Fasting Blood Sugars

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Just a few thoughts. First, if scheduling has caused you to not exercise, your stress levels are likely higher. Stress increases cortisol which increases BG.

Second, according to Dr Adam Naly, it is not uncommon for someone who is IR to have FBG a bit over 100 after becoming fat adapted. He said his morning FBG is consistently around 105, but his A1c is 5.2. The more important measure is the PP reading as that will tell you how well your body is processing what you eaten. I would suggest finding a way to fit this testing into your schedule.

Third, why did you up your carbs, and with what foods and how have you spread them out? If you are taking them in mostly in one meal, then that will cause some problems as will taking them in via straight sugar. According to Dr Bernstein, your body does not process carbs as well first thing in the morning so breakfast should be the lowest carb meal of the day. He suggests 6 g for breakfast and 12 g each for lunch and dinner. That is only 30 total, so maybe double if you think 60 is where you want to be.

@cstehansen - Dr. Berg suggests a 1/2/3 breakdown. so if you number is 60 total carbs, it would be 10 at breakfast, 20 at lunch, and 30 at dinner. As a non-diabetic who is insulin resistant, my carb tolerance is many times over better at night, so this very much corresponds to my own experience. (Dr. Berg may not be the person I remember with this breakdown in reflection...it was the Diabetes Summit...and I remember the podcast was an older Diabetes doc now... I think Dr. Berg said something similar, which is why it linked in my brain... I'd have to dig out my notes to remember which doc this was, and I'm happy to do so if anyone really wants to know. Just lemme know.)

But I have also recently discovered, as it seems you did at the Brazilian Steakhouse, that it isn't always just insulin resistance - meaning glucose is the issue, but I was having the equivalent of carb crashes with keto only meals, leading to a tentative complication - being total cellular energy resistance.

I would absolutely LOVE to find out my cellular threshold. Like if I eat 600 calories per meal, no more than 25% carbs.... or I can't handle more than 750 if low carb, or 500 if high carb or whatever. Since cellular energy overload and even direct measures of insulin sensitivity really aren't there yet, I bet this would be way off.

I did get the RMR of like 1890 with a breath test I did, if I remember right, so I'm not as messed as some other thyroid patients (apparently some have such suppressed metabolisms they practically have to do starvation caloric level diets to lose weight...)...but I still just feel like I have more questions than answers.

And having IR and still being morbidly obese with all my other complications, I'm on the yellow brick road to T2D unless I can make more sense of my mess...so, I'm following for interest... Thanks all.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to the T2D scene, but my FBG is always high. I can check an hour after eating supper and taking my metformn. It will be 118 or something. I will have nothing to eat for 10 hours and it will be 140 when I wake up. Next Monday I get my first A1C checked since starting the metforminin, so that will give me a peek into how all this looks averaged out.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Thank you Paleo in Scotland now I understand and will blame my high readings on the flu.

2t9nty
    Good luck with your A1C tomorrow I go for it tomorrow also. And I know the numbers won't be nice.

Oh well it is what it is. Just going to work hard these next three months and hope for lower #.

See you all lighter.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    SYAL - love it!
  • Mellie2fit2quit
    Mellie2fit2quit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    9ee9ebe4-1880-48a4-a00d-ab39fc025e1b_zpsahs3ninl.jpg[/URL]
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Read a lot of good info here. I'm a diabetic and here's a question Why can't I bring down my b/s I have a flu bug for a week and a 1/2 and the lowest I've seen is 8.5 in that time. The last week keeping carbs under 70 but no change.
    Help.

Last A1c I had was higher. My doctor was dancing all around it, expecting me to be upset - even though he thinks it is a perfectly fine number (5.9, I think).

I'm like, '"Doc - I check my blood glucose at least 4x a day. I don't know why you think it is a sruprise that it's higher than the previous A1c . . . "

The reason it was higher - the period the A1c measures incluced 3-4 months of cancer diagnosis, a medical facility that was so frustrating I had to fire them, surgery, and radiation. Just a wee stressor, or two . . . Not only that, but because I'm testing so frequently I know exactly what each stressor does to me. The medical facility - immediate spike of 20-30 points after every single frustrating interaction (on top spiking my blood pressure). The overall experience - an elevation of everything by about 20 (1.1) points. After having fasting readings consistently around 80 (4.4) - I was hovering around 100 (5.5). The between-meal readings? They'd been around 100 (5.5) - but were around 120 (6.7) during most of this period. A little bit of that was eating more food (doctor's orders). But most of it was the stress.

