Low carb after weight loss surgery?

Options
I have a coworker who had a gastric sleeve done about a year and a half ago and is now interested in going low carb. Is there anything she needs to do differently? Any resources I can recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen thanks for the link! My friend has decided to go CICO, but I'll keep this bookmarked just in case.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve done in April 2010. I did lose 105 pounds, but at the year and a half mark I had regained right at 80 pounds. My thoughts were that I could eat what I wanted since I couldn't eat much of it (disastrous thinking!). I spent time trying CICO, and the same diets I had attempted before the weight loss surgery that had never been sustainable! After being ill my surgery had to be converted to a gastric bypass. So, in January, 2015 I was converted to the. Bypass. Before having this done I knew I had to change what I put in my mouth or I wouldn't succeed! So, I saw the bypass as another chance to get it right.

I came to MFP to log my food during the post op period. I found this group while looking around. I saw a blog post titled something like "Weight Loss Surgery vs Low Carb" (posted by @DittoDan who is still around somewhere! Hello Dan! Your post changed my life!!!) that drew me into this group. Once I finished the liquid portion of my post op period I jumped into LCHF and haven't looked back! I'm, now, a success at weight loss! I know I wouldn't be here without this woe! I've learned so much about foods and how they affect my body through this woe! I've also learned that doing the same thing, and expecting different results, IS the definition of insanity!

Mentally, I didn't want to give up foods I thought I loved! But I've learned that if they don't love you back (making me obese, and sick!) why would I want to put them in my body?

It's changed my life in more ways than I can count, and I'm in for life! I hope your friend finds what works for them, and gives them the good health they are seeking! :smile:
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I had a sleeve done in April 2010. I did lose 105 pounds, but at the year and a half mark I had regained right at 80 pounds. My thoughts were that I could eat what I wanted since I couldn't eat much of it (disastrous thinking!). I spent time trying CICO, and the same diets I had attempted before the weight loss surgery that had never been sustainable! After being ill my surgery had to be converted to a gastric bypass. So, in January, 2015 I was converted to the. Bypass. Before having this done I knew I had to change what I put in my mouth or I wouldn't succeed! So, I saw the bypass as another chance to get it right.

I came to MFP to log my food during the post op period. I found this group while looking around. I saw a blog post titled something like "Weight Loss Surgery vs Low Carb" (posted by @DittoDan who is still around somewhere! Hello Dan! Your post changed my life!!!) that drew me into this group. Once I finished the liquid portion of my post op period I jumped into LCHF and haven't looked back! I'm, now, a success at weight loss! I know I wouldn't be here without this woe! I've learned so much about foods and how they affect my body through this woe! I've also learned that doing the same thing, and expecting different results, IS the definition of insanity!

Mentally, I didn't want to give up foods I thought I loved! But I've learned that if they don't love you back (making me obese, and sick!) why would I want to put them in my body?

It's changed my life in more ways than I can count, and I'm in for life! I hope your friend finds what works for them, and gives them the good health they are seeking! :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! I had sleeve 7/2011, lost 95#, and was low carb initially. I have fallen off wagon due to stress, life, etc, and have gained about 40# back. I had done weight watchers and became lifetime during that time, but stuck to low carb during weight loss. So, I'm debating low carb vs WW, and decided after reading your post to go back low carb. I was not "extreme" low carb during my loss, basically stayed under 100 carbs daily, but I also ate between 80-100 protein daily. My surgeon was very strict post op about carbs, and high protein.

Now, I just need to be able to stick to it!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    This has been the easiest woe I've ever attempted, and I've tried them all! I did WW two times, low fat, low calorie, and even tried Atkins years ago. Losing weight wasn't a problem, but starving to death was my biggest issue, making them unsustainable! Any weight loss came back quickly, with friends! LCHF has given me control that I've never experienced before! I know that if I'd truly tried this woe that wls wouldn't have even been considered!

The biggest problem with wls is I considered it to be the answer to my weight loss needs. I wouldn't need to ever diet again! How deluded I was! I didn't hear the part about how I would need to eat, for life. I don't believe this was even included in the pre op education class. This class (yes, one 30 minute class) stressed how to eat during the post op, healing, phase, but didn't include anything beyond six weeks! So, I went into it with the wrong mindset, as I'm sure many do. I believe this is why weight regain is frequent after wls.

Don't neglect to increase your fat intake while decreasing carbs. This is the key to controlling hunger, and having control over food choices. Fat grams should be higher than protein grams to achieve this side effect. Once this is achieved you can then lower fat gram intake, allowing the body to use its own fat stores for energy. Without the increase of fats in the beginning hunger will make things very hard!

Please read through the Launch Pad for wonderful information that's been compiled to help us be successful! Best of luck to you!