Determined December 2016: Week 4 (12/22-12/31)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Required repetition of challenge blurb:
baconslave wrote: »
There's a statistic going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There's lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this type of year.

This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land. We're shooting for Determined December. Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Determined December is possible!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's what mine might look like:
Monthly Goals:
To lose that rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious weight that has crept on thanks to lack of sleep, a supplement, and general bad attitude.
100g daily, 1700 cal, 6 days/week with 1 FATurday. Weekends have gotten too loose.
Keep working them muscles.
Be sparing with the alcohol, Jess. And plan for calories to be preposterous on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Start weight: 165.4 (Thanks for the lil' extra, adrenal support supplement!)
Goal weight: 159 and to stay there.

Sunday, 11/29:

Water: 120/120oz Small-checkmark.png
Electrolytes Good: Small-checkmark.png
Logged Food: Small-checkmark.png
Exercise as Planned?: 60 min Dreadmill walk Small-checkmark.png
At or Under Carb Level: 100/100g total Small-checkmark.png
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! Small-checkmark.png
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! Small-checkmark.png
7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif

Replies

• baconslave
    Options
    Last week folks. Keep trying to stay on the Nice List!
    We're almost there.
    So technically the week should end the 28th, but I'm not going to make a 5th week for just 3 days. So they're being corralled into this one.

christmas_shopping_songs.jpg
    LOL!

My gifts are all purchased. I just have to wrap the darn things. I HATE WRAPPING!!!
    I just want to put it all in plastic grocery bags and put a bow on it. :lol:
    And I have baking to do Saturday/Christmas Eve...bleh.

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    For 12/21/16
    No baking last night so no taste testing LOL
    Activity-still recovering from Tuesday's weight lifting class
    Meal prep is on point. Hubby asked if there was anything to snack on last night, I said help yourself to some sunflower seeds, pork rinds or fresh coconut.

I made deviled eggs for the office party today and armed myself with BPC ;)
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I haven't been checking in. Sorry about that
    Goal #1Lose 4 lbs. in December. Down 3.5 lbs.
    Goal #2Drink 64 oz. of water per day. Very hit or miss. I've done well this week.
    Goal #3Walk 5,000 steps per day. I have not met this goal often.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Still behaving. Scale is still up. :angry:
    Oh well.
    It's Christmas Eve Eve!!!
    Calories and carbs are good and getting my exercise in.
    I have to go down to our other house soon (Dad is living there now and sis is visiting) and visit with them. Kids are determined to end up on the Naughty List. rolleyes_2011.gif
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    12/22 check-in

Under calories

over carbs :(

Treat from break room...yes 2 cookies and a tootsie roll :o

Had a few drinks, boo

This week has been rough. We are very short handed at work so I have been stressed. Tonight is my works Christmas Dinner, I am going to try my best to be good!

SW: 163lbs
    LW: 160lbs
    CW: 157lbs

Hey at least I lost even going off track!
    I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Teeny tiny loss this week motivates me that maaaaybe I'll get to my goal of 187.3 pounds by Jan 1st. That's 7.3 pounds away. I need a swoosh or sthg similar to happen to see that!

Dinner out tonight. I will stay keto.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Been busy busy busy. I spent all day yesterday on my feet cooking.
    I ate like complete crap yesterday evening as I had planned.
    Was awarded by a stomach ache overnight. *rollingtheeyes*
    I intend to stay much lower carb today (calories will likely still be absurd), but plan to use them on a sub roll. Dying for a sub. I made low-carb cookies for me so I may have a few.

Started this morning super early b/c of early squeals from the 5-year-old over a present pile and stockings. And made a 44 count batch of Peanut Butter Kisses (peanut butter cookie with a Hershey's kiss on top.) More cooking of a ham later. In-laws and everybody coming over since Hubby is quite tired of running all over the universe on Christmas Day from years past events.

Rainy and mild today so far. Supposed to be close to 60 deg F. Which is ridiculous. At least it could be sunny so I could take a stroll later.

Hubby is supposed to make bacon this morning. THAT'S the way to start Christmas right! :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all! Enjoy your day, whether you have determined to stay on-plan or take a detour. Remember to come back to your plan tomorrow though!
    Have a fabulous day! :heart:
  • solska
    Options
    Trying to if with bpc these few days. Cause so many cookies! I'm ok with it as long as I manage to go right back on track tomorrow.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Come back, my darlings!
    It's the day after Christmas. :mrgreen:

I ate all the carbs. Now I'm back to eating low-carb. I don't care how many cookies are left or how much pie. They aren't for me.