You shoud be back to your normal after the flu passes.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Thank you Paleo in Scotland now I understand and will blame my high readings on the flu.

2t9nty
    Good luck with your A1C tomorrow I go for it tomorrow also. And I know the numbers won't be nice.

Oh well it is what it is. Just going to work hard these next three months and hope for lower #.

See you all lighter.

Let us know how it goes.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You know some people fear the scale, I don't. I fear the freakin meter. My FBS keep going up even though I lowered my carbs BUT I was sick this past week so that may have something to do with it. I have my Dr's appt next Friday so I know she will be doing an A1C and I'm nervous as heck. I do not want to add any meds to the metformin and I WANT to trust that my body will heal itself BUT I want to be wise enough to know when I will need to increase meds for the best of my health. Anybody else feel this way too?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    You know some people fear the scale, I don't. I fear the freakin meter. My FBS keep going up even though I lowered my carbs BUT I was sick this past week so that may have something to do with it. I have my Dr's appt next Friday so I know she will be doing an A1C and I'm nervous as heck. I do not want to add any meds to the metformin and I WANT to trust that my body will heal itself BUT I want to be wise enough to know when I will need to increase meds for the best of my health. Anybody else feel this way too?

How much metformin - sipping or gulping amounts?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Once you change to this WOE, the biggest change in BG will be to your PP reading. FBG reading - especially first thing in the morning - is impacted by the dreaded dawn phenomenon for most with IR and even with many "normal" people. Over time, it should go down some, but don't be surprised if it is always higher than normal.

Since A1c is a measure of "average" BG, avoiding the spikes PP will should still improve your results.

Also, Dr. Fung and others talk about how long it takes to get glycogen stores to lower levels once they have become elevated. He is a big proponent of using fasting to drive down glycogen faster. Keto will lower it, just not as fast.

Assuming I am understanding the research I have read, once you have larger glycogen stores, it can take quite a while before your body adapts to not needing them to be so large to the point where it doesn't push gluconeogenesis from protein in order to keep them at high levels.

The best thing you can do is keep calm and keto on as stress will elevate BG.

Please let us know how your results come out afterwards. I think you may be pleasantly surprised - especially if you have only been testing FBG and not PP BG.
  • genmon00
    Options
    Hi Ralflott,
    I'm taking 1000 mg BID. I wonder how much it can be increased to. I don' t mind increasing it but I do not want to take Januvia (increased my hunger), Actos (gained weight) or Invokana (wicked UTI's and it's no longer covered by insurance).
  • genmon00
    Options

Once you change to this WOE, the biggest change in BG will be to your PP reading. FBG reading - especially first thing in the morning - is impacted by the dreaded dawn phenomenon for most with IR and even with many "normal" people. Over time, it should go down some, but don't be surprised if it is always higher than normal.

Since A1c is a measure of "average" BG, avoiding the spikes PP will should still improve your results.

Also, Dr. Fung and others talk about how long it takes to get glycogen stores to lower levels once they have become elevated. He is a big proponent of using fasting to drive down glycogen faster. Keto will lower it, just not as fast.

Assuming I am understanding the research I have read, once you have larger glycogen stores, it can take quite a while before your body adapts to not needing them to be so large to the point where it doesn't push gluconeogenesis from protein in order to keep them at high levels.

Please let us know how your results come out afterwards. I think you may be pleasantly surprised - especially if you have only been testing FBG and not PP BG.

