Nutritarian New Year!

Options
Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,912 Member
Figured I'd go with the traditional New Year thread title. I am definitely getting back on track this month, the past couple months haven't been good. Stress eating and no exercise and it definitely shows in how tight my clothes are fitting, my general lack of energy, etc. I keep reminding myself how great I feel when I am eating right and exercising.

Happy New Year! <3

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!!!

I hope and pray I have the discipline to make it a Nutritarian NY! Wishing you all the best of success with this as well. A healthy diet has such a huge impact on quality of life.

While I managed to avoid the virus Joe had over Christmas, we both ended up catching a cold from his dad. Hoping it doesn't last too long.

Here's a crazy piece of art I made. Doing a lot of experimentation right now.
    0ya6zb8xt5q6.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    Very cool Carla! Love your artwork.

Off to a decent start. I am easing into it a bit. Eating lots of veggies, fruit, beans, nuts. Avoiding starches. Still super busy at work, brought home quite a bit to do tonight so as soon as I eat I'll get on that.

B - smoothie (almond milk, amazing grass, chia seeds, 1 T brewer's yeast, 1/2 frozen banana)
    L - leftover black eyed peas and cabbage
    D - same as lunch
    S - small handful of raw almonds, apple
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all and Happy New Year! It has been a super long time since I checked in with the group. So much has changed! I think the last time I checked in I was struggling with a lot of pressures and was pretty stressed out. I was stuck in a pretty crappy job, trying to get my MBA (which I wasn't sure I wanted) and stressed about whether I wanted to get my CPA. My eating pretty much spiraled out of control and I pretty much fell off the map. This past summer everything seemed to hit rock bottom at work and I decided I needed to get out of the group I was working in. It had become a completely toxic environment with low morale everywhere. I found a job in a completely different area and left the Accounting group to work in Quality Assurance. I spent two months being told what a terrible decision it was by my boss and her boss and that it was basically career suicide with the company. Thankfully, I had a lot of strong supporters in my family and friends and I stayed the course and made the switch. In October I started working for a new group and my whole life started to change. The group is amazingly supportive, caring, funny, accepting and does an amazing job at recognizing hard work. I seriously feel like the luckiest person in the world getting to work with them. For the first time I feel like I am in the right place. All this time I thought I would simply make the best of the path life chose for me and be an Accountant, but, turns out that wasn't what I should be doing. Since changing jobs my MBA no longer feels like a noose around my neck, it is an opportunity that I am very much looking forward to completing this year. I finally feel like I can breathe again.

My new work group is also very focused on health and well being. Both mentally and physically. This means there is lots of support for working out, eating healthy and taking true vacation time (and not working on your vacation days). It has empowered me to start working out and get back to my eating. Last month I started getting back to my nutrition goals and today it dawned on me I got the best support for that here and why the heck hadn't I checked back in?!

Anyhow, looking forward to catching up with everyone! Hope everyone has been well!
    Laura
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Laura, great to see you! That's really amazing how well everything is turning out. It's so scary to make a leap and try something new, and sounds like you definitely made the right choice.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Up and down... still doing my smoothies for breakfast which seem to keep me full until lunchtime. They aren't strictly ETL since I add vegan protein powder. I had leftover black eyed peas and cabbage for lunch, I froze the rest, 4 days of eating it was enough. Today I got into a bag of curry cashews that I had bought for easy snacking, and it was way too easy. Ate too much of them. I have apples and clementines in the office fridge... so I'm going to stick with those no more nuts, too easy to overindulge.

Dinner is going to be a BIG salad with some black beans, onion, salsa. Skipping the avocado since I already more than got my fats in today with those darn cashews.

The next couple days are going to still be super busy, but I think by Saturday I will get to the treadmill and just make that a non-negotiable must do, like brushing my teeth. Gotta do it, every day!
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yay thanks for starting the thread, Mihani!!! Great job with all the smoothies, I've gone back to them too. I generally like porridge in the winters, but smoothies are a nice way to get my greens in when I'm really not feeling like salads. I also got into some snacking nuts last night and went overboard lol.

