Heavy Whipping Cream brands

Options

Replies

• closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Checked out a different Costco location, and they had the 1/2 gallon of Horizon for 9.99 so that seems like a nice intersection of price and quality.

As you can see, I did my research:

qzsEVG1.png

I could literally run into you at the grocery. Same neighborhood and everything. :)
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Well, it can make *more* sense in your situation, depending on what you purchase, because when buying in bulk the price per serving is often lower. But for LCHF since we eat more fat & meat we don't always get the bulk savings like people who buy sacks of rice and beans. I find that I get better meat deals when I cruise the sales at local ethnic grocery stores rather than hitting Costco. Coconut oil seems pretty similar between Vitacost, Costco, and Amazon depending on the month.
    In your situation, finding a friend who has a Costco card probably makes the most sense.

Forgot to mention I don't drive a car, and my nearest Costco is out in BFE, about 20 minute drive away. Not everyone I love and am friends with wants to shuttle me out to that territory, for sure. I use my local grocery store delivery service and am very happy with it, but like I said, it's been a few years since I've been out there, I wouldn't mind taking a look see, in terms of what's there for LCHF WOE since I was not following this lifestyle back when I last visited. Other than that, I don't believe I'm missing that much. I sure can't put a ton of bulk meat into my apartment freezer right now, and that's about all I can really imagine I'm missing at the moment.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Thank you. I think I'll be buying the expensive kind from now on..... no idea it triggered inflammation. Could this be part of the reason I haven't lost in months?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Yipes.
    Many individuals experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms (ranging from mild “belly bloat,” to irritable bowel syndrome, to severe inflammatory bowel disease) have noticed that eliminating carrageenan from the diet leads to profound improvements in their gastrointestinal health.

http://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CarageenanReport-2016.pdf
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Oh my. Yeah, I'm avoiding this from now on...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Thank you. I think I'll be buying the expensive kind from now on..... no idea it triggered inflammation. Could this be part of the reason I haven't lost in months?

@DianaElena76 - I wish I even had that option. Of my 4 locals stores, there is not a single option without the additive...even the organic here has it. *sigh* #countdowntomoving
  • RalfLott
    Options

@DianaElena76 - I wish I even had that option. Of my 4 locals stores, there is not a single option without the additive...even the organic here has it. *sigh* #countdowntomoving

@KnitOrMiss - Grounds for hope, perhaps?.... it seems that the some of the "healthy" positioned brands are moving away from it. According to Cornucopia's carageenan buying guide, many dairy products no longer contain carageenan.

• ceceblackstock327
    ceceblackstock327 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Organic Pastures Raw Heavy Cream all the way!! You can only get it if you live in CA though...
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've actually never looked for additives in my whipping cream as I do with everything else I put into my body. I just go to the milk section and look for whipping cream in a mini milk container. It's typically 35% fat and I had just assumed that it was just cream. I'm in Canada and normally use Dairyland or Lactancia Brand.
  • JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I always buy Knudsen, but this post made me go to the fridge and check out the ingredients- surprise, there's carrageenan in my cream
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I sent a FB message to Knudsen asking them if they have any heavy cream products without additives, and that I would be switching brands for now until they sell a heavy cream where the only ingredient is heavy cream.

Good for you! Keep us posted, eh?

I've written to companies quite a few times, often simply to request more info on product content, but seldom have I gotten anything resembling a thoughtful reply.

But still.... consumers' voices need to be heard above the din.

So let's resolve to squeak on!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @JessiokaFroka did you ever hear back?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Here's Cornucopia's guide to avoiding dairy products with carageenan:
    https://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/

And here's its ranking of dairies:
    https://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html

Note the dismal rating for Horizon....
    Maple Hill and Organic Valley fare much better.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My daughter lives in central California and there are a lot of feed lots there with dairy cows all owed by Land of Lakes. Those poor cows live their entire lives on huge piles of manure. They wouldn't know what to do with a blade of green grass if they saw one, and I am fairly sure that they never have seen anything green on their side of the fence. Since driving by these humongous dairy farms I now refuse to buy anything that is made by land of lakes. I'm sorry, by those mild factories are disgraceful. I grew up on a dairy farm, and I know how cows should be treated and that is not it. I quite literally quit drinking milk because of those dairies.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    poli22 wrote: »
    My daughter lives in central California and there are a lot of feed lots there with dairy cows all owed by Land of Lakes. Those poor cows live their entire lives on huge piles of manure. They wouldn't know what to do with a blade of green grass if they saw one, and I am fairly sure that they never have seen anything green on their side of the fence. Since driving by these humongous dairy farms I now refuse to buy anything that is made by land of lakes. I'm sorry, by those mild factories are disgraceful. I grew up on a dairy farm, and I know how cows should be treated and that is not it. I quite literally quit drinking milk because of those dairies.

I'm with you completely. Plus LOL, as it were, adds carageenan to many of its products. (You also have to watch "cage-free" eggs, which, similarly, may be laid by hens who never see the light of day....)

My strategy is to shop at co-ops and small independent grocers who carry some local products, and wander by the cold clearance section a couple times a week.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    https://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/

Trader Joe's cream is listed on the "contains carageenan" side, which is true for their regular cream. Their organic cream doesn't have it. It costs a bit more, but may well be worth it to avoid the carageenan.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

Trader Joe's cream is listed on the "contains carageenan" side, which is true for their regular cream. Their organic cream doesn't have it. It costs a bit more, but may well be worth it to avoid the carageenan.

Thanks for the tip.

I know some companies made noises about not using carageenan any more, and the organic standards board recently voted to disallow it in organic food, so we should be seeing changes.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Same here. Well, I don't really know because I haven't looked, but I'm certain they are all the same. There are 2 grocery stores in my town (next town is around 25-30 miles and has the same 2 stores + a Wal-Mart). I'm pretty sure they have Blue Bunny, A&E, and store brand (which is actually made by one of those name-brand dairies mentioned, but they put the store brand label on it). Anyway, I'll have to make a note to verify next time I shop. I only have 1 T. (if that) left (that is how much I normally put in my morning 5 cups of coffee), so it is time to shop anyway.
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of it before reading this post - thankfully my cream (store brand - non organic cheap stuff) does not contain it. It can be sneaky though not always listed clearly :( ... In Australia, foods containing carrageenan will contain one of the following labels: ‘vegetable gum (407)’, ‘carrageenan gum’, or ‘vegetable gum (carrageenan)’. In the United States, food containing carrageenan will say ‘carrageenan’ on the label and in Europe it will say ‘E407’ or ‘E407a’.