hair loss

Options
Hey ya'll
Did you guys notice when you did Keto that your hair fell out? Cause mine fell out like crazy and i dont have much to begin with. What can i do to stop this?

Replies

• notaloserlikeyou
    Options
    Yes it fell out like crazy and I took six months off and it stopped. I didn't gain much back, just maintained. The hair loss happens when you lose weight but it does come back. This is very common.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I found that in adding some supplements, mine slowed, but my weight loss slowed at the same time. There are many things you can do to help, but nearly all are temporary. Best thing to do is to calorie restrict very little - so eat as high of calories you can and still lose slowly, and just make sure your focus is on nutrition...
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Same here. They say you shed a bunch and that after 3 months or so...it starts regrowing. I have very long hair so it will take forever to really thicken out. C'est la vie! At least I'm way thinner.
    I just add a little product, a dash of hairspray if I'm going out...and it looks fine. I am much more gentle with what's left and air-dry to avoid more damage.
    Don't let that stop you!
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i forgot about the calorie restriction and hair loss. If you remember knit i was struggling with getting in 800 cal. in , in a day. This time i am going to try to do my best to get more. elize7 as a hairdresser i found know Product and spray are my " BEST FRIENDS" It just scared the S**T out of me cause i don't have much hair to begin with . LOL. Thanks ya'll
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read points to the cause being too aggressive a caloric deficit. This can become an issue with any diet, but with keto it can become more of an issue due to the hunger blunting effects.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had my hair fall out on my first attempt at keto...The Dr Bernstein Diet.. I was eating 800 calories/day and almost no fat. I was cold, sick and tired. Ruined my metabolism.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Everything I've read points to the cause being too aggressive a caloric deficit. This can become an issue with any diet, but with keto it can become more of an issue due to the hunger blunting effects.

New guy here, but I agree with the above. Most of research and anecdotal evidence I've seen points to caloric deficit for hair loss regardless of how the deficit is reached. Great news is, that means you should just try adding in another meal or snack or 2.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    McShorty7 wrote: »
    I had my hair fall out on my first attempt at keto...The Dr Bernstein Diet.. I was eating 800 calories/day and almost no fat. I was cold, sick and tired. Ruined my metabolism.

This is a checklist for "under-eating" signs. If these things are happening and you're healthy otherwise, it's probably lack of nutrition. The body starts to sacrifice what it deems expendable to keep organs functioning.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    McShorty7 wrote: »

This is a checklist for "under-eating" signs. If these things are happening and you're healthy otherwise, it's probably lack of nutrition. The body starts to sacrifice what it deems expendable to keep organs functioning.

For sure. And this time around it's taken me 9 months to lose a bit over 20 pounds doing everything the correct way