Need Recommendation for Protein Powder & Not Too $$$

Options
Hello!

I want to start incorporating protein shakes in the morning since I tend to skip breakfast and also my husband also needs something in the morning since his stomach can't handle food very early in the morning....

ANYWAYS!

I used to do BeachBody and loved the Shakeology - but seriously - I don't have over $100 a month to spend on a freakin protein drink no matter how good it is. The other thing I liked about Shakeology is that it was low-glycemic and have very little net carbs from what I remember.

I was hoping there was something similar out there that is lchf/keto friendly because I can't afford to try a bunch of different ones until I find the best one. I trust you guys have probably put them all through the ringer so please let me know the best one you have found that doesn't break the bank.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's Soy Protein powder. It's unsweetened, zero carbs, and costs about $15 for a big jar (like gallon sized). I put it in shakes, smoothies, or BPC.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've used isopure 0 carb, the cookies and cream is really good. I think Amazon had them on sale recently. I've also used garden of life smooth chocolate a little higher carb but still worked well for me and tastes good, not to sweet like some others out there.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have not used any of these, but Dr. Westman has some products now https://www.adaptyourlife.com/product/adaptmeal-choc-chip-flavor-13-servings/
    ETA - seems pricey though
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, here's LabDoor's protein supplement scorecard:
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This may sound "snarky" but that is not the intent. Eating in the morning is not a requirement for weight loss nor is the use of protein shakes. If you are unable to eat a sufficient amount of protein or just happen to like protein shakes for any number of reasons then hopefully you will get good suggestions from others.

I lost my excess weight and have maintained the loss for 2 years eating common foods found around the perimeter of a grocery store in the meat, fish, dairy and produce department.

Good for you though for asking for protein shake suggestions if shakes are something you like, will enjoy, need nutritionally and/or may make your weight loss easier. <3
  • thelowcarblady
    thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    This may sound "snarky" but that is not the intent. Eating in the morning is not a requirement for weight loss nor is the use of protein shakes. If you are unable to eat a sufficient amount of protein or just happen to like protein shakes for any number of reasons then hopefully you will get good suggestions from others.

I lost my excess weight and have maintained the loss for 2 years eating common foods found around the perimeter of a grocery store in the meat, fish, dairy and produce department.

Good for you though for asking for protein shake suggestions if shakes are something you like, will enjoy, need nutritionally and/or may make your weight loss easier. <3

I know it's not a requirement -- I just really liked drinking the shakes in the morning for breakfast when I was doing BeachBody and it was an easy way for me to not have to think about breakfast during the week ;)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Cellucor has great tasting protein powders, I usually mix them with 1/2 unsweetened almond or cashew milk and 1/2 water.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I know it's not a requirement -- I just really liked drinking the shakes in the morning for breakfast when I was doing BeachBody and it was an easy way for me to not have to think about breakfast during the week ;)

Cool. May help another reader. Many come here thinking there are many "rules" and there are really very few. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't know how price compares to the one you mentioned but I buy Primal Kitchen for my son. I feel like I can trust the ingredients and it's low carb. I would even have one every now then and I'm generally against any real food replacement.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I see protein powder called for in a lot of recipes on websites (for muffins, mug cakes, and etc.) and I simply leave and go find another recipe, mostly because I don't have any on hand (and don't think I ever will) and also because I already struggle to almost overload on protein just from solid food as it is. I'm also T2 diabetic and reversing it with keto, so the better I can manage to just have a minimal to adequate protein daily intake, the better my BG is hopefully going to be, over time.

That said, smoothies and shakes and whatnot, if people really love them and feel like you will eat them forever, probably a fine breakfast option for anyone. Keto to me is about low carb and high fat, and less about getting in a bunch of protein, plus it's more of a lifestyle to me vs some temporary diet, so I feel like shakes and stuff make seem more like the latter, IMHO.

I see Isopure mentioned a lot, and with positive reviews. Looks like it comes many flavors (Amazon).
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I do not eat, or want breakfast. I don't eat until lunch time and am not hungry in the morning.

I do like http://www.nutrex.com/product/muscle-infusion/ and have the choc banana crunch one. But I don't have it daily, only maybe on a weekend when I get back from a ride or something.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I don't know how they selected what to rank, but lots of EXTREMELY high-quality protein powders are missing from that list.

Including my favourite - IsoSensation 93.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

I don't know how they selected what to rank, but lots of EXTREMELY high-quality protein powders are missing from that list.

Including my favourite - IsoSensation 93.

Aha! Why is it your favorite?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Aha! Why is it your favorite?
    The biggest for me is a combination of overall taste, availability (easy to buy), high and very-pure protein content and price.

The flavours I prefer (Chocolate Fudge and Strawberry) have less than a gram of carbohydrate, virtually no sugars and are 93% protein.

My typical shake is a good scoop of the protein with either 4 or 5 ounces of heavy whipping cream (depending on my caloric needs), the same amount of water, some frozen berries (4-5g of carbohydrate worth at the most) and a small handful of spinach. Post-workout I add BCAA and Glutamine. If I have it pre-workout I do more carbs and add beta-alanine and creatine.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Winco's whey protein powder in bulk. $6.00/lb vs $11 or more per lb for dymetize/elite stuff ive been using. Its unflavored and I like the taste better also.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    and add beta-alanine

buzzzzz :smile: love that stuff
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like biochem whey protein in natural flavor. It's $31 for 24oz. I use it for baking because I don't like to eat a lot of meat. The whey is from grass fed cows.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm using Isopure Zero Carb (Banana Cream) - love it.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    landiodo wrote: »
    The whey is from grass fed cows.
    You may already know this, but for the benefit of others reading the thread, whey protein powder from grass fed cows is unnecessary: grass fed vs. grain fed only affects the fatty acid profile, and since the powder isolates the protein from the fat, the end result is equivalent.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't know @kirkor Thanks for the info!