Carla, OMG your artwork is unbelievable!!!!!! I love your stuff, you have such a good eye. I could never even start something like that. However, I DID paint my own nutcracker over the holidays lmao. That was kinda fun. I feel like a big kid, trying to stay in the lines. How is your NY start going?

Yay Laura, welcome back ! That is so so good to hear about your job too. I think so many people have misconstrued ideas about what job success is, and I really think happiness/good people are so important. Easier said than done. Glad you found some good coworkers though.

I am trying to get back into the swing of things too and am wanting some healthier things, but also eating a helluva lot of sugar. I need to limit that big time. I'm starting to feel the baby girl kicking finally! Also, I suddenly feel like a bit of a ball-shape lol. So strange...
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

December was a gong show; I'm really glad it's over. And Mihani, I'm with you - my clothes all feel tight and I have no energy. :neutral: So upset with myself.

I've had smoothies for breakfast for the last 2 days. I'm going to spend a week or so getting my nutrition back in order, and then I'm going to make my treadmill non-negotiable too.

liapr - did you start to knit anything with your ball of yarn!! And congrats on the baby girl! You're going to be swimming in pink cuteness very soon! :smiley:

I did make a couple of Christmas presents, a scarf and a cowl, but I was late on both of them... :sigh:

Right now I'm working on a pair of socks that are so much fun - I'm gonna love wearing them!!
    IMG_3564_medium2.JPG

• liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow Karrie, that's amazing!!!!! I can't even imagine doing a pattern like that?! Sadly, my yarn is in a closet somewhere lol. But thanks for reminding me. January is a lot less insane than December and I've started to get into baby mode a little more, so I think I'll pull it out and try along with some youtube videos! I tried to set up a registry this weekend... omg babies need so much! It's crazy.

On the plus, I'm sick of eating junk food finally lol. So maybe I will be a better ETL buddy in the coming weeks!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Hi guys!

I'm working through my sickness and feeling like I'll make it through to the other side now! I think it was actually a flu because I had annoying hot and cold flashes, back and forth, especially when trying to sleep. There were a few days where I didn't accomplish anything. Like nothing...sat or slept and couldn't get into reading even. No fun. On the plus side, it took my appetite away and I haven't had any sweets in a while.

Karrie, I am jealous of your knitting abilities. I would love to be able to make socks & scarves for myself and my family. I love seeing what you make, please post more pics :)

I need to dig my treadmill out and start walking again. Ugh. It is in the corner of what became my art studio once it got cold. It is unplugged, jammed into the corner, and has about 2 tons of art supplies on it. Daunting! We are experiencing an unusually cold winter and the snow isn't melting quickly so walking around the property is treacherous right now.

It has been so long since I've eaten a proper ETL diet. I am tired of all of the failures and halfhearted attempts. You guys have inspired me with your smoothies, so this week I'm going to have a breakfast smoothie every morning and get back into that habit.

I said I'd post a pic of the commissioned painting I did for a friend of the family, but the picture they sent me was fuzzy and the painting was crooked lol. I don't think I took any of it other than a work in progress pic. I should know better!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi all... sorry I've been MIA. Car trouble and work craziness and secretary on vacation. Still struggling a bit to stay at it. But I did order the new Engine 2 book and it arrived today. Looking forward to reading it. I like Rip, he's not a doctor so his books are a bit more fun, less technical than the good doctors (MacDougall, Fuhrman, Campbell, Rip's dad Esselstyn). Sometimes a new book kind of reinforces the health part of the vegan way for me, revives my enthusiasm for eating healthy. Some of the recipes look good too. I have work to do yet tonight so I'll catch up more later. Just wanted you to know I didn't fall off the face of the earth!
  • reach53
    reach53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I too have been MIA for way more than a year. The past month I have been logging again and of course the weight starts coming off. Lol eating right and exercising - the miracle cure!
    But this week has been different: I actually did cut out the salt, as Dr. Fuhrman says and boy does that make a difference. Are you eating salt or are you all salt free? How do you manage when you eat out?
    Gwen
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just love the threads on here.

