BOOK LIST ON BINGE EATING OR RELATED SUBJECTS

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    @Molly,

Thanks so much for the Fairburn recommendation! I just started reading it, but warm and fuzzy inspirational books just make me uncomfortable (it's me, not them), so I really appreciate his dry and technical style.
    You are so welcome!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    'End Emotional Eating' by Taitz

fabulous book! I would read a couple pages each day after a meal - it was a great distraction from continually eating mindlessly after my meal, and I would take notes in my journal of things that resonated with me.

My therapist and I using this book in our sessions, along with the Food and Feelings Workbook by Koenig. I'm also reading a whole laundry list of other books (memoirs and novels, mostly). Some are genuinely good and others are primarily just used for staying focused on weight loss and being distracted from mindlessly eating, these include:

I'm with Fatty by Ugel
    Hungry by Zadoff
    703 by Makin
    Designated Fat Girl by Joyner
    Half-Assed by Fulda
    The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl by Reid

I'm beginning to post reviews on my blog: sherambler.com, if anyone's interested in more detail.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Can someone compile a list of books on the subject that also come in audio book form?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Can someone compile a list of books on the subject that also come in audio book form?
    Welcome and you are welcome to do so. Many of the books mentioned are in audio form. But if you want to do a list for audio books only please start it. Thanks! And welcome again dear!
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just received: " 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder: Effective Strategies from Therapeutic Practice and Personal Experience (8 Keys to Mental Health)"

Got off Amazon. Outstanding book. Nails my eating disorder to a T.
  • mimoumoses
    mimoumoses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    'Brain over Binge' by Kathryn Hansen is interesting and casts a simplistic view on the nature of over eating which I found quite helpful. However, it doesn't really help in the same way that 'Eating Less and saying Goodbye to Overeating' by Gillian Riley did for me a few years ago. I feel I've fallen off the wagon recently again so have ordered a second edition to re-read and I don't think there is another book out there that makes as much sense if I'm honest. The emotional reasons we give for overeating are sometimes just an excuse, they give us permission to over eat and when you start questioning these excuses is when you start to break away from what I truly believe to be nothing more than an addictive habit. Admittedly it is a complex one as the side effects are weight gain and an obsession with food as we still need to eat, but it is a habit nonetheless and all the excuses you hear smokers giving for having 'one more' are the same excuses we latch onto when we reach for another biscuit, then another, then another one... oh well might as well have the whole packet (and then some) and start again tomorrow.
  • Dennis4766
    Options
    'Brain over Binge' by Kathryn Hansen is interesting and casts a simplistic view on the nature of over eating which I found quite helpful. However, it doesn't really help in the same way that 'Eating Less and saying Goodbye to Overeating' by Gillian Riley did for me a few years ago.

I purchased Ditching Diets by Gillian Riley. HUGE HELP!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Lying in Weight: The Hidden Epidemic of Eating Disorders in Adult Women by Trisha Gura

I recently picked this one up from the library. Wasn't able to get through the whole thing, simply because I didn't find that it applied to me. However, the beginning 1/4 or so of it was very engaging and interesting and I would highly recommend reading that portion of it.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health

I recently purchased this workbook through Amazon and it's really been helping me get to the bottom of why I do what I do. I do not write in the workbook in case I need to re-discover things at a later point, but the text is so full of amazing information and things that help you realize you're stronger than you think.

It's full of self-reflection exercises and writing prompts that help you get all of those difficult emotions out there, teaching you how to accept that they are a part of our natural way to navigate our internal selves rather than something we need to bury, stifle, or hide.
  • layla_luvyah
    layla_luvyah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I haven't got any more titles to add to the list but i'm going to look some of them up on to find out more about the angle each book takes. There's a couple of things that prompts me to go and seek out a book. Firstly a lot of people saying it was good/helpful. Secondly, know the angle a book is going to take. So please guys if you are offering any more titles, also consider summarising any key point or describing the orientation of the book such as Eddie8131 did above. It really makes things more meaningful.

