My n=1 error

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
I know many, if not most, here believe in doing n=1 experiments with themselves, which I think is the best thing to do given no two people are exactly alike. However, I wanted to post this because I thought if I made this mistake, it may be helpful to some out there to avoid doing the same.

In trying to get my BG down, I had read how both excess protein and some artificial sweeteners can raise BG for people who are IR. Both my PCP and Endo had stated I was IR. Last year, I spent a few months testing my blood before and after just about everything and thought I would test each of these.

In my n=1, it seemed I was in the group that was negatively affected by both of these. This really sucked. Although I don't use sweeteners much, I do like Diet Dr. Pepper. That is about the only thing I ever had that used artificial sweeteners.

Then, after a much longer story I posted in another thread (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490291/interesting-dr-follow-up-with-lchf-friendly-doc-for-t2#latest), I found out I am not IR and my elevated BG is primarily a result of stress and some micronutrient deficiencies. This got me questioning why I would have gotten the results I did on those 2 n=1 experiments if I was not IR, so I have been repeating them.

The results are that neither seem to be elevating my BG at all. In fact, reintroducing the Diet Dr Pepper might be slightly lowering my lunch PP reading a couple points. Some have suggested caffeine can help lower BG, and lunch is when I drink this, so maybe....

After really looking back at the timing of my n=1 experiments last year, I realized I did them during the time when my family was living in a small apartment due to our house being destroyed by softball sized hail. I was working as the general contractor to save some cost so we could do some upgrades as part of the repairs. This also included me doing quite a bit of the work myself. I was going to my house every morning before work to do things like rip down the ceiling drywall that had to be replaced, ripping up flooring, painting, etc. I was also going there after work on some days and spending much of my weekends there. I think, by just about anyone's standards, it was a stressful time.

What I learned, and am trying to express here is if you do n=1 experimentation, you really need to make sure that the ONLY thing that has changed is what you are testing. In my case, the added stress I had placed on myself turns out to be the real n=1 experiment.

In case you are wondering how hail could be so damaging, in addition to being softball sized, we had winds in excess of 70 mph. The storm was April 11th of last year and we still have 3 or 4 people on my street alone who have not been able to move back into their houses. It didn't help that it rained every day for about two weeks afterwards, so the literally hundreds of holes in my roof (even after being tarped) leaked through constantly ruining much of the inside of my house. And of course with that wind, windows were shattered and glass was all over the house.

Anyway, the point being, be careful you are actually measuring what you mean to be measuring and not some factor you may not have thought about.

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen . I feel for you. That can be so very stressful. We had a house fire about 15 years ago and lost everything. Just the damage to your home is stressful enough. But then the upheaval of having to live somewhere in the interim and trying to get back to a normal life keeps the stress going nonstop. It took us almost 2 years to get to a point where we even felt like we were starting to get to where we could stop and breathe and start enjoying life again. Hope it is better for you now.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    @cstehansen . I feel for you. That can be so very stressful. We had a house fire about 15 years ago and lost everything. Just the damage to your home is stressful enough. But then the upheaval of having to live somewhere in the interim and trying to get back to a normal life keeps the stress going nonstop. It took us almost 2 years to get to a point where we even felt like we were starting to get to where we could stop and breathe and start enjoying life again. Hope it is better for you now.

Thanks. We officially moved back into the house at the end of August. However, I didn't finish the last of the repairs (like replacing the shed and some painting) until early December. We still have a lot of unpacking to do, though. Back to normal still seems a long way away, but, we are blessed at how far along we are and that only material items were damaged/destroyed. There were no injuries despite being home at the time and having glass flying everywhere and some of the hail actually coming through the ceiling, not just the roof.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen I'd been wondering about this. And I live in perpetual stress-crap-storm life, so I'm still shocked as to why my glucose hasn't risen, but my body still does the "fat to protect your body" thing...but my cortisol and such are still high, and it contributes to my difficulties losing weight, so I'm still utterly fascinated by how the same factor can cause similar reactions to different systems like that... Love following your experiments!
  • swezeytba
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    There were no injuries despite being home at the time and having glass flying everywhere and some of the hail actually coming through the ceiling, not just the roof.

That's a definite blessing....Those high winds can be very damaging. Went through a couple tornados when we lived in Oklahoma. :) We were lucky too that we weren't home when our house caught on fire as it started in the middle of the night when we were on vacation. We might not have been able to get out.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    You know, when even top researchers find bugs in their experiments, you realize that n=1 trials can be extremely hard to control - even if you could measure all the variable you can think of....

I'm thinking about a few n=1 potshots in 2017... First up is to see if what I thought protein did to my BG in early 2016 is close to what it seems to do in early 2017. (After having lost significant lean tissue in 2016 :s, I have to accept that I screwed the pooch somewhere along the line.)

