Nausea

Options
Hello,

I am on week 2 of no sugar and no grains or potatoes. I have not been inputting my foods, as I wanted to make the transition first and then start tracking.
I have read the stickies, and I have been supplementing with Magnesium, eating avocados, and drinking homemade salted bone broth, but I am really struggling with nausea. I otherwise feel fine, but it's affecting my even wanting to eat at all.

Anything else I'm not doing that can help with that? Is it just part of the "detox" process and will get better with time?

Replies

• jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too, but it generally passes. I have a feeling it has something to do with a nutrient, but I have yet to figure out what it is.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It was always salt for me, if you drink some pickle juice does it help? Sometimes too much fat can do that too. Hard to say if you aren't tracking.
  • wanderingirl
    wanderingirl Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I haven't tried pickle juice, the thought doesn't sound appealing :)
    I have scrambled eggs and avocado for breakfast.
    Lunch all this week I have had homemade Albondigas soup: tomato sauce, enchilada sauce (all compliant with no sugars/grains), broth, with meatballs in it.
    Snack: A small fat bomb: peanut butter (compliant), coconut oil, and 72% chocolate.
    Dinner: A meat of some sort, and green salad with homemade vinaigrette.

ETA: a cup of bone broth also on most days
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Lunch all this week I have had homemade Albondigas soup: tomato sauce, enchilada sauce (all compliant with no sugars/grains), broth, with meatballs in it.
    Snack: A small fat bomb: peanut butter (compliant), coconut oil, and 72% chocolate.

I mean, your just eating real food. Doesn't sound like you're trying to force down loads of fat or anything that might create nausea.
    To recap,
    You list
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    You mention feeling nauseated and not wanting to eat.
    When does the nausea start?
    Is it a couple bites in? Is it while you're cooking?
    Is it constant?
    I suspect your body may be just telling you that you don't need any food.
  • wanderingirl
    Options

I mean, your just eating real food. Doesn't sound like you're trying to force down loads of fat or anything that might create nausea.
    To recap,
    You list
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Is it constant?

I wake up feeling nauseous. I force myself to eat, sometimes it helps. But, it's pretty much a constant feeling. I try to drink a glass of water or sip on herbal tea or the bone broth if I really can't get food down.

I've had 5 children, and never had nausea this bad with any of my pregnancies!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

To recap,
    You list
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Is it constant?

I wake up feeling nauseous. I force myself to eat, sometimes it helps. But, it's pretty much a constant feeling. I try to drink a glass of water or sip on herbal tea or the bone broth if I really can't get food down.

Well there goes that theory then.

I wonder if you're teetering in an out of ketosis. Could be hard to tell without a food history and tracking carbs.
    Being on the edge can be tricky because it keeps your fluid/sodium balance going up and down a lot even within the same day.
    Have there been any off plan foods at all during the 2 weeks? That would throw the balance off too.
    How about blood sugar? Are you diabetic? Ever suspected Insulin Resistance? Ever get the shakes when you went 5 or so hours without food in the past?
  • wanderingirl
    Options

To recap,
    You list
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Is it constant?

I wonder if you're teetering in an out of ketosis. Could be hard to tell without a food history and tracking carbs.
    Being on the edge can be tricky because it keeps your fluid/sodium balance going up and down a lot even within the same day.
    Have there been any off plan foods at all during the 2 weeks? That would throw the balance off too.
    How about blood sugar? Are you diabetic? Ever suspected Insulin Resistance? Ever get the shakes when you went 5 or so hours without food in the past?

I have had no cheating since I started De.26th.
    I'm not diabetic.
    I do suspect insulin resistance, I have PCOS, and started eating this way on the recommendation of my Nurse Practioner due to slightly elevated lipids.
    Maybe occasion shakes if not eating for long stretch in past, but not super regular.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

To recap,
    You list
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Is it constant?

I'm not diabetic.
    I do suspect insulin resistance, I have PCOS, and started eating this way on the recommendation of my Nurse Practioner due to slightly elevated lipids.
    Maybe occasion shakes if not eating for long stretch in past, but not super regular.

The PCOS and even occasional shakes on long periods without food does make me feel like blood sugar is jumping around on you. It's at least a possible thing that there are clues pointing at. If you can check bg when you're feeling most nauseated it could help get an answer. Though it also might appear normal because a person can feel that way just from bg dropping even if it's still in normal range. It just depends on how quickly it drops. Since eating kind of makes it feel better, that also supports the idea.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Nausea can be a symptom of low sodium or low mag.
    If you aren't tracking, then you really should temporarily to make sure you are getting enough sodium. Whole foods and unprocessed foods tend to be low in sodium. Low-carbers require over 3000mg daily and sometimes as high as 5,000mg a day, to keep from leeching the other electrolytes and becoming imbalanced. I can't usually get there unless I drink ketoade.

I could be wrong.
    If it's electolytes, drinking more plain water will flush them further. Add a 1/4 tsp of salt, or as much as you can tolerate, to your broth. You should start to feel better within 20-30 min if that's what it is.

That's just what I would try.
    I hope you figure out the problem soon.
  • wanderingirl
    Options

To recap,
    You list
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Is it constant?

I'm not diabetic.

The PCOS and even occasional shakes on long periods without food does make me feel like blood sugar is jumping around on you. It's at least a possible thing that there are clues pointing at. If you can check bg when you're feeling most nauseated it could help get an answer. Though it also might appear normal because a person can feel that way just from bg dropping even if it's still in normal range. It just depends on how quickly it drops. Since eating kind of makes it feel better, that also supports the idea.

I don't have a way of checking. If I assume that is the problem, what is the solution: riding it out until things normalize? Eat smaller amounts of food more consistently?
  • wanderingirl
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    If you aren't tracking, then you really should temporarily to make sure you are getting enough sodium. Whole foods and unprocessed foods tend to be low in sodium. Low-carbers require over 3000mg daily and sometimes as high as 5,000mg a day, to keep from leeching the other electrolytes and becoming imbalanced. I can't usually get there unless I drink ketoade.

I could be wrong.
    If it's electolytes, drinking more plain water will flush them further. Add a 1/4 tsp of salt, or as much as you can tolerate, to your broth. You should start to feel better within 20-30 min if that's what it is.

I supplement Magnesium with Natural Calm every morning. I tried to increase from 1t to 2t, but my stomach did not handle it well.

When making my bone broth, I sale to taste. How do I track how much salt is in it?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Salt to taste wasn't enough for me at the beginning. I had to chug a 1/4 tsp of lite salt in a glass of lemon water. 30 minutes later I'd feel much better.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

To recap,
    You list
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Is it constant?

I'm not diabetic.

I don't have a way of checking. If I assume that is the problem, what is the solution: riding it out until things normalize? Eat smaller amounts of food more consistently?

Generally riding it out. If it is insulin resistance and adjusting to low carb creating some fluctuations, low carb, is the way to improve it.
    I didn't mention the sodium thing since you said you read the launchpad. I figured you knew about the 3000-5000mg sodium needs but it seems like that may actually be the more likely issue since the salted broth is the main source of your sodium intake. Unless you're having it 4-6 times a day, I change my opinion back to low sodium honestly, since it now sounds like you aren't anywhere near those numbers.
  • baconslave
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I could be wrong.

I supplement Magnesium with Natural Calm every morning. I tried to increase from 1t to 2t, but my stomach did not handle it well.

When making my bone broth, I sale to taste. How do I track how much salt is in it?
    Cadori wrote: »
    Salt to taste wasn't enough for me at the beginning. I had to chug a 1/4 tsp of lite salt in a glass of lemon water. 30 minutes later I'd feel much better.

Yes. Add up to a quarter tsp. That should do it.

Some people might require another 1/8 to 1/4 tsp more salt later in the day until they get their levels built up.

Taking magnesium is great, but if your salt is low, your body won't keep it. You don't need to add more mag right off Add salt first.
    Salt is the bottom of the pyramid. If it isn't a complete foundation, it all falls down. That's how it works with electrolytes. Adequate sodium preserves the rest. If it's not adequate, it doesn't matter how much you take of everything else, they are going to be flushed out.

• wanderingirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll work on upping the salt.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll work on upping the salt.

Do let us know how it turns out. I hope it's the answer. That way you don't have to go looking for another cause. And you'll feel better. :smile: