Weekly Post 08.01. - 14.01.2017

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
Had a good and active weekend. 22000+ steps today... Foodwise within my cals...that doesn't happen often on weekends :# . 3 fast days planned for this week and meals are ready, so bring it on.

Had a bit of a scare today on my way back from my walk. A big fire in the middle of my village. Nobody hurt but one building is ruined and two others badly damaged. The houses in the village center are mainly wood frames and built very close together, most are a 100-300yrs old but have been renovated. After the FD left late afternoon, 3 fire trucks just came back with their sirens on. Hope it's not to serious now. I'm in no danger, but it's close to home and I do feel bad for the owners of the houses there!

Wish you a good week!

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Oh no!!! I hope everyone is ok!!
    Crappy weekend food wise but lots of steps. Tomorrow's fast day is going to be awesome
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Oh Karen I love your enthusiasm! ^^^

Sorry to hear about the fire Flumi, I've seen house fire 2 houses away from us and to see flames up close that big is very scary indeed!

So how do you people record your steps? Just wondering, as I downloaded a new app over the holidays (thought it would be a fun change) only to delete it a week later. I've primarily used "map my walk" as it can sync with MFP. I've also discovered that walking in the mall (yes, 'mall walking') burns way more calories than regular street walking...? I suppose it's because I'm not slowing to look both ways before crossing streets maybe? Idk anyone else tried that and compared that to outdoor walking?

Making a big pot of turkey soup today so I may include enough wine to keep it from being a fd ! Ha! Not great nutritionally, but excellent for the spirit! >:)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Today went well. Zero to eat all day. Then a small meal. Yummy grilled little piece of lamb marinated in lemon juice and garlic. Served up over crunchy salad.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    First FD of the week planned for today. I got an email over the weekend from the director of the ballet studio I used to take class (but occasionally still pop in) to see if I'd want to be in this year's performance of Midsummer Nights Dream. Umm...YOU DONT NEED TO ADK ME TWICE!!!!!! So so excited. Beyond excited. It's just what I needed. So, game on with my weight. What better incentive than being on stage?!?

Now, to bring the room down a bit...

Flumi, I've seen my share of burning buildings and my husband is a firefighter, so I hear about them all the time. They are so destructive and I don't know what's worse, the fire or the displacement that follows.

Mama, I have found difficulties with step counters in that I'm never sure if I shoot for 10000 steps in addition to walking or separate from it. If I do another type of exercise, then the 10000 steps is in addition to it, so it confuses me. Not sure about that.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    First fast is in the books...another one tomorrow.

I use the samsung health app as a step counter when i go walking. The burned cals aren't always as accurate as my garmin hrm. The app is pretty good though.

Have a great day!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I am having my first real fast in a while. So far, so good!
    I use android and the app is just called Pedometer. It has a blue icon with two white feet. Hope this helps!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Well I've hardly had anything food wise and I'm already up to 454 cals @ 2:30pm! Plan to have the last of my homemade turkey soup again for dinner so not a successful fd but not too bad either! Also plan on boiling the kettle immediately after dinner so I stick with a bit of tea tonight! Ahhhhh... maybe planning ahead really works ;)

I only record my separate walks and if I just go to the grocery store I don't bother counting that sort of stuff, but I'm pretty sure when my phone is in my pocket, steps are accumulated and adjusted to my total with MFP, but im not really sure as sometimes it seems like I've done lots of extra walking but MFP isn't showing it..? It is confusing..... I guess we all use something different, with different phones etc... I suppose what ever works!

A BIG congratulations to Flossy!!! You must be on cloud 9!!! That's a definite motivator! How exciting for you :)
    Cheers everyone!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    A quick check-in with my first fast of the week nearly complete.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    How cool is that Flossy! Congrats!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Flossy. That is and will be a great motivator.

I use a fitbit and it adjusts my MFP calories down to a more realistic level.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Thanks, guys!! I am super excited!! I had a somewhat successful fast yesterday. We did wind up eating out to celebrate my son passing his driving permit test :# I am both excited and nervous at the same time. He starts behind the wheel training on Sunday, barring any more rain. We are getting quite a bit here in Central California. Way more than we are used to, which is typically none. We are so picky out here. We complain when we don't have any rain and complain when we do. :p
  • Marmitegeoff
    Options
    Bad fast day today, I was doing well until this evening when my chimp came out to play. Not good, never mind a lighter day tomorrow and then a fd on Thursday should put me back on track.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    By chimp, do you mean an actual primate or your child, who may act like a chimp. My 15 year old can act like babboon, so I get it.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Options
    It comes from the Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters. I find it a brilliant book on helping to understand people.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Options
    The chimp is in your head,
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Ah...thank you, Geoff. I had a whole story in my head about you being similar to BJ and the Bear or Every Which Way But Loose, two very similar shows (TV and film, respectively) about a guy and his primate. I think both guys drive semi trucks, so I my mind you also drove a big semi truck which then led to a whole Smokey and the Bandit thing going on with CB radios and sheriffs chasing after you. My bad :p
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Fast day planned for tomorrow. I am doing pretty well this week. But serious prayers are needed for the rest of this week. I work with children and we have a storm system coming in, a full moon and Friday is the 13th. There might be yelling and crying (and the kids might yell and cry, too).
  • Marmitegeoff
    Options
    Ah...thank you, Geoff. I had a whole story in my head about you being similar to BJ and the Bear or Every Which Way But Loose, two very similar shows (TV and film, respectively) about a guy and his primate. I think both guys drive semi trucks, so I my mind you also drove a big semi truck which then led to a whole Smokey and the Bandit thing going on with CB radios and sheriffs chasing after you. My bad :p

I am no where near as exciting as that. I am semi retired and repair push bikes for people to stop me getting bored. and I am now just off to volunteer at the local library, to help others who are not as able, Then later I will do some more preparation for a talk I am giving about the Orkney Islands, and their Neolithic history, They have stone circles that are 500 to 1000 years older than Stonehenge. Be warned I can get very boring on the subject.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Options
    wfk08wjdooo5.jpg
    These are the Stones of Stennes and the big one on the right is about 3.2 meters out of the ground and about half that in the ground, so a big block of stone to move and erect. All done 5000 years ago, well before the pyramids of Egypt.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Stone circles are many things but never boring! Very special places.