Awful Leg Cramps

Options
mbonacci12
mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
Been getting really bad leg cramps while sleeping. I have been doing LCHF since October. Drinking a lot of water, so not sure what is causing it. I have read here about too little salt. I am just afraid that if I increase the salt, it will hold on to the water.

Replies

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue for years. When I'd do well drinking a lot of water, I'd pay for it at night. I discovered that if I eat dill pickles during the day, I miraculously have no cramps at night. And no bloat.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    mbonacci12 wrote: »
    Been getting really bad leg cramps while sleeping. I have been doing LCHF since October. Drinking a lot of water, so not sure what is causing it. I have read here about too little salt. I am just afraid that if I increase the salt, it will hold on to the water.

I would suggest chasing through the sticky LCD Launch Pad thread - there's plenty of info on keto flu, electrolytes, etc.

A couple thoughts...

For most people, there is less of a tendency to retain fluid on LCHF.

Your body does need fluids, sodium, potassium, and - especially - magnesium if you're having leg cramps. (If salt causes you to hold on to H2O, maybe that's what your body is asking for... )

Leg cramps can also result from statin use, and meds affect some people differently on LCHF.

Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mbonacci12

Carbs naturally require extra water to process them, so by nature your body has less water now than if you used to eat carbs all of the time. Because you are dumping water, your body keeps electrolytes in balance, so it has been dumping sodium first, then also potassium and magnesium to keep it's balance. If you are not adding back in sodium, but you keep adding water, your body keeps dumping sodium with the water by nature. You are basically depleting your sodium completely, and now your magnesium too, of which over 85% of the first world population is already deficient due to soil depletion, pesticides, GMO's, etc.

Please read through the Launch Pad sticky note. More of the science in why is there.

The majority of low carb folks need to REPLACE 3000-5000 MG of sodium MINIMUM when first going low carb. Some folks can go back to 2000 MG after they get adapted. Others like me have to maintain the higher levels. My understanding is there is a single genetic based high blood pressure that is one of the only types that shouldn't increase sodium too much, but you are REPLACING what you've dumped, not overdosing your body. I personally would increase your amount by a minimum of 500 mg a day every few days until you find your own best threshold.

I retain water with too LITTLE sodium. I haven't reached retention from too much sodium, and even when adapting, I was over 6000 mg a day many days. Also, most folks need to add magnesium if they aren't eating all organic and grass fed items (those tend to get a bit better on natural nutrition). However, there's a whole set of information on what types are better, what types will cause you to be in the bathroom all day, and such. My personal favorite is a chelated magnesium gylcinate, but I started with a chelated magnesium citrate. Avoid magnesium oxide - as that is one they used to clear you out before a colonoscopy. I get mine online, but the launch pad should have recommendations on that too. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest
  • mbonacci12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    You can check out labdoor.com for reviews of magnesium supplements.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I get foot cramps occasionally and use a topical magnesium on them, makes them relax immediately and they don't usually come back.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I get foot cramps occasionally and use a topical magnesium on them, makes them relax immediately and they don't usually come back.

Wow. Got a brand you like?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Wow. Got a brand you like?

This is the one I use.
    https://www.amazon.com/USP-Grade-MAGNESIUM-OIL-Headaches/dp/B00Q78C1EW/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483627296&sr=8-10&keywords=magnesium+oil&th=1
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I used to have this more often when eating SAD. On low carb, it happens less often. However, I just had this issue a couple nights ago. I keep the leftover juice from pickles in my fridge. So when that happened recently, I grabbed a jar and drank it. Still happened throughout the night, but got better over time. By the time I had to get up, they were pretty much gone.

I do take magnesium supplements and generally get around 3K-5K mg daily of sodium in my diet. Blood tests done on 12-30-16 show both sodium and potassium within normal ranges, but that was with 3 hrs. of fasting (including no water). Prior to the 3 hrs. of fasting, I had eating several sausages (breakfast) with lots of sodium (will come back to edit for sodium quantity). The same day, later in the afternoon, I went for a run (about 7-8 miles) and I'm sure I depleted out sodium from that. Dinner included meat with high sodium content. Just something that has to be added throughout the day.

ETA: 1,800 mg of sodium that day for breakfast sausages, 3 hrs. prior to lab test. Later that same day, I had meat for dinner and pork rinds for snacks. Ultimately ended with just under 9K mg sodium for the day.
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've had bad leg cramps even when not doing LC. I got quinine pills at Walgreens, which helped a lot. For the not too severe cramps, I use Icy Hot and that helps a lot.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I used to have this more often when eating SAD. On low carb, it happens less often. However, I just had this issue a couple nights ago. I keep the leftover juice from pickles in my fridge. So when that happened recently, I grabbed a jar and drank it. Still happened throughout the night, but got better over time. By the time I had to get up, they were pretty much gone.