As a menopausal, 51 year old, hanging on to maintenance (14+ years) by a thread, I decided my new years GOAL was going to be: eat more plants.
    If you know me, you know I love the plants! But I'm committed to eating more plant based, eating much less red meat (I average once a week), and when choosing an animal protein, I'm going for fish.
    I've also recommitted to running, which, with menopausal insomnia, got kicked to the curb more often than not.

Thanks for starting this thread!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Checking in again. I hope that more frequent check-ins will help hold me accountable! I've been working on increasing my water and decreasing my coffee. Over the last week or so I've kept my coffee to just one cup in the morning. The only other thing I drink is water, but it seems sometimes like my body doesn't tell me when I'm thirsty and I'll go a long time without even thinking about having water.

Ugh, Mihani....sorry to hear about your car trouble! That is all you need with your busy schedule. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the Engine 2 book. I'm with you...once you have all of the technical info down, it is nice to read something a little more fun and breezy and still get re-inspired. I have one of Rip's books and at the time the recipes in it weren't strict ETL enough for me, but at this point they would be a huge improvement to my diet! I'm sure they can be modified a bit too. I don't remember what the problem was...maybe just too high in carbs at the time.

Welcome back, Gwen! After being off plan for a long time, I make my recipes with a low to normal amount of salt, just so that they are more appealing to my husband and I. How has cutting the salt made a difference for you? Does it make it easier to stay on plan or what is the benefit (aside from avoiding all that salt!). When I was on plan and eating out, we'd go to a few specific restaurants. We found a Vietnamese place that offered almost all of their dishes with a tofu option instead of meat and they have a lot of veggie stir fries with brown rice. We'd just take the hit on the salt for the day. It sure tasted extra delicious when we weren't used to it. We treated ourselves to 1 meal out a week and it worked for us.

Hi Sabine! I'm jealous of the running. I did the couch to 5k plan and it was so empowering. It really strengthened my lungs and I felt SO good! (aside from my knees...my knees started to hate me.) If it weren't for the knee issue, I would be running for sure. I've never experienced anything like it. And if you do it in the morning, you get that amazing runner's high (I've never had it with any other physical activity) that lasts all day. So yeah, jealous. Hard work but so worth it.

• Mihani
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Karrie, happy to see you, and love the new socks! You are so talented. You and Carla should open a shop together. How are the smoothies going?

How are you feeling Lia? The image of you sitting around knitting baby booties is just way too freaking cute! <3

Glad you are feeling better Carla. I haven’t had time to start on Rip’s book yet but will let you know. Awesome on cutting down on coffee. I have not got there yet, but I did get a box of turmeric ginger tea and have been having one cup a day. Supposed to be good for inflammation and I seem to have so many aches and pains lately.

Sabine great to see you! And I see you have landed yourself in jail again lol. You’re a repeat offender. >:)

Welcome back Gwen, great to see you! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

I’m still in a whirlwind of work craziness that is keeping me from fully committing to eating right and exercising, but I’m doing better. Honestly I’m so busy I don’t have time to eat that much! But I want to get back to regular exercise. It helps in so many ways, the mental boost is as good as the physical benefits to me.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Aww can totally see Lia knitting baby booties now <3 thanks for the imagery, Mihani.

Off to a good start this morning with my water. One cup of coffee seems to be working for me.

I always want my meals to be super quick and easy, yet I really have to feel inspired to keep up the healthy eating habit. I'm scouring the internet for Instant Pot vegan Indian recipes to make. Today I'm trying a Chana Masala (chickpea curry) recipe. I'll let you all know how it goes.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla I'm with you on the cooking thing... I love to cook but time is so limited lately when I'm even working weekends. But eating steamed veggies and brown rice all week isn't exactly exciting, and I need to stop eating things like hummus wraps and sandwiches so much. I like some of the recipes that Rip has in his book, I was skimming them last night and they seem very simple... and he has a list of "no recipe meals" for ideas of things to throw together. I think that's what I need to think about more, just what can I throw together and eat that is tasty and healthy, but not a big production. I would like to take time to cook a couple things on the weekends that will last a few days though. How did your chana masala turn out?
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Swinging through real quick! Day three of the whole family eating vegan dinners and so far they like everything! I have been following recipes from Clean Food Dirty Girl and they are delish! Tonight we had Curry Roasted Cauliflower with spinach and quinoa YUM! Gotta get back to studying, wanted to at least pop in and say say hi!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Wow, Laura, that is so great that the family is on board and enjoying the meals! That is half the battle. I will have to check out that recipe book. I just discovered the veganricha site and she has a post for 30 easy vegan weeknight dinner recipes: http://www.veganricha.com/2016/06/vegan-dinner-recipes.html.