Best to keep Phinney's humble words in mind, "I view my own data with utmost skepticism."
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen, I'm confident your unrelenting efforts to regulate your BG is well...stressful.

I'm not suggesting you stop experimenting/testing/researching/observing. Just stating it might be stressful.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @cstehansen, I'm confident your unrelenting efforts to regulate your BG is well...stressful.

I'm not suggesting you stop experimenting/testing/researching/observing. Just stating it might be stressful.

Agreed. This is part of the reason my protein is up. It was less about experimenting with that and more about not meticulously tracking macros (except avoiding carbs), and more about just making good food choices. My only logging of food has been to log until I hit the needed protein for that one challenge MFP has and if I was eating from a restaurant and wanted to get the nutritional info. For me, trying to keep protein down around 1 g per kg of body weight was tough because of being so active and consuming 3200-3500 calories a day. 85 g of protein plus 20 g of carbs only accounts for 420 calories. Trying to get nearly 3000 calories in fat a day is hard.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Haha. For some of us nutcases :*, not testing can be more stressful (like not checking whether you remembered to zip your fly.... )
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes environment is indeed hard to control as a variable. You may want to serve as your own control group too by using a cross over type design. Hawthorne effect is yet another factor to consider when analyzing results; did simply conducting an experiment on the participant bias them in any way to act/behave in a manner conducive to achieve the desired results?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    The body doesn’t care who is "right".

The anger that can shoot up when someone cuts you in traffic or the all corridor politics at work...is it really worth it to rile up the cortisol and bloodsugar? Anger is just cloaked fear. So find your inner yoda and peace out :)Being in the right all the time can be a very expensive mindset to pursue. Yep, I'm working on it.

Timeless wisdom, @Foamroller. Thanks for the reminder.

(If only ketones could cure Type A personality disorder....)
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Thank you @Foamroller

Life here is just too short to not try to help others and to get worked up over things that won't matter in 5 years or even in 5 minutes in some cases.

My stress tends to be more with myself. Personal expectations are much higher than I have for anyone else. Generally they are probably unrealistic. Trying to cut myself some slack here and there.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Welcome to the human race. Dare to be average (even if only on every other Tuesday).
  • swezeytba
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Thank you @Foamroller

My stress tends to be more with myself. Personal expectations are much higher than I have for anyone else. Generally they are probably unrealistic. Trying to cut myself some slack here and there.

I feel you....I'm the same way....When I was younger I still put high expectations on myself, but it didn't seem to stress me out as much as it does now that I'm older. I know that I can't be perfect, but I still find myself thinking that I should be. :)
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful, insightful thread. I agree that stress is a huge contributor to our health issues. That said...while I have been successful at eliminating a lot of stress in my life, I tend to replace let go stresses with new stresses (mostly with taking on family issues because I feel the obligation). I have yet to learn how to successfully meditate for more than two minutes...still working on that. In the meantime, I will rely on long walks with my dog, a daily good physical workout, a glass of wine or two a day and L-theanine. I wish I liked yoga more than I do.

To all my LCHF friends...take care of yourselves. When I was active duty, I was reminded that no one cared more about my career and career progression than myself...and that it was in my best interest to be my own best advocate. I am learning to apply that to life in general...no one cares more about my health, my well-being and my relationships than myself, so I damned well be my own best advocate.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Best questions to ask ourselves anytime we are feeling under the gun... Will this matter in 5 days, 5 months, 5 years? The trick is to listen to the answer.. I'm trying to use this line of reasoning in my head whenever I get uptight about anything.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Nurish Balance Thrive is a podcast by the guy who hosted the Keto Summit last year. I just listened to one of them from last September where he interviewed Joshua Fields Millburn who is one of the authors of The Minimalists. I would recommend looking into this for anyone who is feeling stressed. Often the stuff we acquire or strive to acquire causes more stress than the joy we are seeking. Soon the stuff owns us instead of the other way around. Listening to this guy reminded me of my dad's definition of his boat - "a hole in the water where he throws his money."

As my family is resettling and unpacking (still) from the big storm that put us out of our house last year, we are being very intentional in what we keep and what we get rid of. I am hard pressed to keep things. Most stuff is going to The Salvation Army, the trash or the recycling bin at this point. It really is like having weights lifted off me.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Hi just curious. This hail storm that hit your house. This was in Texas? I'm so sorry to hear about your house and all the stress it has caused you.

Also very insightful how that added stress had such a huge impact.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Hi just curious. This hail storm that hit your house. This was in Texas? I'm so sorry to hear about your house and all the stress it has caused you.

Also very insightful how that added stress had such a huge impact.

Thanks. Yes. Small(ish) town about 30 miles NE of Dallas.