Linda (SavedByGrace) OMAD Phase 2 ~ 2017

I'm beginning a new thread for 2017.

Replies

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    I've had the flu and still fighting it. I missed seeing my brother for Christmas. I didn't want him to get sick so we planned to meet in March since he had to go back to Florida today. We arranged to meet in Las Vegas when I plan on visiting my sister in March.

I have the week off and don't have to go back to work until next Monday, Jan. 2nd, so this gives me time to get over the flu.

I'm using my new scale now...which is 5 pounds heavier than my old scale so I adjusted my weight higher and want to get the 5 pounds off asap to be the weight I was.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and wishing you a marvelous and healthy 2017!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Come on, Phase II! Sorry about your having the flu. We've all not felt super around here, but things aren't too bad.

More good times!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

I love your idea of a new thread!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    <3 awesome idea! Might think of doing the same!
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Come on, Phase II! Sorry about your having the flu. We've all not felt super around here, but things aren't too bad.

More good times!

Hi Joe...

I can't believe I'm saying Phase II. I never thought it would happen. I'm still going strong except for a few times I ate a couple meals over the holidays. It happened and I've moved on. Nothing will stop me until I reach goal and then I will determine how I will tweak my eating to keep the weight off. I'll figure that out when I get there.

I'm still getting rid of clothes every week. I haven't lost very much weight the last month but I seem to be getting smaller for some reason. I'm looking forward to my next 'big' loss. Two or three pounds would make me smile.

Have you heard of Eccentrics? It's stretching the muscles for flexibility. I ordered a couple dvd's and looking forward to doing this a few times a week because my joints are getting stiff, especially my shoulders and upper arms. I haven't exercised since August and I think this is why. The movements are very slow so I don't think I will put stress on my body. I'm 66 so I guess this is typical for my age. Do you think this will be okay?

I'm still not 100% well but doing much better. I hope you're doing okay and not sick. The flu has been going around the Southern California area.

Wishing you a great New Year...2017...!! You are helping so many people, including me. I watched a few more of your videos and still learning so much. Thanks again for being someone who actually cares about other people. You are a sight to behold and you should be proud of yourself.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »

I love your idea of a new thread!

Hi Deb: I'm getting close to 40 pounds lost and my Phase I thread is getting long so I thought I'd start another thread. Happy New Year!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2016

More good times!

Hi Joe...

I can't believe I'm saying Phase II. I never thought it would happen. I'm still going strong except for a few times I ate a couple meals over the holidays. It happened and I've moved on. Nothing will stop me until I reach goal and then I will determine how I will tweak my eating to keep the weight off. I'll figure that out when I get there.

I'm still getting rid of clothes every week. I haven't lost very much weight the last month but I seem to be getting smaller for some reason. I'm looking forward to my next 'big' loss. Two or three pounds would make me smile.

Have you heard of Eccentrics? It's stretching the muscles for flexibility. I ordered a couple dvd's and looking forward to doing this a few times a week because my joints are getting stiff, especially my shoulders and upper arms. I haven't exercised since August and I think this is why. The movements are very slow so I don't think I will put stress on my body. I'm 66 so I guess this is typical for my age. Do you think this will be okay?

I'm still not 100% well but doing much better. I hope you're doing okay and not sick. The flu has been going around the Southern California area.

Wishing you a great New Year...2017...!! You are helping so many people, including me. I watched a few more of your videos and still learning so much. Thanks again for being someone who actually cares about other people. You are a sight to behold and you should be proud of yourself.

You may be getting smaller but staying the same weight because you may have gained some muscle. Muscle is denser so takes up less volume than fat.

I see the pros and cons of exercise as:

Pros:
    1. Will make you stronger both in a cardio-vascular sense and muscle strength sense.
    2. Will help with bone density
    3. Will burn calories during and after exercise (for repair and just to maintain the muscle) which can allow a person to lose more weight or at least be able to eat more without causing weight gain.
    4. Will make you look better when the fat is finally all gone.
    5. Feels good.
    6. I'm sure there are a few other health benefits.