Mihani, I am in love with that chana masala recipe! I wish I would have doubled it. I used the instant pot which made it incredibly easy, but if you have cooked chickpeas or use canned it should still be very easy without a pressure cooker. I used diced tomatoes with green chilies from a can instead of the fresh and instead of fresh chopped spinach I used a package I had in the freezer. I will try it at some point with fresh tomatoes and spinach but this came together fast and I really enjoyed it. Served it over rice. Her'es the link if you're interested: http://www.carveyourcraving.com/instant-pot-spinach-chana-masala-vegan-gluten-free/

I am going to work my way through the 30 recipes I linked above and will review them as I go :). I've been trying to organize things so that each week I end up with a chickpea dish, a lentil dish and a tofu dish. If I double each of those that pretty much gets us through the week. And the chana masala I just made, plus dal are two recipes I should always be able to make with ingredients on hand in the cupboard. If you can't tell, I'm super stoked to have some new recipes that are appealing and easy! yay!

In other news, my long awaited for art materials have arrived. I got money for Christmas and splurged on a large order that kept getting delayed due to the weather. I bought a gallon pail of modeling paste so be on the lookout for some new pieces with lots of texture! Plus a bunch of new paints, etc. It had been so long I had forgotten what all I ordered, so it really was like Christmas opening all of the packages.

Today's Plan:
    breakfast: coffee, grainy bread with nut butter, orange
    lunch: amy's wrap
    dinner: chana masala over brown jasmine rice

• Mihani
    Options
    Laura, that's very cool everyone is eating vegan with you! That recipe sounds good too. Sounds like you are still hard at work studying.

Carla, love that link on the veganricha site. I've visited the site before but it wasn't a go-to, thinking it will be upgraded to more regular visits. Can't wait to start in on some of those recipes. Will try the chana masala too. Looking forward to more masterpieces now that you have all your new goodies.

I left work a bit early today, secretary is back from vacation and I had errands to run (a couple of them for work so I felt pretty justified leaving early). Also stopped at Trader Joe's and restocked my frozen stir-fry veggies. They have a regular stir-fry and an Asian stir-fry in their freezer section, and they are really good, and very handy to have for quick dinners during the week. They are never mushy and gross like the brands in the regular grocery. I'll use the grocery store brands if I'm just adding them to recipes, but not for straight up stir-fry.

Not sure if I am going to do any work tonight. I brought a couple files home but I am really beat. It has been a long few weeks of non-stop working and I'm thinking relax, read, early bedtime. I am going to work all weekend again in the office, but I hope to cut back to at least one day of NO work every weekend after that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    Karrie, happy to see you, and love the new socks! You are so talented. You and Carla should open a shop together. How are the smoothies going?

How are you feeling Lia? The image of you sitting around knitting baby booties is just way too freaking cute! <3

Glad you are feeling better Carla. I haven’t had time to start on Rip’s book yet but will let you know. Awesome on cutting down on coffee. I have not got there yet, but I did get a box of turmeric ginger tea and have been having one cup a day. Supposed to be good for inflammation and I seem to have so many aches and pains lately.

Sabine great to see you! And I see you have landed yourself in jail again lol. You’re a repeat offender. >:)

Welcome back Gwen, great to see you! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

I’m still in a whirlwind of work craziness that is keeping me from fully committing to eating right and exercising, but I’m doing better. Honestly I’m so busy I don’t have time to eat that much! But I want to get back to regular exercise. It helps in so many ways, the mental boost is as good as the physical benefits to me.

I'm a total repeat offender.