Do you even lift bro?

Be9465
Be9465 Posts: 36 Member
Ok guy Bros and gal Bros that pick up heavy stuff. I've read many differing opinions on lifting while eating keto. My first 2 weeks I was lifting 6 days a week with a push, pull, leg split. Heavy the first 3, lighter the next 3. Decided to switch to 3 days a week all heavy instead, for fear of burning up muscle for energy. With 3 days of 20 min. fasted cardio on 3 of my off days. Because I want to earn my bro card and keep it, I've been taking Muscle Pharm's assault preworkout drink, and BPI BCAA'S during my workout. Seems like I have loads of energy albeit not much muscle endurance, due to the fact I don't have much muscle endurance, not my diet. What is your favorite Preworkout? And what kinds of training split do you do? The supplements, I get it, I don't need it, probably placebo effect, but that is still an effect and results are results yeah?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I did Stronglifts 5x5 and switching to Wendler 5/3/1 on Monday.

No supplements.

Do you have lifting experience? If not, I would ditch the bro split and get on a reputable progressive program for beginners.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Kettlebells + Body Resistance ( Burpees, Lunges, Chinups, Pushups ) at the moment, previously done a lot of lifting although not while being on a keto diet.

Conflicting research around pre-workouts, a lot of people suggest a strong cup of black coffee will have the same effect, but the impacts on psychology can be enough to push your body harder (same as response to music, believe it or not)
  • Be9465
    I haven't lifted consistently in about 10 years. Used to lift quite a bit. Currently I'm hitting each body part with 1 exercise 3 sets 8-10 reps. No more than 5 exercises per session. Monday push, Wednesday pull, Friday legs. I was concerned with my volume at 6 days per week.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    If your cardio is getting in the way of your lifting, then I would scale back on that but it would depend on what your goals are.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Cardio Wise, it really does depend on what your goals are.

If you're weight lifting and wanting to add bulk/density then keeping it to around three cardio sessions a week between 20 and 30 minutes would be sufficient to keep your metabolic rate up, preferably interval training.

If you're wanting to boost muscle endurance and be more functional (i.e martial arts, athletics, endurance running) then you need to train cardio accordingly and probably add in some plyometric exercises to access both aerobic and anaerobic exercises. For instance, training for a marathon, I was running four days a week, doing between six and ten km three days a week and around 18-22km once a week combined with cycling and swimming.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 3 days a week.....kettlebells 2 days a week ans jogging on the weekends
  • Be9465
    I guess that could have helped adding my goals LOL. Yeah, I'm just trying to lose bodyfat. That's pretty much my only goal, and just want to maximize my efforts, want to use the proper tools to be most efficient with this WOE. I'd prefer not to peck on a nail with a screw driver for months, if somebody could spare me a hammer ya know?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Right now I'm doing full body 2x/week, will do the same 3x/week next month...usually I lift fasted, so no preworkout for me...I do cardio and stretching every day...I'm low carb not keto, usually under 100g/day
  • SymbolismNZ
    Be9465 wrote: »
    I guess that could have helped adding my goals LOL. Yeah, I'm just trying to lose bodyfat. That's pretty much my only goal, and just want to maximize my efforts, want to use the proper tools to be most efficient with this WOE. I'd prefer not to peck on a nail with a screw driver for months, if somebody could spare me a hammer ya know?

Losing bodyfat will naturally happen as part of being on a calorie deficit; to accelerate that, create a larger calorie deficit through exercise ( i.e Say your diet is a 500 calorie deficit, then you do an average of 300-500 calories of exercise a day and only eat back half, you've now got a 650-750 calorie deficit which will accelerate your weight loss and with it bodyfat )

In terms of recomposition ( i.e creating muscle mass and reducing bodyfat ) - that can be reasonably hard in a calorie deficit but not impossible, doing a good weight lifting program while acting in a calorie deficit will maintain a higher percentage of your lean muscle mass as you lose weight which will have a net/net of meaning lower body fat percentage.

People have had success doing recomposition and calorie deficit at the same time, although what a lot of experts suggest is getting to your goal weight with a calorie deficit, then eating maintenance while progressively increasing the weight you lift.

TL;DR - work on calorie deficit to lower total body weight and body fat will follow, use cardio to increase that calorie deficit where you can and focus on lifting as a way of retaining as much of your muscle as you can while in deficit, then when you're at your goal weight, focus on heavier lifting, less cardio and eating at maintenance and you'll slowly change your body composition overtime.
  • Be9465
    Great stuff @SymbolismNZ that post should be a sticky!!! I did some research and had my calories marked at 500 below maintenance, and burning 500 plus daily through exercise, supposedly = 2lbs. Fat loss per week. Found out my body just isn't that hungry and was force feeding myself for 2 weeks to hit my calorie goal every day. I've since continued to track everything, but eat when hungry and stop when full. My calories vary daily from 1300 to 1700 a day which based on CICO is too low. I did over eat today because I hate throwing food away. I've noticed the more I lose the less it takes to fill up. Used to eat 5 slices of thick bacon and 4 eggs with a cup of spinach. 2 weeks later I took out a slice of bacon. 2 weeks later took away an egg. Today it was just too much, gonna reduce another slice of bacon. So that meal from now on will be 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon. Been reducing ounces of meat in other meals as I notice how full I get with each meal. My main focus has been keeping macros at 70, 25, 5. I've lost 29 lbs. In 6 weeks and feel amazing. Just want to maximize gains/losses and get super lean. Any little tweak or what have you I can make, I'm gonna do it. Just turned 36 and have vowed to see my abs again before I see 37!!!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Any considerations you've read about lifting under keto should mostly apply to the adaptation phase. You might not hit any new PRs but you can keep lifting heavy and maintain strength.
    Take a look at the TKD for timing carbs around a workout: http://ketogains.com/2015/10/the-ketogains-tkd-targeted-ketogenic-diet-protocol/
    I don't always supplement, but for BCAA's I've been using Scivation Xtend and have been happy.
    For preworkout, I've used both Assault and Celllucor's C4 ... now I have my own homemade mix, having bought raw beta alanine, ALCAR, citrulline malate, etc.

@samanthaluangphixay even though he was referencing "bro" etc., PPL isn't considered a bro split.