I do take magnesium supplements and generally get around 3K-5K mg daily of sodium in my diet. Blood tests done on 12-30-16 show both sodium and potassium within normal ranges, but that was with 3 hrs. of fasting (including no water). Prior to the 3 hrs. of fasting, I had eating several sausages (breakfast) with lots of sodium (will come back to edit for sodium quantity). The same day, later in the afternoon, I went for a run (about 7-8 miles) and I'm sure I depleted out sodium from that. Dinner included meat with high sodium content. Just something that has to be added throughout the day.

ETA: 1,800 mg of sodium that day for breakfast sausages, 3 hrs. prior to lab test. Later that same day, I had meat for dinner and pork rinds for snacks. Ultimately ended with just under 9K mg sodium for the day.

@midwesterner85

The basic blood tests (if they are the ones that are standard, part of a normal metabolic panel) you (likely) had done on sodium and potassium are pretty much not of much use unless you have MASSIVE deficiencies. The body will keep as close to balance range as possible - even if it means strip mining your bones and muscles for what it needs. So the blood is nearly always in balance, within reason, unless you're literally almost to the point of needing to be in the hospital. There are some tests that show the functional level of those things - and the stored levels, but they are NON-STANDARD tests, and very rarely run... Just as an FYI...which personally, I found quite interesting.

That all being said, I did increase my magnesium levels from the lowest end of acceptable range to the higher end by supplements, so I think that improved my "whole body" magnesium situation, but even when I was deficient and suffering massive issues as a result, my standard metabolic screening showed me in "acceptable ranges" across the board. I sincerely wonder what the "deep dig" tests would have shown.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@midwesterner85

The basic blood tests (if they are the ones that are standard, part of a normal metabolic panel) you (likely) had done on sodium and potassium are pretty much not of much use unless you have MASSIVE deficiencies. The body will keep as close to balance range as possible - even if it means strip mining your bones and muscles for what it needs. So the blood is nearly always in balance, within reason, unless you're literally almost to the point of needing to be in the hospital. There are some tests that show the functional level of those things - and the stored levels, but they are NON-STANDARD tests, and very rarely run... Just as an FYI...which personally, I found quite interesting.

That all being said, I did increase my magnesium levels from the lowest end of acceptable range to the higher end by supplements, so I think that improved my "whole body" magnesium situation, but even when I was deficient and suffering massive issues as a result, my standard metabolic screening showed me in "acceptable ranges" across the board. I sincerely wonder what the "deep dig" tests would have shown.

That is good to know. This was a normal blood panel.
  • mbonacci12
    Options
    I went back to check my sodium levels over the last 30 days and was really surprised at how low my levels were. Granted, I do salt my meals pretty liberally, but I will definitely need to increase. The cramps are in my calf and they go away fairly quickly, but those 3 minutes seem like an eternity!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I if they continue at night after increasing your sodium content you will need to try adding magnesium too. When ketones are excreted through the urine they take these electrolytes with them. Replacement is needed to prevent the side effects (leg cramps for you, and me, headaches, nausea.....for others). Magnesium comes in many forms like Epsom salts, sprays, and different types of tablet supplements. When considering tablets it's best to stick with the citrate (or others that end with "ate") instead of the oxide. The "ates" absorb better being more effective. The oxide type is good for constipation, but doesn't work very well for the electrolyte needs of ketoers.

Remember the amount of sodium recommended is to replace what you're losing through ketosis.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    FYI, here's the URL for LabDoor's magnesium scorecard:

https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I found that while I have issues with my sodium balance I only get cramps/spasms if I miss my magnesium. I take two mag glycinate each night and haven't had any issue, even with the neck spasms I used to get before lc.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I third (fourth?) the pickle juice. If you don't like pickles, have some broth. Add salt (good salt, not table salt--sea salt or pink salt) to your food, all your food, if you can stand it. I used to have hypertension and had to avoid added salt like the plague and keep my sodium intake down, and yet, suffered from edema in my legs badly. I make sure to have 3-5 g of sodium daily. Helps when you have head/body aches, too.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    I third (fourth?) the pickle juice. If you don't like pickles, have some broth. Add salt (good salt, not table salt--sea salt or pink salt) to your food, all your food, if you can stand it. I used to have hypertension and had to avoid added salt like the plague and keep my sodium intake down, and yet, suffered from edema in my legs badly. I make sure to have 3-5 g of sodium daily. Helps when you have head/body aches, too.

Gadzooks! You have really made some progress - congrats again on your successes.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    When I wake up during the night with leg cramps I grab my spray bottle of magnesium oil, squirt a couple of sprays onto my legs, rub in, and go back to bed, no more cramps. This is what I use: http://www.vitacost.com/sunfood-magnesium-oil-spray-4-fl-oz