Oats

Options
pangy1958
pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
Sorry if this is a silly question but I am getting confused on good carbs and ones to avoid. Is porridge oats classed as good or one to avoid.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    To eat oats on a low carb diet, you have to really be careful about quantity because they are so carb-dense.

Personally, I'm limiting to 50g per day max of net carbs; but I really shoot for 20g-30g. So in my case, oats are off limits. To me, there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" carbs beyond fiber. I don't limit fiber because it isn't converted to glucose. So fiber is unlimited and excluded from net carbs. All other carbs from other sources are counted in my goal, and carbs are carbs without such thing as "good" or "bad." If your goal is higher, you can fit more things into that carb goal; and that could mean you can eat some oats if that is something you like.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I lost ALL my excess weight (63 pounds) while regularly including steel cut (my favorite) oats. Throw several servings of dry steel cut in a pan, lightly toast, add water, bring to boil, throw in cinnamon, stevia, fruits and nuts if you like, stir, put the lid on, turn off the burner and let sit (lid on) til the next morning (or at least an hour). Divide into portions and put in fridge. They're chewy versus gooey.

I eat keto now (for a neurological movement disorder) so I don't eat oats but they have my "blessing" for weight loss and even low carb diets if they fit your carb macro and for the reasons listed above by other poster. Boston Cream Pie, Red Velvet Cake, etc get a "no" from me since it is something I might tend to over eat.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Love oats. I make a big pot of steel cut oats and then add a sunny side up egg, some spinach, and cheese. YUM.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I accidentally grabbed a jar of cumin (or was it curry??) instead of cinnamon one day and realized what I had in hand with the 1st shake. I decided "oh, well" and added some more and stirred it in. It was delicious!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you are serious about strict LC/HF, oats are a no-no and will keep you struggling to not max out past 20 g carbs per day. You'd be well behooved to find an alternative to your porridge. Try hemp seeds? I know there are a couple recipes out there for cold cereal, here is a hot one:
    https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe/grain-free-hemp-heart-porridge/
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Raw steel cut oats are a good source of resistent starch which are hard to digest and feed the good gut bacteria and produce butyrates (fat burning mode) and have a bunch of other purported health benefits.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Raw steel cut oats are a good source of resistent starch which are hard to digest and feed the good gut bacteria and produce butyrates (fat burning mode) and have a bunch of other purported health benefits.

Butter = butyric acid... yummy yummy gut feeding butter.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I accidentally grabbed a jar of cumin (or was it curry??) instead of cinnamon one day and realized what I had in hand with the 1st shake. I decided "oh, well" and added some more and stirred it in. It was delicious!

It was probably cumin. That stuff is amazing, and nearly as versatile as cinnamon. I actually use them together, along with tumeric and a little black pepper on my chicken sometimes.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was looking for an alternative to my usual oats and found this recipe: 2 T chia seeds, 2T ground flax, 1/2 cup almond milk. Combine and let sit in fridge overnight. Heat in microwave in morning.

I thought it would be awful, but its actually delicious. I started adding 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder and some sugar free/cal free vanilla syrup. Super yummy, full of fiber and good fats and keeps me full.