Cons:
    1. A person gaining muscle will perceive that they are not losing fat when they still might me. A person could gain 5-lbs of muscle and lose 5-lbs of fat in a month and think they have made no progress or gain 5-lbs of muscle and lose no fat. From a mental perspective this is a con. From a %body fat perspective both of these are actually a pro. People don't gain muscle forever so this effect goes away after a month or two if doing resistance training.
    2. You can easily injure yourself with too much activity on your feet if your really heavy (I wouldn't do much on my feet tell at a weight that can handle it and also don't ever lift too heavy or you could injure yourself). Biking and swimming are much safer.
    3. Cortisol release may decrease some weight loss you would have gotten otherwise. This is the biggest con probably and would need to be weighed against the pros.
    4. If losing weight the fastest is needed to improve things like cancer-resistance, blood sugar levels, blood-pressure, etc. then forgoing resistance training might be the way to go to lose the fat the fastest. I've got mixed feelings on this one since I'm not sure of the protective factors more muscle would provide.

For me, all the pros are worth it for me at this stage of the game (I've lost some weight and am at about 25% bf. For others, it might be wise to wait a bit for doing much exercise as has been discussed before. The fastest way to a good % body fat isn't necessarily a direct route (gain muscle and lose fat) and may be quicker just concentrating on losing the fat 1st, My two-cents worth and just my opinions.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Thank you Blambo...I appreciate your input.
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member

I don't know what it's like for others, but for me I usually see either a minus on the scales or a minus on the measuring tape. Never both at the same time. The scales usually comes first and then it's like my body takes some time to adjust and show off the loss of weight. I'm happy I realized this, because every time I get on the scales and it doesn't show any losses (and I know I've eaten right) I can just reach for the measuring tape instead, I don't have to be discouraged.

I hope you are feeling better from the flu now!
  • blambo61
    we can actually gain weight if gaining muscle and improve %body fat. The scale won't show it but the measuring tape will!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Anneli_F wrote: »

I don't know what it's like for others, but for me I usually see either a minus on the scales or a minus on the measuring tape. Never both at the same time. The scales usually comes first and then it's like my body takes some time to adjust and show off the loss of weight. I'm happy I realized this, because every time I get on the scales and it doesn't show any losses (and I know I've eaten right) I can just reach for the measuring tape instead, I don't have to be discouraged.

I hope you are feeling better from the flu now!

That makes sense. I'll take my measurements and see what's going on. I still have a cold but doing better and have to go back to work on Monday after a week off. Thanks a bunch!!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    blambo61 wrote: »
    we can actually gain weight if gaining muscle and improve %body fat. The scale won't show it but the measuring tape will!

Thanks Bob!
  • DebSozo

I see a delay with either gaining or losing. It doesn't show immediately for me. December showed a gain, unfortunately in my case.
    :(
  • SavedByGrace26356
    I think we all gained a little through December so don't feel bad Deb.
  • blambo61
    Whole new year ahead of us!
  • DebSozo
    I think we all gained a little through December so don't feel bad Deb.

I feel optimistic for 2017!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    edited January 2017
    Just checking in to say I'm still the same weight. I gained a couple pounds and lost a couple pounds over the holidays. I know I'll lose something this month. I will just keep on keeping on and doing what I need to do to stay on program this month. I will weigh again next week. Best wishes that everyone goes down a pound this coming week!! We can do this!
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    Maintaining weight over the holidays is an accomplishment! You did great!

Dr Fung writes about a study on his blog ("A prospective study of holiday weight gain"):
    In the 6 weeks of the holiday period, roughly 2/3 of the weight of the entire year was gained (0.37 kg). In the remaining 46 weeks of the year, only 1/3 of the weight is gained.

• DebSozo
    edited January 2017

Dr Fung writes about a study on his blog ("A prospective study of holiday weight gain"):
    In the 6 weeks of the holiday period, roughly 2/3 of the weight of the entire year was gained (0.37 kg). In the remaining 46 weeks of the year, only 1/3 of the weight is gained.

It is very frustrating. Last year I managed to maintain, but this year I gained. The difference is that I stayed on a diet through the holidays a year ago. But this year I switched from lowish carb to high carb and was not as mindful or careful.
  • DebSozo
    edited January 2017
    Just checking in to say I'm still the same weight. I gained a couple pounds and lost a couple pounds over the holidays. I know I'll lose something this month. I will just keep on keeping on and doing what I need to do to stay on program this month. I will weigh again next week. Best wishes that everyone goes down a pound this coming week!! We can do this!

I also think that it is terrific that you managed to maintain. I wish that had happened to me.

I hope we all lose at least a pound this week too!