Thank you! Although I am a big believer that diabetes can be controlled by diet and lifestyle (this my WOE for life), doctor's have drilled into my head that diabetes is a PROGRESSIVE disease that will eventually kill me. I know this not true but its a long held fear. :(
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thank you! Although I am a big believer that diabetes can be controlled by diet and lifestyle (this my WOE for life), doctor's have drilled into my head that diabetes is a PROGRESSIVE disease that will eventually kill me. I know this not true but its a long held fear. :(

I just bumped the Introduction thread - has great info from @albertabeefy on depleting glycogen stores.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Hi Ralflott,
    I'm taking 1000 mg BID. I wonder how much it can be increased to. I don' t mind increasing it but I do not want to take Januvia (increased my hunger), Actos (gained weight) or Invokana (wicked UTI's and it's no longer covered by insurance).

1000mg is actually lower than what many diabetes docs would call a therapeutic dose!

I was corrected by a good endocrinoligist to take at least 1500 and up to 2500, if necessary. She was with you and me on not wanting to add other meds.

(My BG started had creeping up after I dropped my Metformin to 1000g, which followed a Star Wars battle in my guts when my pharmacy switched generics).

She advised that it's best to take Metformin XR in at least two doses daily, and that 1000g at least once a day is preferable, targeted 6-8 hrs before your typical highest BG.

I found 1500g too low and 2250g no different than 2000g. So I take 1000g of Glucophage (brand) 2x daily, and that has worked out pretty well.

@baconslave
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Ok call me dumb if you wish but what is PP BG
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ok call me dumb if you wish but what is PP BG

Ah. Post-prandial blood glucose. Sorry to be talking code!

IR - Insulin resistance
    WOE - way of eating
    SPUD - potato
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Personally, taking Metformin is like swallowing air. It would do virtually nothing for me. I was on 1500 mg/day, so my GP put me on two kinds of insulin, after only one kind wasn't doing enough. My FBG is probably always going to be a bit "high", but then again, what is "normal blood glucose", really?

I feel like the more I stay strict 20g/carbs a day and not worry too much about calories and keep my protein under 80g/day, the better my levels might be, or at least stay the same. But I'm a bit worried that my GP will think 150-170 a.m. FBG and PP BG of between 140-155 is still too high for her liking and wants to put me on something, when Glucophage is not available as a co-pay item thru my insurance. And I am someone whose BG used to be close to 200 in the mornings, never lower than 140-ish pre-meals, and never lower than 170 post-meals...am currentlys not on any drugs whatsoever, since May...controlling BG via diet alone.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Personally, taking Metformin is like swallowing air. It would do virtually nothing for me. I was on 1500 mg/day, so my GP put me on two kinds of insulin, after only one kind wasn't doing enough. My FBG is probably always going to be a bit "high", but then again, what is "normal blood glucose", really?

I feel like the more I stay strict 20g/carbs a day and not worry too much about calories and keep my protein under 80g/day, the better my levels might be, or at least stay the same. But I'm a bit worried that my GP will think 150-170 a.m. FBG and PP BG of between 140-155 is still too high for her liking and wants to put me on something, when Glucophage is not available as a co-pay item thru my insurance. And I am someone whose BG used to be close to 200 in the mornings, never lower than 140-ish pre-meals, and never lower than 170 post-meals...am currentlys not on any drugs whatsoever, since May...controlling BG via diet alone.

That's quite a puzzle. @albertabeefy?
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm not too worried...remember, my first reading at diagnosis in 2007 was clear over 430 fasting...and while 150-170 is high for PP, that's with NO drugs (now, after starting keto), when I used to be almost 200s PP, pre-keto and ON drugs
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »

I just want to share my thread from a few weeks ago:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490291/interesting-dr-follow-up-with-lchf-friendly-doc-for-t2#latest

I think it would be a good idea for you to find out the cause of your high BG. As I found out, I am NOT IR as both my GP and Endo assumed (because that is usually the cause of T2D). My primary issue was/is stress with some micronutrient contributors.

I am not sure where you live, but this website lists some doctors that are LCHF friendly and may be a good thing to check out. You have to scroll down a bit to get to the list. It is on the far right.

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

If you are not IR, then you can take metformin til the cows come home and it likely won't help because one of the primary benefits of it is to make you more insulin sensitive.

Other potential causes of T2D are hormonal imbalance including thyroid as well as under production of insulin. Again, if one of those is the cause, the metformin isn't going to help.