Low carb and emotional eating

Options
I would like to cut my carbs down to under 100. How ever I have so much stress and when I am stressed and emotional I can't control what I eat. I feel horrible about it but I can't control it. It's insane. Help. Any tricks or ideas

Replies

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Make sure that wherever you live or work, there's nothing but LCHF/keto goodies around, so that when you DO decide to go crazy, it's not full-on bad for you.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    IMO, availability of such carbage is key. If it is not easily accessible, you will have less.

As for replacements, I would avoid nuts based on what you stated as they are very easy to overdo. Some options which may work are pumpkin seeds - not just the kernels, but the whole seeds. They should easily fit into a plan only staying under 100 carbs. For those staying under 20, they may not be as good. The reason I suggest these is 1) they taste good, 2) they are something that you can't eat as fast as many other LC snacks from a calorie standpoint because they require more chewing.

Sunflower seeds are an option if spitting out shells is an option. Again, this is a food that takes much longer to eat than most. However, unlike pumpkin seeds, I can't imagine actually eating the shell portion.

Gum can also be a good option for some.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    IMO, availability of such carbage is key. If it is not easily accessible, you will have less.

As for replacements, I would avoid nuts based on what you stated as they are very easy to overdo. Some options which may work are pumpkin seeds - not just the kernels, but the whole seeds. They should easily fit into a plan only staying under 100 carbs. For those staying under 20, they may not be as good. The reason I suggest these is 1) they taste good, 2) they are something that you can't eat as fast as many other LC snacks from a calorie standpoint because they require more chewing.

Sunflower seeds are an option if spitting out shells is an option. Again, this is a food that takes much longer to eat than most. However, unlike pumpkin seeds, I can't imagine actually eating the shell portion.

Gum can also be a good option for some.

Great way to get extra sodium too. I used to eat them quite a bit and stayed under 25g with no problem. You really don't eat very many because they take too long to eat!

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Everyone recommends getting rid of carbage, but many times that isn't feasible (like having a Bob, like me).

I do keto, so it's much more detrimental to eat carbs. Ketosis gets harder to get into, for me, when I yo yo in and out.

Anyhow, YES YOU CAN! Thoughts are very important! Believing in yourself is very important! Can't is a word that you can eliminate from your vocab. If you choose to do it, then you effectively WON'T be making better decisions regarding food.

Does that make sense?
    Believe me, I'm an emotional eater too and have succumbed plenty. BUT. I CAN and I WILL keep trucking, one I CAN at a time. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you can avoid drinking Drano (even just strawberry Drano), you can avoid other toxins!

Very much worth watching:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10445274/carbohydrate-addiction-for-real
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If you can avoid drinking Drano (even just strawberry Drano), you can avoid other toxins!

Chocolate Mint Chip Drano > Strawberry Draino
  • RalfLott
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

Chocolate Mint Chip Drano > Strawberry Draino

Hard to argue that fine point!
  • chickyniki_99
    chickyniki_99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I am moving Saturday. So I will be trying to get myself back on track during the coming week
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I prefer the weasel words, "I'd rather eat a bowl of broken glass."
  • RalfLott
    Options
    With dog stools.
  • ShanBanKrup
    ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello has been a lifesaver for me when I want to binge and feel guilt free about it. They run 10 cals for 1 cup of jello and about 2 grams protein and that's about it. It's actually quite filling too and makes u feel satisfied. I love sweets and desserts are my downfall so I made a Pinterest board of low carb desserts that I can indulge in without the guilt. I love cheesecake and chocolate anything so those were fun to find in low carb recipes. I actually tried a chocolate pudding that I found so yummy and good for cravings. 1 tbsp special dark cocoa powder, 1Tbsp cornstarch, 1/2 c milk or half and half (I used a combo of almond milk and carbmaster milk by Kroger brand but coconut milk is good too), a dash of sweetener (stevia), microwave for 1 min and stir and chill in fridge for about 4 hrs and it's so yummy. Anyways yea I'm an emotional eater too so I get the struggle. Feel free to message me if you wanna chat. It's helpful to think about your triggers and what make u feel the need to binge and then go from there in finding how to use different behaviors and tools instead of over eating. Anyways hugs ❤