I will say that having just recovered from a short binge episode and stopping it before it turned into a long one, if i understand you correctly, mimoumoses, i would disagree. Yes habit plays a part but there is a profound emotional element to binging that is not a matter of mere habit. That is to say, in some of us at least, mood matters trigger an increase in appetite which is hard to satisfy. I think there is a physiological aspect to binging but because its below consciousness, it can be hard to appreciate the link unless you study up on the role hormones play in body weight. Resolving the mood issue is the first and most important part of arresting the binge. The second part involves a major change in ones total approach to diet and food. For me the solution has come about through my decision over 9 months ago to quit eating sweets. At or near to the same time as part of my weightloss strategy, i decided to seek out a councillor any time i was under stress or tending towards depression. I've been doing this all year and i can only say, i have made great progress and because of that, i plan to stick with my personal quit sweets diet for life. (note it does not mean i never eat sweets).
  • Dennis4766
    Options
    Book list that was requested:
    Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr. Christopher Fairburn (very technical, not easy to read but so worth a read)

Going to echo that Overcoming Binge Eating is a great book. I recently read 2nd edition, didnt find it to be too technical, but I've also been in this battle long enough that all these terms are second hand for me.

My wife is reading it also to help me. This book is like looking into the mirror, or opening up the closet door.

• Totalkathy
    Totalkathy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mimoumoses wrote: »
    'Brain over Binge' by Kathryn Hansen is interesting and casts a simplistic view on the nature of over eating which I found quite helpful. However, it doesn't really help in the same way that 'Eating Less and saying Goodbye to Overeating' by Gillian Riley did for me a few years ago. I feel I've fallen off the wagon recently again so have ordered a second edition to re-read and I don't think there is another book out there that makes as much sense if I'm honest. The emotional reasons we give for overeating are sometimes just an excuse, they give us permission to over eat and when you start questioning these excuses is when you start to break away from what I truly believe to be nothing more than an addictive habit. Admittedly it is a complex one as the side effects are weight gain and an obsession with food as we still need to eat, but it is a habit nonetheless and all the excuses you hear smokers giving for having 'one more' are the same excuses we latch onto when we reach for another biscuit, then another, then another one... oh well might as well have the whole packet (and then some) and start again tomorrow.

I got Brain over Binge last night and totally devoured it! It makes total sense! I'll finish it today. Thanks so much for recommending it!
  • Totalkathy
    Totalkathy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sailrunner wrote: »
    What's it about?
    What was helpful for you from it?
    Very helpful. A totally different approach. A bit deep at times, but makes total sense. I think I'll have to read another time to get my head wrapped completely around it. I've struggled with binge eating almost all of my 57 year life, and this is a totally new perspective, and so simple it's hard to wrap your head around. It's well worth reading!
    thanks for mentioning it as I'd seen it listed.[/quote
  • sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am reading 'brain over the binge' not easy to read, but very helful! it takes sense for me, and from now I have hope to recover from bulimia. this book might be disturbing since it explains very well that you have the choice, and it's you who decides... I used to think that I was powerless and it's getting worse and worse, I told myself I will never ginf the strenght to get out of this trouble but now I know that I can do this!
  • Boffingirl_
    Boffingirl_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any real success with any of the books? I've read most of the suggested just looking for some inspiring success stories x
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey there I saw Brain over binge, Brain Over Binge the practical guide and Thin side out
    Anyone could recommend them? I was wondering if I "need" the guide from BOB if I'm getting the normal book or vice versa?

Any review/recommendaiton welcome - and if you have read all 3, what is essential?
  • Hecka_Rebecca
    Hecka_Rebecca Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @andyluvv Personally, I found the podcast for Brain Over Binge to be a better supplemental to the book than the guide was.
  • pinkharmony1965
    pinkharmony1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so information appreciate ♡♡
  • julie3461
    julie3461 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "It was me all along" was a good book. "Never binge again" was a good book. I'd even listen to it again to pick up what I missed.