T2Ds - Info for Medicare Part B coverage of BG testing supplies

RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
Blood glucose testing supplies are covered under Medicare Part B. (They are not prescription items, but rather durable medical equipment, so make sure your supplier bills correctly.)

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/SE1008.pdf
Blood glucose self-testing equipment and supplies are covered for all people with Medicare Part B who have diabetes.
These supplies include:

• Blood glucose monitors;
• Blood glucose test strips;
• Lancet devices and lancets; and
• Glucose control solutions for checking the accuracy of testing equipment and test strips.

Medicare Part B covers the same type of blood glucose testing supplies for people with diabetes whether or not they use insulin. However, the amount of supplies that are covered varies. Medicare provides coverage of blood glucose monitors and associated accessories and supplies for insulin-dependent and non-insulin dependent diabetics based on medical necessity.

It looks like the quantities of these items are determined by your doctor (not by insurance!).

I am looking for info on coverage for blood ketone testing as well.

(My insurance started covering supplies for both glucose and ketone testing supplies, possibly following Medicare. More info here:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10489982/diabetics-insurance-covered-blood-ketone-testing)

@baconslave

Replies

• patti349
    patti349 Posts: 72 Member
    my insurance co (part B) wouldn't cover but once a day testing since I was type 2 and not on insulin and had my diabetes under control. It changed September 2016, at that time I was able to test 7 times a day which my doctor ok'd. I fought the change, but I am doing ok with testing just once a day.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    patti349 wrote: »
    my insurance co (part B) wouldn't cover but once a day testing since I was type 2 and not on insulin and had my diabetes under control. It changed September 2016, at that time I was able to test 7 times a day which my doctor ok'd. I fought the change, but I am doing ok with testing just once a day.

I'll go back and see if the reg has changed. It looked like your doc could dictate testing frequency... But if Medicare's "application" of the medical necessity rule is to say, "you have to be on insulin to get more strips", it seems like that would overlook a galaxy of drugs and combos that can work a hypoglycemic effect.... :/ ... :angry: