Cravings Today

Options
swezeytba
swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
Been strict keto/low carb for a little over a week now with great success. Mainly doing the diet to help with my epilepsy control (hopefully), but figured the weight loss wouldn't hurt either! :wink: Down 8.5 lbs and feeling good. Can already tell a difference in how my clothes are fitting, and have been slowly figuring out things to eat that can replace my former high carb versions.

But this morning I suddenly woke up with a horrible craving for biscuits and gravy of all things.....Yikes.....Hoping this passes quickly....Anyone else experience cravings in the initial weeks of this WOE?

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm a year in and still experience cravings, though, yes, they are the worst when you've recently eaten carbs, as in at the start or immediately following any excessive carb consumption after avoiding them for long periods.

When my cravings hit me really hard, I usually allow myself to just eat a little more, but I keep it low carb. As you can't overdo the protein as you're eating this way for your epilepsy, you'll probably want to find some good high fat snacks. I'm not into Bulletproof coffee, but I'll often just have a cup of coffee with double cream to tide me over when I'm feeling snacky. Or even just whipping up some double cream with some unsweetened cocoa powder and low carb/no carb sweetener might help you with your cravings. There are lots of sweet and savoury fat bomb recipes out there, since you need to be stricter on your protein intake than some of us, you might want to look for some fat bomb recipes or I'm sure others in the group might be able to make some recommendations.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    When my cravings hit me really hard, I usually allow myself to just eat a little more, but I keep it low carb. As you can't overdo the protein as you're eating this way for your epilepsy, you'll probably want to find some good high fat snacks. I'm not into Bulletproof coffee, but I'll often just have a cup of coffee with double cream to tide me over when I'm feeling snacky. Or even just whipping up some double cream with some unsweetened cocoa powder and low carb/no carb sweetener might help you with your cravings. There are lots of sweet and savoury fat bomb recipes out there, since you need to be stricter on your protein intake than some of us, you might want to look for some fat bomb recipes or I'm sure others in the group might be able to make some recommendations.

Thanks for the tips.....I really have been thinking I need to find some good fat bomb recipes. That protein really does creep up quickly.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    well if you feel like cooking you can do low carb biscuits and gravy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnr1bG5GwQI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWiQIVEv-7M
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Last time I had a round of cravings I was able to make it stop by eating avocado...love that fruit, hate it when I run out of them or can't find good ones!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I can't say I've ever really craved a specific food though I sometimes crave the act of stuffing myself. Both that and hunger are often satisfied by increased sodium. For me, that is taken care of with salty broth with extra salt added. Since you've just started, your cravings may really be an electrolyte imbalance.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Wow! What interesting videos...I love to cook....Will definitely be trying those recipes....Might have to wait till this weekend though....

Got lucky....Our company was giving us an end of year/Christmas treat. We had a coffee bar and breakfast burritos. (Breakfast burritos were mainly eggs and meat with some cheese - scraped out the potatoes and tossed the tortilla)

Latte made by a barista and lucky me they had unsweetened almond milk.

Getting some yummy food in my tummy is definitely curbing the craving for now.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Last time I had a round of cravings I was able to make it stop by eating avocado...love that fruit, hate it when I run out of them or can't find good ones!

Love avocados but unfortunately they don't love me back. Don't know if I have an allergy or what, but if I eat them I get very nauseated.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Man, yesterday, I was awful. Not really cravings. Just snacking after work. It was all keto, but still. I ate two beef sticks, half a bag of pork rinds, two fat bombs, and a keto chocolate chip cookie. This morning, I weighed a pound less. Go figure... Hope today isn't a repeat.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe that's it....I haven't been really having too much hunger issues after the first couple of days, but I scarfed my breakfast right up so I was probably just really hungry this morning!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Being that you're only one week in, I suspect you may have an electrolyte imbalance that's driving cravings. It's incredibly common, there's a whole write up in the launch pad because almost everyone has some kind of symptoms and they tend to really show up about one week in. Can actually come on anytime sodium gets low though.
    I would honestly discourage the fat bombs. They are just low carb treats and absolutely not necessary. They are fine to eat as a treat and you may treat yourself as often as you like. I think there's an idea out there though that people need them and they are a standard part of this woe. That gets lots of people into eating too often and eating when not hungry. Artificial sweeteners are often appetite stimulating as well.
    I would address the sodium needs first and then take a look at the foods you're choosing and why they aren't keeping you satisfied. Are meats too lean or are vegetable heavy meals providing enough fat in the form of butter, olive or coconut oil or other healthy fats?
    Also, you're just a week in and while many people find that cravings and carb withdrawal subside about that time, others may be just peaking. It could be simply that.
    But honestly, I'd be surprised if sodium and magnesium aren't a bit low.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Being that you're only one week in, I suspect you may have an electrolyte imbalance that's driving cravings.
    But honestly, I'd be surprised if sodium and magnesium aren't a bit low.

Quite possible.....I know I did read about that on the launch pad. A couple of days last week I drank some bouillon in the afternoon when I felt like I was getting a headache which seems to be the first sign of electrolyte imbalance with me.