The kids are playing with their stuff. I'm chilling checking on the boards. And later I shall exercise my muscles.

Have a great day!
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful low carb day!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    SW: 186
    GW: 182
    No sweets! (I learned my lesson over Thanksgiving weekend.)
    Work out at least 3 times a week.

SW: 186
    CW: 182.4 - so close!!!
    No sweets! - um. . . :( I succumbed to the miniature Hershey's bar and the Reese's peanut butter Christmas tree.
    Work out at least 3 times a week - I've done two already this week, so I'm almost there! B)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I only made one small batch of regular cookies w/the boys and yet they've been calling my name. So has DH's apple-pear crisp with whipped cream. And the fudge someone gave us. Sigh.

I did work out today though! And I've been doing a bit better at shifting my bed and wake-up times earlier.
  • baconslave
    Options
    funny-picture-before-christmas-after-christmas.png

Well...that's how I felt yesterday anyway. :lol:
    Got an hour walk in. I should have done strength, but it was nice out and I knew it was supposed to rain today. Soooooo...today I will do another bodyweight workout. Still shopping for free workout challenges. I'm thinking I'll maybe do HASfit's 90 day Warrior challenge?

There are still many cookies, but the only ones I'm eating are my low-carb chocolate pb ones. And staying within calories of course.

I will eat like complete crap again on Saturday, as it is my 38th birthday. Pizza and bourbon. And maybe some donuts. I haven't had a good one of those in about 2 years. After that it will be Rock Your Resolution January. The extra weight will go, and I'll get back down to 159, or I'll die trying. Hardcore! :grimace:

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I did ok this weekend. The only 'cheat' I allowed myself to have was about two tablespoons of berry compote over low-carb cheesecake. I ran 10 miles on Saturday (painfully, because low electrolytes... grrr), ran two on Sunday and have 5 today. Also, did Crossfit (real classes, yey!) Monday and this morning. I was under my calories, even with the feast on Saturday, and was REALLY under yesterday. Haven't gotten to the scale yet - maybe it will have something nice to tell me?
  • solska
    Options
    I ate so much of the bad good stuff, cookies and chocolate and more. Oy! Incredibly tired now. I need to sleep, eat better, hydrate etc. but am tempted to just go for an Asian lunch. This thread is making me try to get back at it quicker. Before when I got off track like this it would last much longer.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Quick update - the scale this morning showed a 4lb loss. I'm doing a little happy dance right now.

YAY!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    I ate so much of the bad good stuff, cookies and chocolate and more. Oy! Incredibly tired now. I need to sleep, eat better, hydrate etc. but am tempted to just go for an Asian lunch. This thread is making me try to get back at it quicker. Before when I got off track like this it would last much longer.

Yeah, it was a bit of a carb massacre for me. But the plan always was to wake up the next morning and go back to my normal WOE. So I just let the momentum of ingrained routine/habits carry me onward. As you go on, it will get easier and easier to just follow the WOE. And when life intrudes, as long as the intrusions remain occasional, it's not nearly as hard to bounce immediately back to normal.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I need to start throwing crap away ...
  • solska
    Options
    Indeed. And I'm only learning this. The disappointment isn't so great and I don't feel defeated. Strangely, I did go for Asian lunch. The place that always makes good stuff made two dishes in a row wrong, papaya salad and a roll with no rice, guess they didn't have their cook? so I didn't eat and figured it's a sign I should get back on track. Sipping skinny peppermint mocha made with just heavy cream now. I'll fix myself some keto Asian dinner later. My partner is ill and he is so grumpy and against all reason when he is ill that I have zero desire to deal with food is all.
    baconslave wrote: »
    solska wrote: »

Yeah, it was a bit of a carb massacre for me. But the plan always was to wake up the next morning and go back to my normal WOE. So I just let the momentum of ingrained routine/habits carry me onward. As you go on, it will get easier and easier to just follow the WOE. And when life intrudes, as long as the intrusions remain occasional, it's not nearly as hard to bounce immediately back to normal.