

.... Do not over cook it. It should be chewy, not soft.
    .... Rinse it and refrigerate it, then warm it back up before serving by dropping it for a few seconds into boiling water.
    ... Learn how to eat it in the correct portion sizes. The pasta needs to be the garnish to the dish, not the main ingredient.
  • RalfLott
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    No, I don't care for the taste and texture of spaghetti squash, although I have tried it many times in an effort to acclimate myself to it as substitute for pasta. Then I learned that if I do this to my pasta that it works well for me ...

.... Rinse it and refrigerate it, then warm it back up before serving by dropping it for a few seconds into boiling water.
    ... Learn how to eat it in the correct portion sizes. The pasta needs to be the garnish to the dish, not the main ingredient.

Are you actually testing your blood sugar 30, 60, and 90 minutes after you eat pasta prepared this way?

(I have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea that a dose of refined flour can be diabetes-friendly in any earthly scenario.)
  • Nikion901
    edited December 2016
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Are you actually testing your blood sugar 30, 60, and 90 minutes after you eat pasta prepared this way?

(I have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea that a dose of refined flour can be diabetes-friendly in any earthly scenario.)

I don't test at 30, 60, 90 minutes. My instructions from the doctor was to test before the meal and at 2 hours after the start of the meal.

Pasta has a lower glycemic index when it is cooked al dente and it becoes a resistant starch when refrigerated and then reheated before serving. The major reason for having a big rush of insulin is overeating on it. The kind of carb you eat doesn't matter as much as how quickly it's metabolized ( high/higher glycemic index), and how much of it you consume.

I weigh my serving out and eat anywhere from 1 to 2 ounces weighed dry pasta at a time ... which is putting me into a high carb meal (that 2 ounces is 57 grams of dry pasta provides 42-43 grams of carb), and actually, cooked up it is much more food than when dry, so less works well for many dishes I make using pasta.

I don't use prepared pasta sauce that is processed with added sugar to it ... as a matter of fact, I don't cook 'spaghetti and meatballs' or 'lasagna' or 'shells' or 'mac and cheese', or 'pasta and beans'. ... what I do for my once-a week pasta night is use the pasta as an addition to a medly of various vegetables and 1-3 ounces of protein, fatty is better than lean, that have been 'stir-fried'. Always hits the spot. Always stays within my max of 60 carbs for the entire meal. Always fills me up and satisfies my love of all things pasta.

PS ... I dunno, maybe it's the choice of vegetables I use in my dish, or perhaps the fat in the dish slows down the carb uptake ... but it works for me.
  • RalfLott
    edited December 2016
    @Nikion901, it sounds like you've got your routine carefully thought out and executed - an exercise in willpower not everyone can muster. Kudos!

If you're not testing carefully, though, how can you know whether and when your blood glucose is spiking? Unless you've tested extensively in the recent past and know how you react to specific quantities of specific foods, you can't be sure.

I can sadly report from personal experience that my A1c would be up around 8.0 if I ate 60g of carbs per meal - you may be able to eat that quantity without your BG climbing, but I can't. So 40g of pasta is definitely not diabetic-friendly in my case! My cutoff is 30 net carbs per day, not per meal, even with a boost from metformin. Also, I can attest that if I eat a large (for me) amount of carbs - like 50g of simple carbs in one small meal - my highest reading will be between 60 and 90 minutes later. If I were to wait until 2 hours later, I would miss the peak most of the time.

In short, a meal that mildly raises one diabetic's BG may spike the next person's through the roof. Guidelines are handy, but every individual is different, even at different times of their lives, and no guidelines will tell you which end of the carb-tolerance curve you fall on at a given point in time.

The risk of bad consequences increases as BG increases above normal, non-diabetic levels. You may not develop Alzheimer's, heart or kidney disease, or auto-immune problems, but the odds get worse as your BG rises above an A1c of around 5.0 (which is already slightly higher than non-diabetic levels).

Here's a chart here that summarizes a view of the relationship between A1c, glucose levels (plasma, I believe), and disease risk. You're free to reject the judgments embodied in the color coding as too conservative, of course, but personally I'd rather not roll the dice!

bgconvchart.png

• Nikion901
    @RalfLott ... thanks for posting the A1c chart.

Mine was 5.9 at the last 2 quarterly checkups ... but we are hi-jacking this thread, which is about favorite diabeties favorite foods ... >)

One of my favorite meals uses some of my favorite DB friendly foods ...
    An egg cooked in a bed of sauted juilliene cut carrot, celery, green bell pepper, and sliced mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil till the whites are set and the yolk still runny. Don't need any bread with this ... low cal, hi nutrition, low carb count, filling.