Puzzled!

Options
jumanajane
jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
Hi all. Maybe you can help me.....

after a couple of years of keto and loss of 25kg up to 6 months back since when I have maintained very happily.....until early november when We went to the UK for a couple of weeks and had a few 'treats' such as Fish and Chips. Came back 2 kg up and immediately cut right back to VLCHF. Result.......only 1 kg off even after a 5 day egg fast. Since then it has stuck or crept back up that kg. No cheating, watching everything etc etc. I didnt log though until the last 3 days.
Now back logging and still around 16gm carb a day and nothing.....still the same 2kg up that I was in november! No losing anything.

This has puzzled me as I am aiming now to lose the last 6 kg to get to goal if possible.
Strangely I also feel that I am bigger in the abdo area and have actually gone up 1 inch on my waist which isnt comparable for only 2 kg gain.
Have I become resistant to going into keto? Am I still in keto? I have been perfectly honest with myself and am not hiding any hidden carbs or in denial of quantity as I still weigh so am happy its not me being in denial!! Lolol. Electrolytes are fine. Sleep is fine. Bowels fine.Energy fine.
Only noticable difference is an awareness of raised pulse rate a few times and for the last few days a feeling of slight depression which is definitely odd for me as I'm one of those (often irritatingly,lol) permanently positive happy people!!!!LOL
I have been racking my brains to try and think why and what to change and knew it was time to ask all of you for advice!
Thanks!

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @jumanajane -

Hmm. You've already interrogated the usual suspects.

I might suggest, in this order:

Manicure, shower, laxative, neti pot, enema, emetic, haircut, leeches, maybe another shower (optional).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe there was some kind of reaction throughout your digestive system that still hasn't returned to nomal. Something going on with the gut bugs or inflammatory or both and now you seem like it could be stressing you too.
    You know you're doing the right things. I think you may have just decide to keep calm and keto on. I've been unable to lose scale weight for a very long time myself. Only a little left to lose also. I think it starts to come down some resistance from the body to let go of the last excess bodyfat. We feel like it's excess but I'm not sure our bodies agree
  • jumanajane
    Options
    @RalfLott....
  • jumanajane
    Options
    There you see....take a chance on replying on my phone and you get the name and nowt else!
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Try again....
    @RalfLott ...lol....thanks...some appeal and some dont...you missed tape worms!
    @sunnybunny I have been puzzling over whether something is going on internally but my health is great I'm happy to say. I have plenty of post menopausal 'jelly belly' that can still go! I'll just hang in there anyway as keto is my normal lifestyle now so thats not going to change. The stress thing could have a bearing as hubby is trying to decide whether to stay here in Dubai or move back to UK. I dont feel stressed either way...i just get on with whatever happens but I guess I'm irritated he cant make up his mind! Woohooo....I can blame him and force him to decide for the sake of my waistline! :D:D>:)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Your symptoms are in line with an estrogen imbalance and if it were me I would try adding DIM to counter it.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »

.... You rang?

Can't believe I forgot tapeworms :s
  • jumanajane
    Options
    @tcunbeliever .....I'm 10 years post menopause so estrogen imbalance isnt likely....be sortable if it was! Sorry I don't know what DIM is????
  • trinidarkie1981
    trinidarkie1981 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

after a couple of years of keto and loss of 25kg up to 6 months back since when I have maintained very happily.....until early november when We went to the UK for a couple of weeks and had a few 'treats' such as Fish and Chips. Came back 2 kg up and immediately cut right back to VLCHF. Result.......only 1 kg off even after a 5 day egg fast. Since then it has stuck or crept back up that kg. No cheating, watching everything etc etc. I didnt log though until the last 3 days.
    Now back logging and still around 16gm carb a day and nothing.....still the same 2kg up that I was in november! No losing anything.

This has puzzled me as I am aiming now to lose the last 6 kg to get to goal if possible.
    Strangely I also feel that I am bigger in the abdo area and have actually gone up 1 inch on my waist which isnt comparable for only 2 kg gain.
    Have I become resistant to going into keto? Am I still in keto? I have been perfectly honest with myself and am not hiding any hidden carbs or in denial of quantity as I still weigh so am happy its not me being in denial!! Lolol. Electrolytes are fine. Sleep is fine. Bowels fine.Energy fine.
    Only noticable difference is an awareness of raised pulse rate a few times and for the last few days a feeling of slight depression which is definitely odd for me as I'm one of those (often irritatingly,lol) permanently positive happy people!!!!LOL
    I have been racking my brains to try and think why and what to change and knew it was time to ask all of you for advice!
    Thanks!

Maybe if you're using dairy (hwc, cheese etc) you can try cutting those out. I know they stall me by making me hold on to water weight. Alternatively you can use some Mag 07 to clear up any clogged pipelines, waste matter weighs a lot :wink:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've got plenty of belly still to go as well. My scale, though not totally accurate, shows me around 30% bodyfat still and I don't doubt it one bit. I haven't been able to get the scale to go down either and I'm actually up 8 pounds from the lowest weight I achieved last April with zero cheats at all. Strangely though, I am still wearing the same size pants. I haven't kept up with measuring because I think it's too easy to be inaccurate. I like my comparison photos and clothing fit better.
    Including that 8 pounds, I'm only looking to lose about 12. Being so close to goal you'd think 8 pounds would make a fair difference in clothing fit.
    Anyway, I wouldn't cast off the possibility of reaction so quickly. That 1" measurement difference is likely inaccurate. Think about it? You're only up 1kg right? You mentioned losing 1 of the 2kg gain... we don't gain weight in just one spot. What are the odds that 1kg is responsible for a 1" gain specifically in one spot? If it's your waist you measured, something that can more quickly influence that measurement as well as small scale weight, is water from internal inflammation in the gut. That could result in both scale and waist measurement differences.
    I don't tolerate vegetables well. But if eat a half a plate (normal serving) of veggies, I do not digest them well and it has resulted in up to 5 pounds of scale weight for me along with pants feeling tighter. I immediately start addressing it with ACV and by drinking water and it takes several days, assuming I don't eat any more veggies, to finally go away.
    As a matter of fact, it was in April, when I first cut veggies that I achieved that lowest weight and started seeing the scale creep up again only after trying to eat small portions of veggies several times a week. I've never gone without them again as consistently as I did that month and I've never been able to achieve that weight again.
    It's entirely possible that I have just enough inflammation and stress on my system that it just won't allow me to lose that bodyfat under those conditions.
    But again, even though I am up on the scale from then doesn't mean I'm any larger. I'm wearing those same clothes. And I'm actually the same weight now that I was in September 2015 but a full size smaller in pants. So you can lose bodyfat without losing scale weight.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @jumanajane - I know you mentioned not feeling stressed, but your body can mask it. I recently found out my elevated BG readings are primarily a result of stress (elevated cortisol) and that I am not only not IR, but I seem to have better than average insulin sensitivity. I don't feel like I am stressed, but there can be other causes of stress. You mentioned sleep is not one, but what about overexercising, any physical injuries, etc.? The stress aspect could also explain the depression you mentioned.

The one area of stress I could identify was the obsessive way in which I was tracking everything I ate and did and testing my BG up to 12 times a day. This is where the phrase mentioned about keep calm and keto on comes in as you stressing about not losing may actually be the cause of not losing.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You've maintained quite a while. Congrats! What have you changed since you lost fat the last time? Stress, lack of sleep, antibiotics, medications, underestimating intake etc etc could be culprits. Reassess your current routines :)

Overseas travel isn't natural for the body. And it's quite stressful for the body to switch clocks alone. If you ate out in restaurants a lot, they will almost always use cheap oils like cornseed and the likes. Hello, inflammation! I wouldn't worry over the 1 kg since UK. Possibly water weight.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly Jane you had a cardiac issue of some type while traveling last spring (?timeline). Maybe a medication you were prescribed? We know there are way too many side effects to all medications. Could even be the cause of your feelings of depression.

Any new artificial sweetener use? With my history of reaction to artificial sweeteners causing inflammation (weight gain for me) I would check those too.

I hope you find the answer and resolve it soon. I wouldn't hesitate to have a medical evaluation if the issue continues.

Hugs dear! Good to see you!
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much for your input!
    @trinidarkie1981 ......i have eaten dairy all the way through without any trouble and I use Natural Calm magnesium every day and my pipes are happily nice and clear!

@sunnybunny I agree with everything you said! The weird thing is that this is the first time I have had a treat or two, put on a kg or so of water weight and not been able to lose it again. I am happy with where and how I measure my waist as I have a scar thats my positional marker,lol. As i do it regularly as a non weight marker and its been consistent over the last 2 months I dont think its needing a poo or anything. Hope you get those pounds shifting soon.

@cstehanson lolol sorry to be a disappointment but the only exercise I get is walking at a good pace several times a week. No change. I'm not obsessive about logging, dont check my BG much etc. My only concession to that is daily weighing and i dont fret it is goes either way as I know the variability but this time its niggling. I'm not depressed....down is more descriptive but its odd as I'm a bit of a nutter(happy) usually! Lol.

@Foamroller nice to see you are still active on here! Thats the enigma....I havent been doing anything different! No changes at all except the trip and as we both eat keto usually our treats comprised of fish and chips, a scone and 1 meal out. I cooked the rest of the time. Sadly its 2kg and still here 2 months later!

Karla! How are you?? Getting better every day I hope. Yep, the stent was 14 months back. Not on any medication except aspirin! Hmmmm...I finished the Plavix in november....did that actually keep a couple of kg off??? Interesting! Absolutely nothing new in anything! Thats what so irritating! Yes, its only 2 kg but its stubborn now and I just cant work out what to change. I cut back protein....and anything I made with sweeteners. Im in touch with my hunger/fullness messages......nothing!
    I mentor a group of about 10 ladies all doing Low Carb/keto at differing levels and started a challenge and so they look to me for showing results etc! Help! Lol.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Our bodies change without us noticing. When I was young a frd accused me of hosting a tapeworm cause I could eat everything. Not anymore, lol. We still have huge craters of missing knowledge about our endocrine system. Maybe you've been hit with a mystery.

Did you hit maintenance by choice or did it just happen? I don't wanna sound assholy, but if you're not shedding fat and you're certain you eat at a deficit. Don't trust the calculator. The calcs are based on averages. If you're outside the bell curve on BMR...then it may be time to look at details like micronutrients and improving microbiome and...ugh...quality of sleep. I know it sucks. It's a rabbit hole. I'm still down here, lol. (waving).
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Thanks!

The thing I don't see mentioned is calorie consumption. Keto isn't magic - so if your eating habits changed to increase your calorie consumption (even though your carb consumption is steady), you may need to also count calories.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    I reached a point where I wasn't losing anymore back in April and was actually quite happy. I naturally stayed in maintenance right up until we went to UK. I wasn't logging by then. Just started logging again 3 days ago. Macros are fine etc. Calories I refuse to count anymore but I do IF or plain just eat when I'm hungry but that's what I have done for ages. I only eat twice a day.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Subbing to thread bc bloating/firmness/generally distended abdomen (even w/empty stomach) has been an issue for me for years, hope you can find a resolution.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Microbiome ticks off most of those boxes. Overheated bad quality oils coupled with flour batter may throw your good bacteria off for quite a while. Especially if you feel that your abdomen is the main problem area. The intestines have a large part to play in depression as well.