I've seen the light

Options
birdtobe
birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
This morning I came in to a pile of Christmas treats on my desk. Hadn't had breakfast, so I said, "What the hell!" and ate a cookie for breakfast, along with some almonds and string cheese. Now it's 11:30 and I'm ready to chew my arm off as my body reels from the sugar. It's hard to believe that this is how I used to eat--front-loading my day with sugar from muffins, lattes, and other crap. No wonder I was always starving by lunchtime.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I've been off plan most of the last 2-1/2 months, and I'm always hungry, have way less energy, and just generally feel unwell. I'm back on track as of yesterday morning, and I'm already feeling better and more in control. :)
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I ate 2 chocolate covered pretzels (tiny ones) and a bite of a mini cupcake at an office party, and I am amazed at how sweet they taste, almost sickening sweet. I didn't finish it. YUK. Funny how I didn't enjoy it at all. I guess I consider it a success :-) but it made me feel yucky.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I gave up sugar it was such a revelation! I had always felt like I was in a battle with my body.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wine gums and jujubes. Trouble for me. All the time.
    Christmas baking not so much....
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've stuck to the plan 100% (since starting three weeks ago) except for a Caesar salad with Marie's Caesar dressing, which has sugar and bad oils in it. I couldn't believe the cravings I had later that night! This wasn't caused by a cookie or candy, but salad dressing! That really shocked me. And it scared me from ever thinking I can have just one little bite of anything with sugar without paying a price, and I'm not talking about weight gain but about the havoc it wreaks with my appetite. I hate those cravings! Ugh.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say that I have stuck to the plan 100%, but I have not. When I do not, the cravings come back big time, and then I get to start over. Salad dressing is a big one I have found. Have to be really careful with it. Costco is another place that I get into trouble. Just one little taste. But tomorrow is another day.
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    poli22 wrote: »
    Salad dressing is a big one I have found. Have to be really careful with it.

I've started making my own salad dressings now and it has helped a lot. Dietdoctor.com has a really good recipe for blue cheese dressing. I also found one online for Caesar (my fave) and an apple cider vinaigrette which is very good. It's easy to sub healthy oils and fats into the recipes you find. I never buy dressing anymore.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I should try making my own. I make everything else myself, why not salad dressing?
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I ate 2 chocolate covered pretzels (tiny ones) and a bite of a mini cupcake at an office party, and I am amazed at how sweet they taste, almost sickening sweet. I didn't finish it. YUK. Funny how I didn't enjoy it at all. I guess I consider it a success :-) but it made me feel yucky.

I have been struggling of late but after a very long run of eating well, I find anything seeet like that tastes not only cloying but also a bit chemically and artificial if you know what I mean?!

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    my favorite bleu cheese dressing - equal parts bleu cheese, buttermilk, and mayo, then just mix...yum...but thin, not thick like a dip...
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »

I have been struggling of late but after a very long run of eating well, I find anything seeet like that tastes not only cloying but also a bit chemically and artificial if you know what I mean?!

YES! exactly. After eating real food for so long, it just doesn't taste good. I wonder how I ever liked that stuff before.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the salad dressings. While going through my refrigerator as part of a kitchen cleanup last month, I tossed the few commercial dressings I'd been hoarding. Salad dressings are incredibly easy to make; even my grocery store's never ending Buy One Get One offers shouldn't tempt me.